Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    What are people's thoughts about recruiting locally? I feel like this staff hasn't done a very good job of this through the years. Is it solely due to a talent/size/speed gap, or is there not enough of an emphasis placed on bringing in kids closer to home? Maybe it's a non-issue for some, but I feel like this program could do a better job in this area of recruiting. Just as an example, we have a program 10 miles down the road that has won 4 state titles in the last 10 years, yet the previous two coaching staffs have only signed a total of one player from that school in 16 years combined. I know some kids just choose to go elsewhere and that not everyone is cut out for D2 football, but I feel like they would consider it if the coaching staff seriously considered them.
    Who from Minneota was a D2 football player that they missed on? They have recruited several Marshall kids and several Dawson kids. Unfortunately a bunch of Marshall kids were too good. They have also had Luverne and Pipestone kids on the team as well.

Comment

We had a taste of it years ago when Bill Noethlich made it to Vikings training camp, but he didn't make it out of camp. Otherwise, it probably hasn't been since the early 1990s.
      I remember that. I wasn't following the Mustangs at the time, but someone told me about it.

To my knowledge, SMSU has never had a player play in a regular season NFL game. Hawkins was probably the closest we've had, he was on the Patriots practice squad for a while.There's also the WR drafted by the Falcons but...

Since I've been following the team, we've had two guys get mini-camp invites, but that's about it.

Comment

What are people's thoughts about recruiting locally? I feel like this staff hasn't done a very good job of this through the years. Is it solely due to a talent/size/speed gap, or is there not enough of an emphasis placed on bringing in kids closer to home? Maybe it's a non-issue for some, but I feel like this program could do a better job in this area of recruiting. Just as an example, we have a program 10 miles down the road that has won 4 state titles in the last 10 years, yet the previous two coaching staffs have only signed a total of one player from that school in 16 years combined. I know some kids just choose to go elsewhere and that not everyone is cut out for D2 football, but I feel like they would consider it if the coaching staff seriously considered them.
        I don't have much insight into recruiting, but I have wondered about that as well.

Is it possible the opposite is true? Do local players not want to play here? From an academic standpoint, SMSU doesn't rank very highly with local high school students - could the same be true for football? In my opinion, the recruiting staff would have to try pretty hard to actively ignore the HSFB scene in SWMN. MHS and the MSHSL use their facilities, after all.

Minnesota State has two guys from my hometown, one of whom is a fairly solid starter who is in his junior season - and we're far from a football powerhouse. I'd argue the opposite, in fact. There's talent to be had around here though.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Who from Minneota was a D2 football player that they missed on? They have recruited several Marshall kids and several Dawson kids. Unfortunately a bunch of Marshall kids were too good. They have also had Luverne and Pipestone kids on the team as well.
          I'll be honest, I'm not overly familiar with the Minneota history going farther back than 5 years, but I do know there was a set of brothers a few years back that one played football at SCSU and I think one went to USF.

I'm not as bothered about missing on the Marshall kids who went D1. But could we have gotten others to stay home and play football? I just worry that we don't even seem to try sometimes. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my personal fear. There's a lot of good football played in this area, but I'm not sure we take full advantage of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
            Is it possible the opposite is true? Do local players not want to play here? From an academic standpoint, SMSU doesn't rank very highly with local high school students - could the same be true for football? In my opinion, the recruiting staff would have to try pretty hard to actively ignore the HSFB scene in SWMN. MHS and the MSHSL use their facilities, after all.
            As a former SWMN HS football player who was recruited heavily by SMSU, this is was exactly my reasoning. Academics, .500 football program, and Marshall wasn't really appealing to me. I think a lot of higher level players in the area get and take offers to better football schools. But I knew a handful of guys who went to SMSU and did well. I don't think local recruiting isn't the issue. I think the extremely low scholarship level is the first big hurdle, then Sauter could maybe get some playmakers in on defense.
            4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
            2016 NSIC Champions
            🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

• Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

As a former SWMN HS football player who was recruited heavily by SMSU, this is was exactly my reasoning. Academics, .500 football program, and Marshall wasn't really appealing to me. I think a lot of higher level players in the area get and take offers to better football schools. But I knew a handful of guys who went to SMSU and did well. I don't think local recruiting isn't the issue. I think the extremely low scholarship level is the first big hurdle, then Sauter could maybe get some playmakers in on defense.
              SMSU does not carry a very positive reputation among area HS students - so I don't see why that wouldn't apply to the football program as well.

It's a shame because I believe SMSU is a very good school, but that's just the reality of the situation.

Comment

• Daniel Davis nominated for the Double H.

I believe he is the third Mustang to be nominated after Gimbel and Tonderum

Comment

SMSU does not carry a very positive reputation among area HS students - so I don't see why that wouldn't apply to the football program as well.

It's a shame because I believe SMSU is a very good school, but that's just the reality of the situation.
                  Lots of local kids go to SMSU and love it. Not sure how you can change those that view it negatively. Many of those kids simply want to get away and I can't blame them. It is a good thing to get away, be independent and grow on your own. Ironically many of them end up coming back to SMSU to finish. I also see lots of Marshall kids who got to SDSU and Mankato home ALMOST EVERY weekend. For a place that sucks, they sure like to be here.

