Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    I saw he went JUCO, but wasn't sure where. I assumed CCCAA. Thanks for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
    hudl.com/v/2CUM4tJoined March 2016
    Not surprised, but that sucks

Leave a comment:

• Matt Witwicki
    replied
    hudl.com/v/2CUM4tJoined March 2016

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

Thanks for the honest feedback SW_Mustang. At the end of the day its what you make of it. Like you said there much worse college towns out there.
    Absolutely. It's all a matter of perspective.

IMO, Marshall is a great town, but what makes it great doesn't translate into appeal for 18-22 y/o folks. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, nor is there anything wrong with students wanting what they want. It was fine for me, and I got what I needed out of it - but I will definitely not be going rural for grad school if I can help it.

Leave a comment:

• UMary1
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Marshall is a great town for raising a young family or for starting a career, but it's just not a great town for your average college student. I never got involved much with the nightlife, but I'm told the bar scene is really lacking. It's pretty much just made up of 3-4 places downtown. Outdoor recreation is severely lacking, there are very few amenities on/near campus, and we don't draw any music or entertainment - unless you consider $5 Thursdays at the movie theater, I guess.

I could go on - point is, the town isn't a "college town" so much as it is a town with a college in it. Are there worse? Absolutely - I've been to many. That doesn't exactly mean that we're great, or even above average. I stuck it out because it was cheap, not because it was a great "college experience" - if I'm being honest.
    Thanks for the honest feedback SW_Mustang. At the end of the day its what you make of it. Like you said there much worse college towns out there.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by UMary1 View Post
    I haven't been to Marshall, I am not knocking it but its wikipedia page says it has a population of 14,000 and its picture has a main strip. I am assuming the night life and bar scene isnt that appealing to a student athlete. Also if a group of athletes want a night on the town theyd likely not fly under the radar. Take a stud athlete who comes in from say TX or AZ, frigid temps, same bar scene. Add a quick 2-3 loses and ya back home or another destination seems appealing. Were living in a different era, kids hit a bump in the road and a lot them say ^&&% this im out.
    Marshall is a great town for raising a young family or for starting a career, but it's just not a great town for your average college student. I never got involved much with the nightlife, but I'm told the bar scene is really lacking. It's pretty much just made up of 3-4 places downtown. Outdoor recreation is severely lacking, there are very few amenities on/near campus, and we don't draw any music or entertainment - unless you consider $5 Thursdays at the movie theater, I guess.

I could go on - point is, the town isn't a "college town" so much as it is a town with a college in it. Are there worse? Absolutely - I've been to many. That doesn't exactly mean that we're great, or even above average. I stuck it out because it was cheap, not because it was a great "college experience" - if I'm being honest.

Leave a comment:

• UMary1
    replied
    I haven't been to Marshall, I am not knocking it but its wikipedia page says it has a population of 14,000 and its picture has a main strip. I am assuming the night life and bar scene isnt that appealing to a student athlete. Also if a group of athletes want a night on the town theyd likely not fly under the radar. Take a stud athlete who comes in from say TX or AZ, frigid temps, same bar scene. Add a quick 2-3 loses and ya back home or another destination seems appealing. Were living in a different era, kids hit a bump in the road and a lot them say ^&&% this im out.

Leave a comment:

• NSICFballFan
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Correct. Great place. If we can get kids here they love it. Getting them here is a challenge. I have my thoughts, but I don't run admissions nor am I an administrator at SMSU.
    Getting talent to Marshall has not been a problem. It just has not been regional talent. The SMSU C/O 2020 had some of the best athletes of any NSIC recruiting class. They had a few recruits with FCS offers that for one reason or another ended up at SMSU. The problem has been keeping players on campus. SMSU has already lost 14 of the freshman from the C/O 2020. This is not a covid issue. It's been that way at SMSU since I've followed NSIC football. That's why SMSU always has very few non-transfer 4th/5th year seniors on the roster. They have a hard time keeping and developing talent.

Leave a comment:

• Clean Liver
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Correct. Great place. If we can get kids here they love it. Getting them here is a challenge. I have my thoughts, but I don't run admissions nor am I an administrator at SMSU.
    I understand. Marshall's not for everyone, but they do have a Pizza Ranch, Chicken Connection, Varsity Pub and THE BEST B & B in which we've ever stayed.

