Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    I agree though. Tonderum is the only one of those guys I saw play. He was something else. Him, Charlie Football, Anthony Dean, etc got me into the Stangs back in '13.
    Coincidentally, all of the rest of those guys were on the 2008 team that finished above .500 for the first time since 1999 and only the second time since the days of Loots, Ashley, and Co. I know it isn't a high-water mark, but it was seen as the start of a new era with the opening of the Regional Event Center and it was right in the middle of my college years, so I think those are reasons why those guys are so memorable for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Coincidentally, all of the rest of those guys were on the 2008 team that finished above .500 for the first time since 1999 and only the second time since the days of Loots, Ashley, and Co. I know it isn't a high-water mark, but it was seen as the start of a new era with the opening of the Regional Event Center and it was right in the middle of my college years, so I think those are reasons why those guys are so memorable for me.
      I would have been in 9th grade that year. I remember visiting the REC as it was being built. I miss the bunting that they hung from the second level. I know that's a weird thing to miss, but it was a nice pop of color on the earthy tones of the stadium.

Someone sent me an article on Noethlich his senior season. He's probably the closest we've gotten to landing someone on a 40-man roster, besides Wayne Hawkins and the guy the school doesn't acknowledge.

It was the Moorhead game with the bonkers stat lines that got me to pay attention to the team. I went to the MSU game that year since they were ranked #1 that week. I had a blast even though Jon Wolf and the boys ran us over. Had to go to the Concordia game. It was one of my last times in the Metrodome. Mike Max's film crew was there, I remember watching the episode on TV. Finished the season off with the Winona game that ended with the Twedt INT in overtime. Didn't realize the stadium could get that loud. Now every time I see John Brown on TV I wonder what could have been...

Ha, wow - didn't mean to take a long trip down memory lane. Anyway, to your point - that was a special group of guys and a very exciting time. 2008-2016 had some fun years.

Comment

• I agree, rural and local kids are an important part of recriuting. Not only for their ability on field , but for fan base. The local and rural kids help get fans in seats and having the support of surrounding communities is big deal . .winning also helps with recruiting and local support. I like the fact that they are still rercruiting rural Iowa, Dakotas, Michigan and Wisconsin as well as Arizona Cali Texas. and Nevada. They have kids from Marshall on roster and offered another kid from Marshall for 2021. From what i have seen so far in last 2 years its a nice mix of rural semi local kids and kids from big time programs . I think its gonna start to pay off. I really think 2020 class is most talented class they have brought in in last ten years. The QB from Arizona might b most talented qb. out of high school they ever got(just watch film and you will see what i mean.)Also receivers Hornsby (cali)and Hampton( nevada) might b most promising receiver duo they have had in a while. Throw in a couple stud olineman , really good def tackle, stud linebacker and a really good cover corner as well as more speed than any other recent class. If these young guys can get on field as freshman and get some experience, i think they will have winningest 4 years in Sauters history, maybe 7 or 8 wins a year for next four years. Hopefully in mix for playoffs in next couple years.When camp starts (hopefully) in early august you will see what i mean, i am traveling there in aug if safe enough to watch practice for a few days. Lets hope these kids live up to hype, i think its gonna b really interesting next few years in nsic!

Comment

• Originally posted by SMSU fan View Post
          *snip*
          I agree.

Obviously this applies to every program, but staying healthy is the key. That's been our biggest struggle. Last year probably would have been different had we not had injuries. It's football, it's unavoidable, but still...

Comment

• I think one of the biggest variables in recruiting is having coaches that are trusted in different regions. High School programs see their athletes like their own kids and want the best for them, a kids coach has a major influence on their decision. A great example is Wiese at Duluth, hes been able to pull some play makers out of Wis on a consistent basis. Once a relationship is fostered over the years sky is the limit. Really looking forward to Sept 19th when Mary visits Marshall. Should be a great game,

Comment

• This 2020 class for SMSU might b special! Theres a video on twitter with SMSU incoming receiver Mo Hampton from Nevada workin out with incoming QB Nick Arvay in Arizona! Thats the initiative you need to b successful. Driving to Az to work out with your qb is impressive. I love the effort . And they both looked really good! You should check out video on Maurice Hampton's twitter. might b on nick arvay 7 twitter too. They are gettin hard workin players with talent! Cant wait for this year! (If we even play this year)