At my son's confirmation class last Sunday, the speaker was Father Matt Wiering, who grew up in Tyler. He's now the priest up in Cottonwood and at SMSU. Dynamic young man and a great servant of God. He talked about how much there was to do in Marshall and how when he was in high school they thought Marshall was amazing. all a matter of perspective,

Comment

Lots of local kids go to SMSU and love it. Not sure how you can change those that view it negatively. Many of those kids simply want to get away and I can't blame them. It is a good thing to get away, be independent and grow on your own. Ironically many of them end up coming back to SMSU to finish. I also see lots of Marshall kids who got to SDSU and Mankato home ALMOST EVERY weekend. For a place that sucks, they sure like to be here.

At my son's confirmation class last Sunday, the speaker was Father Matt Wiering, who grew up in Tyler. He's now the priest up in Cottonwood and at SMSU. Dynamic young man and a great servant of God. He talked about how much there was to do in Marshall and how when he was in high school they thought Marshall was amazing. all a matter of perspective,
                    I think you missed my point - We agree, I think SMSU is a great school. Marshall is... okay, but it's certainly not terrible. My point is, SWMN is bigger than just Marshall - the area SMSU hypothetically is supposed to serve. Many people don't view the school favorably, or the town for that matter.

For an anecdotal, I was just at Minnesota State for a function in the last couple of weeks. I sat at a table with a girl from an area town - she blatantly said SMSU barely qualifies as a school. She didn't know I attended there. I've heard from area HS students that SMSU is the "easy school" (trust me, it's far from it). Many of my HS classmates wouldn't be caught dead there and chose other avenues.

I think most of the area students come here because it's close and cheap. In my case, it was my only option. My plan all along was to transfer, the U even accepted my application - but I chose to stay for the convience factor. I was told in class by a professor heavily involved in recruiting that that's the case - many come for their AA and then move onto more prestigious institutions.

Lastly - to your point about coming home on the weekends, many of the local students at SMSU do just that as well. I did that at times. That's really just the culture these days - it doesn't have much to do with the specific town.

I've done a little work to change this and to offer some more options to attract potential students. I'm not sure what's officially been announced and what hasn't yet - but I can say that SMSU might start to look a little different in the coming years.

Comment

I think you missed my point - We agree, I think SMSU is a great school. Marshall is... okay, but it's certainly not terrible. My point is, SWMN is bigger than just Marshall - the area SMSU hypothetically is supposed to serve. Many people don't view the school favorably, or the town for that matter.

For an anecdotal, I was just at Minnesota State for a function in the last couple of weeks. I sat at a table with a girl from an area town - she blatantly said SMSU barely qualifies as a school. She didn't know I attended there. I've heard from area HS students that SMSU is the "easy school" (trust me, it's far from it). Many of my HS classmates wouldn't be caught dead there and chose other avenues.

I think most of the area students come here because it's close and cheap. In my case, it was my only option. My plan all along was to transfer, the U even accepted my application - but I chose to stay for the convience factor. I was told in class by a professor heavily involved in recruiting that that's the case - many come for their AA and then move onto more prestigious institutions.

Lastly - to your point about coming home on the weekends, many of the local students at SMSU do just that as well. I did that at times. That's really just the culture these days - it doesn't have much to do with the specific town.

I've done a little work to change this and to offer some more options to attract potential students. I'm not sure what's officially been announced and what hasn't yet - but I can say that SMSU might start to look a little different in the coming years.
                      Interesting thoughts. If you want my opinion. most colleges are easy today. Yes, Old man yells at cloud!

The suitcase college is a real thing. always has been, always will be. there are a variety of reasons for sure. Too bad. college was a lot of fun!

Comment

Interesting thoughts. If you want my opinion. most colleges are easy today. Yes, Old man yells at cloud!

The suitcase college is a real thing. always has been, always will be. there are a variety of reasons for sure. Too bad. college was a lot of fun!
                        I guess that's all in your perspective. I've had plenty of 8-12 hour days at school that say otherwise.

As far as SMSU being a suitcase college - I think most colleges are to some extent. Personally, there wasn't enough to keep me in Marshall except for football, and getting out of that town was welcomed every now and again, even if it was just coming home.

Comment

• I'll just share this here instead of making a new thread - I think most SMSU folks frequent this thread anyway.

We were successful in launching eSports as a varsity program. My goal in bringing this to the table was to hopefully increase enrollment further down the line.

I know the people involved worked very, very hard on the project. I knew this was likely for about the past year but didn't want to say anything until it was official.

Comment

• ESports is a great addition !

Comment

ESports is a great addition !
                              So, by addin' this sport are ya gonna have to drop another that actually takes physical ability beyond fingers and thumbs?

Comment

• Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

So, by addin' this sport are ya gonna have to drop another that actually takes physical ability beyond fingers and thumbs?
                                No. It is coed and it will drive enrollment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X