X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrMustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

That explains nothin'. I've done a lot of online research today, there are approximately 125 collegiate institutions that have e-sports, but none mentioned their inclusion spiked enrollment. Proceed with your argument.
    well that is one reason for SMSU to add it. Also enhance the college expierence for kids with another option

Leave a comment:

• Clean Liver
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Shortly after Good Morning America aired a segment about

https://edtechmagazine.com/higher/ar...invest-esports
    How did I know you'd be the first to chime in? ;-) Which one? Article didn'y say specifically. There are not, I don't believe, 500 on an e- roster, so what are the odds all those applicants will stay if they don't make the e- team? Odds all applied cuz of the e-sport inclusion/curriculum? Maybe some saw the show and it simply piqued their interest in the school, sport or another activity.

Keep diggin'. Ya got 100+ more schools to go.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

That explains nothin'. I've done a lot of online research today, there are approximately 125 collegiate institutions that have e-sports, but none mentioned their inclusion spiked enrollment. Proceed with your argument.

https://edtechmagazine.com/higher/ar...invest-esports

Leave a comment:

• Clean Liver
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

It is coed so there will be women athletes too. Not just men

Anything that drives enrollment is a good thing. We need more kids

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied

How so? Please explain. Thank you.
    It is coed so there will be women athletes too. Not just men

Anything that drives enrollment is a good thing. We need more kids

Leave a comment:

• Clean Liver
    replied

No. It is coed and it will drive enrollment
    How so? Please explain. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

I'm curious, does it still fall under Title IX restrictions even though it's not sanctioned by the NCAA?

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied

So, by addin' this sport are ya gonna have to drop another that actually takes physical ability beyond fingers and thumbs?

Leave a comment:

• Clean Liver
    replied
    ESports is a great addition !
    So, by addin' this sport are ya gonna have to drop another that actually takes physical ability beyond fingers and thumbs?

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied
    ESports is a great addition !

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    I'll just share this here instead of making a new thread - I think most SMSU folks frequent this thread anyway.

We were successful in launching eSports as a varsity program. My goal in bringing this to the table was to hopefully increase enrollment further down the line.

I know the people involved worked very, very hard on the project. I knew this was likely for about the past year but didn't want to say anything until it was official.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

Interesting thoughts. If you want my opinion. most colleges are easy today. Yes, Old man yells at cloud!

The suitcase college is a real thing. always has been, always will be. there are a variety of reasons for sure. Too bad. college was a lot of fun!
    I guess that's all in your perspective. I've had plenty of 8-12 hour days at school that say otherwise.

As far as SMSU being a suitcase college - I think most colleges are to some extent. Personally, there wasn't enough to keep me in Marshall except for football, and getting out of that town was welcomed every now and again, even if it was just coming home.

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I think you missed my point - We agree, I think SMSU is a great school. Marshall is... okay, but it's certainly not terrible. My point is, SWMN is bigger than just Marshall - the area SMSU hypothetically is supposed to serve. Many people don't view the school favorably, or the town for that matter.

For an anecdotal, I was just at Minnesota State for a function in the last couple of weeks. I sat at a table with a girl from an area town - she blatantly said SMSU barely qualifies as a school. She didn't know I attended there. I've heard from area HS students that SMSU is the "easy school" (trust me, it's far from it). Many of my HS classmates wouldn't be caught dead there and chose other avenues.

I think most of the area students come here because it's close and cheap. In my case, it was my only option. My plan all along was to transfer, the U even accepted my application - but I chose to stay for the convience factor. I was told in class by a professor heavily involved in recruiting that that's the case - many come for their AA and then move onto more prestigious institutions.

Lastly - to your point about coming home on the weekends, many of the local students at SMSU do just that as well. I did that at times. That's really just the culture these days - it doesn't have much to do with the specific town.

I've done a little work to change this and to offer some more options to attract potential students. I'm not sure what's officially been announced and what hasn't yet - but I can say that SMSU might start to look a little different in the coming years.
    Interesting thoughts. If you want my opinion. most colleges are easy today. Yes, Old man yells at cloud!

The suitcase college is a real thing. always has been, always will be. there are a variety of reasons for sure. Too bad. college was a lot of fun!

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

Lots of local kids go to SMSU and love it. Not sure how you can change those that view it negatively. Many of those kids simply want to get away and I can't blame them. It is a good thing to get away, be independent and grow on your own. Ironically many of them end up coming back to SMSU to finish. I also see lots of Marshall kids who got to SDSU and Mankato home ALMOST EVERY weekend. For a place that sucks, they sure like to be here.

At my son's confirmation class last Sunday, the speaker was Father Matt Wiering, who grew up in Tyler. He's now the priest up in Cottonwood and at SMSU. Dynamic young man and a great servant of God. He talked about how much there was to do in Marshall and how when he was in high school they thought Marshall was amazing. all a matter of perspective,
    I think you missed my point - We agree, I think SMSU is a great school. Marshall is... okay, but it's certainly not terrible. My point is, SWMN is bigger than just Marshall - the area SMSU hypothetically is supposed to serve. Many people don't view the school favorably, or the town for that matter.

For an anecdotal, I was just at Minnesota State for a function in the last couple of weeks. I sat at a table with a girl from an area town - she blatantly said SMSU barely qualifies as a school. She didn't know I attended there. I've heard from area HS students that SMSU is the "easy school" (trust me, it's far from it). Many of my HS classmates wouldn't be caught dead there and chose other avenues.

I think most of the area students come here because it's close and cheap. In my case, it was my only option. My plan all along was to transfer, the U even accepted my application - but I chose to stay for the convience factor. I was told in class by a professor heavily involved in recruiting that that's the case - many come for their AA and then move onto more prestigious institutions.

Lastly - to your point about coming home on the weekends, many of the local students at SMSU do just that as well. I did that at times. That's really just the culture these days - it doesn't have much to do with the specific town.

I've done a little work to change this and to offer some more options to attract potential students. I'm not sure what's officially been announced and what hasn't yet - but I can say that SMSU might start to look a little different in the coming years.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X