Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Food Guide

Well I did some looking at couldn't find the previous food guides. Figured with us fans getting ready to go to stadiums again it might be fun to start a new thread.
    Winona

Bar and Grills - Bubs and Jeffersons have good burgers and chicken sandwiches.

Pizza - Rocco's is king. The Rocco Taco is a must try.

Sandwiches - Blooming Grounds has good wraps, Acoustic Cafe and Winona Sandwich company have never steered me wrong.

Nicer sit downs - Nosh, Signatures Grill, and the Boat House. Boat House has amazing Juicy Lucy's they use cheese curds in their patties.

Pizza- Jake Stadium- just a few blocks east of Blakeslee. Pagliai's- downtown.

Close to campus- Johnnie B's Sports Bar.

Nice eating- Charlies.

Oddly I rarely eat in Mankato. Other people would know a lot more than I would. To me a treat is stopping at Zanz's for a chilito.

Comment

A tailgatin' must, before or after, imo, is the broasted chicken from the Chicken Connection in Marshall. The Starving Rooster, in Minot, is always good for a post-game AMB and wood-fired flat bread pizza. Stopped at Senor Wiener in Sioux Falls a couple times before they closed. Another victim of PCBS (I find it interestin' that you can easily find their original TV ad on the 'net). Pizza Ranch is pretty good, convenient and consistent, for a franchise. No other places seem to stand out. Bon appetit!

Comment

I went to Duluth for the weekend, ate a few of the more well known places such as grandma's but I must say the 2 best places we went were OMC Smokehouse on the first night for supper it is in the Lincoln Park area of town, and Uncle Louie's for breakfast the last day of the trip.
        OMC has amazing ribs, and the brisket was great but ask for the Beef Fat fries, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Nice eating- Charlies.

Oddly I rarely eat in Mankato. Other people would know a lot more than I would. To me a treat is stopping at Zanz's for a chilito.
          Always wanted to try Zanz. I've driven by it many times. Laker approved, I take it?

Comment

Let's see what I got... This post might get long. Presented in no particular order:

Minnesota State

Places I've eaten:

Weggy's (University Square, across the street from the Taylor Center)

-It's the most "Maverick" place I've eaten at in terms of atmosphere. Food is alright, it's more of a cheap college bar. Burgers and the like. They're not your typical athletic supporter, or so they've been advertised at basketball games.

Ummie's (Front Street)

-Love the burgers here. Really good. More on the expensive side.

Pagliai's (Front Street)

-Great pizza, though the one I had was party cut. Billie Joe Armstrong's wife Adrienne once worked here, which is honestly why I went.

Rounder's (Front Street)

-Love the food here, though the place is quite popular on Friday/Saturday night with the college kids. I only go during the day.

Happy Chef (US 169)

-It's a bit out of the way, but it's also the original restaurant, and the only one left in existence. Food is worth the stop, and they also got the statue working again.

1000 Degrees Pizza (Madison Ave.)

-Probably the best chain pizza I've ever had. Mankato and Willmar are the only two franchises in MN, so it's "local" in that regard.

Fast Food: **Wendy's** (Madison Ave), Charley's (Mall Food Court), A&W (Mall Food Court)

Places I want to try:

Zanz (Madison Ave.)
            The Hub - Food Truck Spot (Riverfront)
            Polito's Pizza (Front St.)
            Dino's Pizza (Belgrade, North Mankato)
            Spinner's Bar (Belgrade, North Mankato)
            Prairie Saloon & Grill (Webster St., Kasota)
            Blue Moon (Webster St., Kasota)

Southwest Minnesota State

Places I've eaten:

Varsity Pub (Main St.)

-Known for their paninos. Pretty good and fairly inexpensive if I remember correctly.

The Hitching Post (Main St.)

-Burgers and the like.

Wooden Nickel (Main St.)

-The best burgers in Marshall, IMO. Pretzel buns are the best. Pretty popular spot.

Hunan Lion (Main St.)

-Great Chinese place with a small bar - though it's not a buffet.

Mike's Cafe (East College)

-Closest local spot to the college. Happy Chef/Perkins style menu. I don't like that they shaved off the Happy Chef tower though.

Toni's Depot (Main Street)

-Train-themed restaurant in a truck-stop gas station. Gotta love that.

Chicken Connection (Main Street)

-It's located on the residential stretch of Main Street, but it's not hard to find. Met the owners once and they are pretty passionate about chicken, so that's how you know it's good.

Four Seas (East College)

-Standard Chinese buffet, but sometimes I'm in the mood for that - y'know?

Fast Food: Nothing really sticks out here, it's pretty standard. Taco John's and Culver's tend to be quite popular.

Places I want to try:

KB's (Burlingame St., Ghent)
            Leroy's (1st St., Cottonwood)

Augustana/USF

Taphouse 41 (41st St.)

-One of the best restaurants I've ever eaten in. It's tucked away in a little strip-mall type building. Not for the kiddos though, they won't let anyone under 21 in regardless of who they are accompanied with.

Fast Food: Popeye's, Sonic

Oddly enough - I don't recall eating at any other local places in SF. Usually not there long enough to eat at a sit-down place. I really need to check out more places down there.

Comment

I'll throw in Texas Road House- I've been to the ones in Sioux City, Sioux Falls and St Cloud. Never been disappointed. I wish Mankato would build one.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                I went to Duluth for the weekend, ate a few of the more well known places such as grandma's but I must say the 2 best places we went were OMC Smokehouse on the first night for supper it is in the Lincoln Park area of town, and Uncle Louie's for breakfast the last day of the trip.
                OMC has amazing ribs, and the brisket was great but ask for the Beef Fat fries, so good.
                My wife and I went to Duluth last Labor Day and ate at the OMC Smokehouse. I must concur that the food is top notch.

Comment

Nice eating- Charlies.

What is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

What is it?
                    Chili and cheese wrapped in a tortilla. Sometimes with Fritos added for some crunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

Chili and cheese wrapped in a tortilla. Sometimes with Fritos added for some crunch.
                      Pretty much. They have some kind of special sauce. The woman who had worked there in HS back in the 70s served me two years ago. She said that sauce is NOT Hormel chili without beans. People try to guess what it is. I've never had one as good anywhere else as the Zanz in Mankato. I've tried to make them at home but can't even come close.

Comment

Nice eating- Charlies.

Comment

Wow. I hadn't heard about that. I would meet my boss, Dr. Bill Lass, there twice a year to eat and catch up. Haven't been there for awhile.

Comment

So for MSUM, the Fargo Moorhead area has pretty much all of the chains you want, but there are a lot of other options.These days, I live in Bemidji, so I can also make a few recommendations for Beaver gameday.
                            • Bar 209: Really great classic American cuisine here.
                            • Brigid's Pub: An Irish pub in downtown, really great Irish food.
                            • Keg N' Cork: Very traditional bar food, burger baskets. It's old school but good.
                            • C.K. Dudley's: BBQ place with fantastic food. Great brisket.
                            • Bemidji Brewing: Their taproom is open and along with the beer, they serve a few food options including pretzels.

Comment

Originally posted by IceBoxDragon View Post
                              So for MSUM, the Fargo Moorhead area has pretty much all of the chains you want, but there are a lot of other options.[/LIST]These days, I live in Bemidji, so I can also make a few recommendations for Beaver gameday.
                              The Moorhead DQ was the home of the Dilly Bar. Also has the right to create their own menu items. I was going to stop there but the line was too long.

Is Dave's Pizza still open? I had a summer class in Bemidji and went there years ago. Gal came out and put grated cheese on my pizza at the table. I think that the manager was the Olympic curling skip.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X