Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many, many years ago, the HC had a meetin' with active player parents about ways to improve revenue. Parents 'n their relatives get FREE passes. I mentioned chargin' the parents and relatives a discounted admission - $5? He said that "isn't the way it's done." You do the math. Every little bit helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post
      Many, many years ago, the HC had a meetin' with active player parents about ways to improve revenue. Parents 'n their relatives get FREE passes. I mentioned chargin' the parents and relatives a discounted admission - $5? He said that "isn't the way it's done." You do the math. Every little bit helps.
      Yeah that's the type of stuff. Every penny helps especially at this level.

Comment

• I guess winning is best way. But u got right idea, more money for athletics usually equals more success. If u want to keep up you have to have somethin to offer the better players like scholarships and winning programs. 6000 extra a year in ticket sales could help get better athletes. You can pay for a lot of visits for athletes with 6000 grand, or a couple scholarships, or trips for coach sauter to visit talent!!! Every dollar counts

Comment

• Originally posted by SMSU fan View Post
          I guess winning is best way. But u got right idea, more money for athletics usually equals more success. If u want to keep up you have to have somethin to offer the better players like scholarships and winning programs. 6000 extra a year in ticket sales could help get better athletes. You can pay for a lot of visits for athletes with 6000 grand, or a couple scholarships, or trips for coach sauter to visit talent!!! Every dollar counts
          My counter to this argument would be that this $6000 in free tickets is being used as a perk to help take care of your current student athletes and their families for the hard work they are putting in. Many of these athletes are receiving limited scholarships and some are not receiving any at all. It's a small thing, but if you are able to tell kids and their families in recruiting that one of the small things we do for you while you are at our University is allow you free admission to see your son/daughter play that is better than making them pay. Every dollar counts, but some of them are a little more intangible than others.

Comment

I guess winning is best way. But u got right idea, more money for athletics usually equals more success. If u want to keep up you have to have somethin to offer the better players like scholarships and winning programs. 6000 extra a year in ticket sales could help get better athletes. You can pay for a lot of visits for athletes with 6000 grand, or a couple scholarships, or trips for coach sauter to visit talent!!! Every dollar counts
            Winning would certainly help, hopefully we get there with this new crop of guys. It's a tough conference to play in though.

I've been trying to come up with ways to get the team visible to other communities in SWMN. I know we get a lot of support from places like Cottonwood and Minneota, but I also think there's a sizable audience that we aren't picking up on. Even if it's only 50-100 people, that's still a nice chunk of change. Other members have stated it previously, but SMSU competes with Marshall High School alumni on gameday. Trey Lance is probably going to be a sought after name in the NFL draft, so it's understandable that the locals want to focus their attention on him.

One thing I've seen USD do is hold practices in Sioux Falls as an outreach event. I've had the idea to do the same thing with SMSU, just on a smaller scale. Hold a practice or two a year in an area town, invite the locals out, and maybe even give them a ticket coupon or something. There'd be a lot of logistics involved, who pays for what - when do we hold it, etc etc, but I think it could reel in a few fans. It could also double as a fundraising opportunity for the local high school or something like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post

My counter to this argument would be that this $6000 in free tickets is being used as a perk to help take care of your current student athletes and their families for the hard work they are putting in. Many of these athletes are receiving limited scholarships and some are not receiving any at all. It's a small thing, but if you are able to tell kids and their families in recruiting that one of the small things we do for you while you are at our University is allow you free admission to see your son/daughter play that is better than making them pay. Every dollar counts, but some of them are a little more intangible than others.
              I hadn't considered that side of it. Most of our roster is not local, so it would actually be a nice little incentive for the families. It's a drop in the bucket compared to plane tickets and hotels, but it would be a nice gesture.

That being said, the $6000 number I've been tossing around wasn't related to gouging parents, it was in reference to the common fan which is where my focus is. The conversation just turned to parents along the way.

Comment

• Tell me one parent parent who wouldn't pay $5 to see their kid play? Mrs. Liver and I travelled a kazillion miles over 5 years to watch our son. Ya, it got expensive some times, but it's your kid. Scholarship $$ is often wasted. HC needs to be aware when he's p***in' into the wind and make changes. Parents and their player need to use their heads, especially when $$ is scarce. Academics are an avenue some don't research. We don't have a ton of $$, but our player walked out with a degree and no financial burden. It can be done.

Comment

• The free tickets for youth football in area and high school players is to build fan base, start making it a "yearly routine" to attend SMSU football games on saturdays. You MAKE an extra 6000 a year by the parents and adults bringing them. Then you create families of fans and kids that attend games and keep attending for life. I think some of the recriuts they got comin in this year will help, they got some talent that people will want to pay to see!!!

Comment

The free tickets for youth football in area and high school players is to build fan base, start making it a "yearly routine" to attend SMSU football games on saturdays. You MAKE an extra 6000 a year by the parents and adults bringing them. Then you create families of fans and kids that attend games and keep attending for life. I think some of the recriuts they got comin in this year will help, they got some talent that people will want to pay to see!!!
                    I was thinking this would work with a "free with paid adult" model. Kid gets in free with the parents buying tickets. Recoup a little money on concessions and merch sales (when they sell merch).

There's probably some solution in there somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I was thinking this would work with a "free with paid adult" model. Kid gets in free with the parents buying tickets. Recoup a little money on concessions and merch sales (when they sell merch).

There's probably some solution in there somewhere.
                      Add adult malted beverages to the concession stand. :-).

Comment

That would really drive up revenues, hahaha

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

That would really drive up revenues, hahaha
                          Better'n havin' to walk back to the tailgate area every half time.

Comment

Comment

• Here's the latest addition to my SMSU football card collection - to my knowledge, there are only three players to get a football card of any kind. The other two are Jeff Loots and Wayne Hawkins.

Baseball has two, as far as I'm aware (Ryan Morse, Andrew Kinney). Then there's Sauter and Hmielewski of course - they have around 10 cards each.

One of the more curious athletes in SMSU history, Jake Matthys also appears to have a card - however he graduated from Angelo State University.

Not sure if this is interesting to anyone else or not, but with no football news going on, I thought I'd share.

Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X