X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanger86
    replied
    Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Out of curiosity, according to wikipedia Marshall has 1700 more people than Maryville, MO. and SW has more students. NWMSU has multiple National Championships in FB and BB. Granted they are closer to a smaller KC area than larger TC metro. In FB their success was started by a great coach in Mel Tjeerdma who ironically is from a small town in SD. Not bagging on SW, all of the NSIC would love to have NWMSU success.
    If only comparing those two programs, there are a couple of key differences. NWMSU was founded in 1905 and was a charter member of the Division II MIAA in 1912. SMSU was founded in 1964 and did not join Division II until 1995. Those factors are disadvantages in terms of funding, which have a big impact on program success. SMSU doesn't really have the donor pool of most programs because it's so young. Most people from its first graduating class are probably still alive in their early 70s.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Recruiting to Mankato, Duluth, Sioux Falls is quite a bit different than recruiting to Marshall.
    Out of curiosity, according to wikipedia Marshall has 1700 more people than Maryville, MO. and SW has more students. NWMSU has multiple National Championships in FB and BB. Granted they are closer to a smaller KC area than larger TC metro. In FB their success was started by a great coach in Mel Tjeerdma who ironically is from a small town in SD. Not bagging on SW, all of the NSIC would love to have NWMSU success.

Leave a comment:

• Clean Liver
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Recruiting to Mankato, Duluth, Sioux Falls is quite a bit different than recruiting to Marshall.
    Explain please. I'm always interested in why SOME people discount Marshall as a NICE place to play D-II football and get a F***IN' education. Both you and your brother did okay.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    Originally posted by NSICFballFan View Post

Not an issue for the upper half of programs that have the luxury of getting regional talent that can compete at the NSIC level. Difficult when half the team is from out of region.

Leave a comment:

• NSICFballFan
    replied
    [QUOTE=Stanger86;n556622]Mustangs got their QB for 2021 via the transfer portal. Played at Northern Illinois last year under Eric Eidsness. Didn't play great there or before that at FCS Houston Baptist, but should still be a good talent for the NSIC.

Is Nava still with the program? Looks like he's still on the roster.

Leave a comment:

• NSICFballFan
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Not much the coaches can do. Hard to get kids to Marshall. Hard to keep them when there is no football. Can't blame the kids either. Terrible situation all around. Hopfully the coaches can keep bringing kids in that can be impact players. This kid looked good. Wish he was staying but I get it.

I imagine this is an issue at every NSIC school.
    Not an issue for the upper half of programs that have the luxury of getting regional talent that can compete at the NSIC level. Difficult when half the team is from out of region.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    Mustangs got their QB for 2021 via the transfer portal. Played at Northern Illinois last year under Eric Eidsness. Didn't play great there or before that at FCS Houston Baptist, but should still be a good talent for the NSIC.

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    Not much the coaches can do. Hard to get kids to Marshall. Hard to keep them when there is no football. Can't blame the kids either. Terrible situation all around. Hopfully the coaches can keep bringing kids in that can be impact players. This kid looked good. Wish he was staying but I get it.

I imagine this is an issue at every NSIC school.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post

Yes!
    Neato! I am going to watch it this evening.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Yes!

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

I watched it again on the 10 PM news.
    This one?
    https://news.yahoo.com/southwest-min...013500275.html

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Did not - usually Mustang Twitter notes when WCCO comes to town. Will have to see if it's online anywhere.
    I watched it again on the 10 PM news.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Did anyone else watch the WCCO 4 sports with Mike Max at 6:20 tonight? He had a feature on Corey Sauter and Southwest.
    Did not - usually Mustang Twitter notes when WCCO comes to town. Will have to see if it's online anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Did anyone else watch the WCCO 4 sports with Mike Max at 6:20 tonight? He had a feature on Corey Sauter and Southwest.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X