Comment

This 2020 class for SMSU might b special! Theres a video on twitter with SMSU incoming receiver Mo Hampton from Nevada workin out with incoming QB Nick Arvay in Arizona! Thats the initiative you need to b successful. Driving to Az to work out with your qb is impressive. I love the effort . And they both looked really good! You should check out video on Maurice Hampton's twitter. might b on nick arvay 7 twitter too. They are gettin hard workin players with talent! Cant wait for this year! (If we even play this year)

Comment

• Kid has some zip to his throw, its looking like the SEC is full throttle for this upcoming fall. It will be interesting to see how the NSIC plays out heres to hoping we can turn on the game on a crisp fall day with a bourbon ready to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                    Love it.

A lot of kids would scoff at a D2 offer, and these guys seem to be hungry for it. I'm impressed by the work ethic.

I've been a Mustang fan for long enough now to know never to get my hopes up too early before the season starts - but this is a positive if I've ever seen one.

Comment

• You can get your hopes up! Arvay said somethin on twitter about winning a champioinship! These kids want to win. A lot of them are saying on social media that they are workin hard and training cause they want to win. I know that doesnt equal wins on field but i love the attitude and confidence, players holding each other accountable and to a higher standard. Thats the making of a winning team. Im hopeful but i know how hard wins are to come by. Hope for best and prepare for worst! I kno one thing , that qb arvay looks like stud, can really sling it.

Comment

You can get your hopes up! Arvay said somethin on twitter about winning a champioinship! These kids want to win. A lot of them are saying on social media that they are workin hard and training cause they want to win. I know that doesnt equal wins on field but i love the attitude and confidence, players holding each other accountable and to a higher standard. Thats the making of a winning team. Im hopeful but i know how hard wins are to come by. Hope for best and prepare for worst! I kno one thing , that qb arvay looks like stud, can really sling it.
                        If they can hang with the program and stay healthy, I'm excited.

My guess is Nava will win the starting role this year, so Arvay may have to sit.

Comment

• I'm kicking around the idea of boosting our paid attendance numbers. Generally speaking, we do great as it stands - however I think we could be doing a little bit better. There is definitely some untapped market share out there we could pick up. If we averaged 100 fans per game more, over 5 home games a season, we'd gross an extra $6,000 in revenue in ticket sales alone. That's not a lot, but I don't think the AD would scoff at a $6,000 donation.

I haven't decided if I'm going to work on it or not yet as I'm quite busy with work and home stuff - but I just wanted to see if you guys thought this was feasible, and if it is - how might we go about doing it? I have some ideas, but I wanted to see what everyone else thought too.

Comment

• If they start winning more fans will come. They should let all high school players within 2 hours of Marshall in games for free., and all youth teams in area should b invited to all home games. On recruiting note Brandt Goodwin wr from Arizona with pwo to Arizona state and offer from sioux falls is coming to SMSU with QB Nick Arvay!! Brandt is an explosive playmaker at wr, he also has punt returns and kickoff returns for tds! One of best from one of best programs in country. Arvay and Goodwin have ability to play right away. Im excited for season.

Comment

If they start winning more fans will come. They should let all high school players within 2 hours of Marshall in games for free., and all youth teams in area should b invited to all home games. On recruiting note Brandt Goodwin wr from Arizona with pwo to Arizona state and offer from sioux falls is coming to SMSU with QB Nick Arvay!! Brandt is an explosive playmaker at wr, he also has punt returns and kickoff returns for tds! One of best from one of best programs in country. Arvay and Goodwin have ability to play right away. Im excited for season.
                              I'm interested in boosting paid attendance to help take some of the burden off of the school, but that could work too. Youth players free with paid adult or something.

I'll have to look into Goodwin. Sounds interesting...

Comment

• I figured youth and high school players free to get them in seats when young, and you get the adults and girl friends to come with and pay. Brandt Goodwin, Saguaro High School ( were in top 20 in country at one point during year) transfered from Casteel High school. Before senior year was on top 150 prospects list for Arizona. Junior year highlights are crazy good, senior year had to sit(transfer) but still awesone. Team lost in Arizona state title game(open division) to no10 team in country. Went against Kelee Ringo (no1 cornerback in country) everyday in practice and coach said" no one on our team can cover him!' Check out his twitter and google him! First guy never gets him down!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X