Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
    I know that this is logical, and it is nice new programs are joining the College Hockey world, but man this move is just at best a non-needle mover and at worst an image problem for the CCHA.
    ????
    Why's that? It's no worse than letting in ASU or UST.

I get it's weird given the hockey team is a consolation prize for the AD's failure to join something called a "Summit League," but there's a lot of upside here, especially geographically. Though I think most people forgot about the former already anyway.

At least they'll have a chance to compete in the CCHA. They'd get obliterated in the NCHC, and the Big 10 obviously won't let them in.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Why's that? It's no worse than letting in ASU or UST.

I get it's weird given the hockey team is a consolation prize for the AD's failure to join something called a "Summit League," but there's a lot of upside here, especially geographically. Though I think most people forgot about the former already anyway.

At least they'll have a chance to compete in the CCHA. They'd get obliterated in the NCHC, and the Big 10 obviously won't let them in.

Augie does nothing to better the image of the CCHA, ASU at least would, being a program that's made the playoffs and is D1 in all sports.

In all honesty to me the only way this makes sense is if the CCHA knows that the NCHC is about to invite MSU, which is highly unlikely at this point

Comment

Augie does nothing to better the image of the CCHA, ASU at least would, being a program that's made the playoffs and is D1 in all sports.

In all honesty to me the only way this makes sense is if the CCHA knows that the NCHC is about to invite MSU, which is highly unlikely at this point
        This is college hockey, all moves are non-needle movers. What do you expect?

Comment

Not sure why I thought ASU was already in the CCHA, seems like that would be the best fit for them.

That being said, what image does the CCHA have, or the NCHC for that matter? The most nationally recognized name between the two is Bowling Green, and North Dakota at a distant second. It's nice to see the CCHA add a team that's not in po-dunk, rural midwest for once - not that Sioux Falls is a big city by any means, but it's a lot better than St. Cloud or Grand Forks.

It's a far greater hit to the CCHA's image to have a team implode in spectacular fashion on national TV than it is to add Augie.

At least Augie will have a D1 arena and D1 roster when they start. UST had a mid-tier D3 team for their first puck drop and some random arena nobody has ever been too. Have they even drawn a crowd since going D1? AU hockey will be a hit in Sioux Falls, as the Stampede are already well supported.

Comment

One thing I've been thinking about having gone to a handful of USHL games this season - it seems like the I-29 teams all have some sort of rivalry with each other. Fargo, Sioux Falls, Sioux City, and Omaha.

Swapping Grand Forks for Sioux City - if NDSU joined with hockey, that would be pretty interesting. I highly doubt this will happen, but has there ever been a rumbling of the Bison adding hockey?

Would love to see my neighbor SDSU do the same, but that's the definition of a pipe dream given Brookings couldn't even support an NAHL team.

Comment

As a Lake Superior State alum, I can say a LOT of the CCHA fans want to hold to the glory days of the 80s and 90s when they had U of Mich, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc.
              Those days are long gone, but older fans want to cling to the days of being a true powerhouse conference, and not the reality that the current incarnation of the CCHA is the equivalent of a mid-major.

Adding Augie will probably be good in the long run. Unfortunately, the traditional CCHA crowd will see it as nothing more than a marginal add.

Comment

Originally posted by WhyNotMinot View Post

As a Lake Superior State alum, I can say a LOT of the CCHA fans want to hold to the glory days of the 80s and 90s when they had U of Mich, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc.
                Those days are long gone, but older fans want to cling to the days of being a true powerhouse conference, and not the reality that the current incarnation of the CCHA is the equivalent of a mid-major.

Adding Augie will probably be good in the long run. Unfortunately, the traditional CCHA crowd will see it as nothing more than a marginal add.
                It's my understanding that the CCHA is an entirely different entity as the previous one disbanded - like the XFL 2.0/2.1 is not the same legal entity as XFL 1.0. Regardless, it's funny to me that fans think it should have the same prominence since the four letters are the same as the one that existed 8 years prior.

Besides MSU, and BSU - it's not a great conference. Might be time to just accept it and enjoy the hockey. Not every conference can be the best.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

It's my understanding that the CCHA is an entirely different entity as the previous one disbanded - like the XFL 2.0/2.1 is not the same legal entity as XFL 1.0. Regardless, it's funny to me that fans think it should have the same prominence since the four letters are the same as the one that existed 8 years prior.

Besides MSU, and BSU - it's not a great conference. Might be time to just accept it and enjoy the hockey. Not every conference can be the best.
                  You're spot on. Other than MSU and BSU (and LSSU but I'm bias and holding on to the old glory days), there needs to be acceptance that the conference may not be the best out there, but when the CCHA reformed, a return to prominence was what a lot of the Michigan based, old school fans were hoping for.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X