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

Explain please. I'm always interested in why SOME people discount Marshall as a NICE place to play D-II football and get a F***IN' education. Both you and your brother did okay.

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied
    Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Out of curiosity, according to wikipedia Marshall has 1700 more people than Maryville, MO. and SW has more students. NWMSU has multiple National Championships in FB and BB. Granted they are closer to a smaller KC area than larger TC metro. In FB their success was started by a great coach in Mel Tjeerdma who ironically is from a small town in SD. Not bagging on SW, all of the NSIC would love to have NWMSU success.
    Money

NW Mo - fully funded and have been forever. You can get kids to go places for money

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Out of curiosity, according to wikipedia Marshall has 1700 more people than Maryville, MO. and SW has more students. NWMSU has multiple National Championships in FB and BB. Granted they are closer to a smaller KC area than larger TC metro. In FB their success was started by a great coach in Mel Tjeerdma who ironically is from a small town in SD. Not bagging on SW, all of the NSIC would love to have NWMSU success.
    I think it's just a situation of "right place, right time, right people" - they didn't win a national title before Mel got to Northwest. Before that, they had two first round exits in the NCAA tournament and hadn't won a conference title in 12 years.

That being said - there are a few notable differences:

-NWMSU is a lot older than SMSU (though not as old as most other NSIC schools). They won their first conference championship 40 years before we existed as an institution. That doesn't always level out at a 1-1 correlation on paper, but it is worth noting.

-They've had better competition historically, IMO - which is worth noting. They won their first title while the NSIC was still in D2 infancy. Morris, Bemidji, and SW playing each other for 30 years is great, but it's not exactly going to breed national success.

-Missouri is bigger football country - which means I'm guessing they have a better talent pool to pull from locally.

Just some thoughts. Not excusing our lackluster performance historically, but it's just some ideas on how the two schools differ from each other.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Marshall is a great town. The problem comes when you have to convince many high schoolers of that. When recruiting in metro areas, many are wanting the same big city kind of lifestyle they're used to. Marshall isn't that. Mankato, Duluth and Sioux Falls are far closer to what they're used to, while also being closer by and easier to get to.
    In terms of football, we do better recruiting the Twin Cities than we do our namesake. It could be because the D2 talent pool is better in the metro than it is here, which is valid.

In terms of the general student population, kids from our namesake want to move to the city just as bad as kids from the city want to stay there. Though, it doesn't help when students from Minneapolis don't know Marshall exists let alone the school. That's a conversation I've had many times. That's just the way it is.

Like everything else in life, Marshall is subjective. I didn't mind living there - but I definitely felt the sting when I wanted to do things they just didn't offer. Sometimes it's nice to patron a retail establishment not named Wal-Mart, or see a concert, or go to a non-D2 sporting event, etc... The town is quite affordable and has a lot of opportunity, but it lacks in a lot of key areas as well. As someone local to the namesake, I didn't get to experience life any different in Marshall - which is a big part of the "college experience." I was willing to sacrifice it in the best interests of my student loan payments.

This is all just my opinion - I'm not trying to be a Negative Nancy, I did enjoy my time at SMSU. Regardless of what the public opinion is, we are a very good school in many ways - and the community is pretty solid. I think we are underrated academically, to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    [QUOTE=NSICFballFan;n556774]
    Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Mustangs got their QB for 2021 via the transfer portal. Played at Northern Illinois last year under Eric Eidsness. Didn't play great there or before that at FCS Houston Baptist, but should still be a good talent for the NSIC.

Is Nava still with the program? Looks like he's still on the roster.
    As far as I'm aware he has not left the program.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

Explain please. I'm always interested in why SOME people discount Marshall as a NICE place to play D-II football and get a F***IN' education. Both you and your brother did okay.
    Marshall is a great town. The problem comes when you have to convince many high schoolers of that. When recruiting in metro areas, many are wanting the same big city kind of lifestyle they're used to. Marshall isn't that. Mankato, Duluth and Sioux Falls are far closer to what they're used to, while also being closer by and easier to get to.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X