Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

It means quite a bit in terms of the donations from boosters and other gifts, which tie into the number of scholarships that can be offered. More dead alums equal more potential money.
    First off, a little morbid for my liking. Secondly, it seems Southwest has found themselves their own Common Sense (RIP)

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

First off, a little morbid for my liking. Secondly, it seems Southwest has found themselves their own Common Sense (RIP)
      Nah, it was mostly just venting. I think I'm better now.

Comment

Nah, it was mostly just venting. I think I'm better now.
        I didn't mean you...

Comment

• Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

That's a joke, correct?
          Go away. We get it, you're playing the "old man yells at cloud" trope. It's getting old.

eSports at SMSU was my project. It was my gift to the university. I met with President Jayasuria personally and we agreed this was the direction we wanted to move in. Hmiwelwski worked very, very effing hard on this. I know he did - I sat in his meeting. The only student there, because it was my effing idea.

I'd explain how it will boost enrollment but you clearly don't care, so I won't bother. You're just here to troll, clearly. Your research means nothing to this university or this project.

Comment

I'm curious, does it still fall under Title IX restrictions even though it's not sanctioned by the NCAA?
            I would assume so.

Believe it or not - it's recognized by the United States Federal Government as a sport for immigration purposes, so I would imagine it would be held to the same standards. If not, a case could probably be made for it.

Thankfully, eSports is so cheap to run at the collegiate level that it shouldn't be an issue. I know that it's been brought up internally too, so I doubt there's much oversight.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Go away. We get it, you're playing the "old man yells at cloud" trope. It's getting old.

eSports at SMSU was my project. It was my gift to the university. I met with President Jayasuria personally and we agreed this was the direction we wanted to move in. Hmiwelwski worked very, very effing hard on this. I know he did - I sat in his meeting. The only student there, because it was my effing idea.

I'd explain how it will boost enrollment but you clearly don't care, so I won't bother. You're just here to troll, clearly. Your research means nothing to this university or this project.
              Gettin' old but hardly a troll. Just a realist with an opinion about what should or shouldn't be considered a sport and if its inclusion will or will not boost student interest and population. I'm very happy you gifted SW with this new activity and look forward to see how it works. Although I didn't come up with such a gift, I did, over 7 years, financially and substantially support SW in various ways.

Merry Christmas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

Gettin' old but hardly a troll. Just a realist with an opinion about what should or shouldn't be considered a sport and if its inclusion will or will not boost student interest and population. I'm very happy you gifted SW with this new activity and look forward to see how it works. Although I didn't come up with such a gift, I did, over 7 years, financially and substantially support SW in various ways.

Merry Christmas.
                When I found out this was going through, I knew there would be negative feedback somewhere along the line. That's okay - what I don't appreciate is non-constructive criticism. If you'd like you have an open-minded conversation about what the plans are, then I'm all for it. Calling the project 'a joke' is not that. I can answer all of your questions to the best of my knowledge - but you have to meet me in the middle.

The term 'eSports' is what was bestowed upon the activity in question 20-25 years ago. It's out of my control what the global community has chosen to refer to itself as. I personally don't care for the term myself - it often leads to pointless debates about the semantics. It would be like trying to rename the football team "handegg" because it more accurately represents the activity in question - we just aren't going to do that.

We have adopted the program for the sole purpose of increasing enrollment. I was very adamant with the people I spoke too about this - we are not going to see returns in the first few years. Our first step is to recruit internally to build a program, then recruit externally once we get going. As of now - any student interested in participating in eSports in MN at a varsity level has two options - CSP or SMSU. My next project is to integrate it with academics, ala SD Mines/UC-Irvine/Ohio State, etc. It will work - it will take time.

As far as it being handled by the athletic department - the administration wants to issue scholarships. As it is a competition with other campuses, it only makes sense that it's handled by the athletic department moving forward. Maybe someday it can branch off into it's own governance, but for now this is how the system works and we are choosing to play by those rules.

The fact of the matter is this - SMSU will be a sinking ship in the next 5-10 years if nothing is done to boost visibility and ultimately increase enrollment. Students just don't want to come to SMSU - as hard of a pill is that is to swallow. From start to finish, I did my two SMSU degrees in 7 years - during that time, I didn't feel as if anything was being done to fix the problem. This is (one of) my 'put-up-or-shut-up' contribution to a problem I'd been complaining about. As I say a lot at my job- it will either work or it won't, but at least I can say I tried.

Comment

• Anyone seeing or hearing on recruiting? not much noise

Comment

• Mustangs got a St. Cloud St. lineman with 2 years left from Cloquet. Good commit

Comment

• Mustang Hockey is here.

https://www.smsu.edu/today/articles/...1-08-2020.html

Obviously, the NCAA is too far out of reach for us, so we went to the ACHA instead. Still though, this is pretty exciting.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                        Mustangs got a St. Cloud St. lineman with 2 years left from Cloquet. Good commit
                        FOX21 (Duluth?) did a story on him. I like the guy.

Comment

• I feel encouraged about the future of athletics that in the short 6 months that the new president has been here, we've added e-sports to the athletic department and now adding club hockey.

Comment

I feel encouraged about the future of athletics that in the short 6 months that the new president has been here, we've added e-sports to the athletic department and now adding club hockey.
                            Would you believe me if I told you this project had only been on the table since mid-May or so?

Here was my reasoning - SWMN has 5 HS hockey programs. Very, very few of these kids get an opportunity to play on, even at the lowest levels in juniors. While this is only club, it's still an opportunity for these guys to play for just a little while longer.

My hope is that this program can find a niche in Marshall and draw a small crowd every game. ACHA is a big deal in places where the NCAA is absent - while I don't think we'll get Alabama levels of support given our geography, I hope it can grow into it's own thing.

Comment

• SMSU Today Article on Carlton Lance - I thought it was pretty interesting so I'll share

https://www.smsu.edu/today/articles/...tr2m1SwdT60b00

Comment

• Mustangs got a QB from Arizona for the 2020 Class. Interest from USF as well. Chandler, AZ

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X