X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrMustang
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

SMSU does not carry a very positive reputation among area HS students - so I don't see why that wouldn't apply to the football program as well.

It's a shame because I believe SMSU is a very good school, but that's just the reality of the situation.
    Lots of local kids go to SMSU and love it. Not sure how you can change those that view it negatively. Many of those kids simply want to get away and I can't blame them. It is a good thing to get away, be independent and grow on your own. Ironically many of them end up coming back to SMSU to finish. I also see lots of Marshall kids who got to SDSU and Mankato home ALMOST EVERY weekend. For a place that sucks, they sure like to be here.

At my son's confirmation class last Sunday, the speaker was Father Matt Wiering, who grew up in Tyler. He's now the priest up in Cottonwood and at SMSU. Dynamic young man and a great servant of God. He talked about how much there was to do in Marshall and how when he was in high school they thought Marshall was amazing. all a matter of perspective,

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Daniel Davis nominated for the Double H.

I believe he is the third Mustang to be nominated after Gimbel and Tonderum

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

As a former SWMN HS football player who was recruited heavily by SMSU, this is was exactly my reasoning. Academics, .500 football program, and Marshall wasn't really appealing to me. I think a lot of higher level players in the area get and take offers to better football schools. But I knew a handful of guys who went to SMSU and did well. I don't think local recruiting isn't the issue. I think the extremely low scholarship level is the first big hurdle, then Sauter could maybe get some playmakers in on defense.
    SMSU does not carry a very positive reputation among area HS students - so I don't see why that wouldn't apply to the football program as well.

It's a shame because I believe SMSU is a very good school, but that's just the reality of the situation.

Leave a comment:

• Otis Day
    replied
    Is it possible the opposite is true? Do local players not want to play here? From an academic standpoint, SMSU doesn't rank very highly with local high school students - could the same be true for football? In my opinion, the recruiting staff would have to try pretty hard to actively ignore the HSFB scene in SWMN. MHS and the MSHSL use their facilities, after all.
    As a former SWMN HS football player who was recruited heavily by SMSU, this is was exactly my reasoning. Academics, .500 football program, and Marshall wasn't really appealing to me. I think a lot of higher level players in the area get and take offers to better football schools. But I knew a handful of guys who went to SMSU and did well. I don't think local recruiting isn't the issue. I think the extremely low scholarship level is the first big hurdle, then Sauter could maybe get some playmakers in on defense.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Who from Minneota was a D2 football player that they missed on? They have recruited several Marshall kids and several Dawson kids. Unfortunately a bunch of Marshall kids were too good. They have also had Luverne and Pipestone kids on the team as well.
    I'll be honest, I'm not overly familiar with the Minneota history going farther back than 5 years, but I do know there was a set of brothers a few years back that one played football at SCSU and I think one went to USF.

I'm not as bothered about missing on the Marshall kids who went D1. But could we have gotten others to stay home and play football? I just worry that we don't even seem to try sometimes. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my personal fear. There's a lot of good football played in this area, but I'm not sure we take full advantage of it.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    What are people's thoughts about recruiting locally? I feel like this staff hasn't done a very good job of this through the years. Is it solely due to a talent/size/speed gap, or is there not enough of an emphasis placed on bringing in kids closer to home? Maybe it's a non-issue for some, but I feel like this program could do a better job in this area of recruiting. Just as an example, we have a program 10 miles down the road that has won 4 state titles in the last 10 years, yet the previous two coaching staffs have only signed a total of one player from that school in 16 years combined. I know some kids just choose to go elsewhere and that not everyone is cut out for D2 football, but I feel like they would consider it if the coaching staff seriously considered them.
    I don't have much insight into recruiting, but I have wondered about that as well.

Is it possible the opposite is true? Do local players not want to play here? From an academic standpoint, SMSU doesn't rank very highly with local high school students - could the same be true for football? In my opinion, the recruiting staff would have to try pretty hard to actively ignore the HSFB scene in SWMN. MHS and the MSHSL use their facilities, after all.

Minnesota State has two guys from my hometown, one of whom is a fairly solid starter who is in his junior season - and we're far from a football powerhouse. I'd argue the opposite, in fact. There's talent to be had around here though.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

We had a taste of it years ago when Bill Noethlich made it to Vikings training camp, but he didn't make it out of camp. Otherwise, it probably hasn't been since the early 1990s.
    I remember that. I wasn't following the Mustangs at the time, but someone told me about it.

To my knowledge, SMSU has never had a player play in a regular season NFL game. Hawkins was probably the closest we've had, he was on the Patriots practice squad for a while.There's also the WR drafted by the Falcons but...

Since I've been following the team, we've had two guys get mini-camp invites, but that's about it.

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied
    What are people's thoughts about recruiting locally? I feel like this staff hasn't done a very good job of this through the years. Is it solely due to a talent/size/speed gap, or is there not enough of an emphasis placed on bringing in kids closer to home? Maybe it's a non-issue for some, but I feel like this program could do a better job in this area of recruiting. Just as an example, we have a program 10 miles down the road that has won 4 state titles in the last 10 years, yet the previous two coaching staffs have only signed a total of one player from that school in 16 years combined. I know some kids just choose to go elsewhere and that not everyone is cut out for D2 football, but I feel like they would consider it if the coaching staff seriously considered them.
    Who from Minneota was a D2 football player that they missed on? They have recruited several Marshall kids and several Dawson kids. Unfortunately a bunch of Marshall kids were too good. They have also had Luverne and Pipestone kids on the team as well.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    I hope he does. It would be nice to finally get a player to the big time.
    We had a taste of it years ago when Bill Noethlich made it to Vikings training camp, but he didn't make it out of camp. Otherwise, it probably hasn't been since the early 1990s.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

Zylstyra is great. No doubt. I am not even comparing them because they are different players who would play different positions. different tools etc. one is a slot. one a wideout.

Zylstra is a stud, plain and simple. Davis is a shifty nifty receiver who makes.

I do think Davis will get some looks. we will see.
    I hope he does. It would be nice to finally get a player to the big time.

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied

I mean in terms of what I've heard for chatter. I don't mean to say Davis is not on Zylstra's level, just that Shane is getting a lot more buzz than Davis - from what I've heard.

I think he deserves just as much of a look. Probably haven't heard much because he is with a 3-win team.
    Zylstyra is great. No doubt. I am not even comparing them because they are different players who would play different positions. different tools etc. one is a slot. one a wideout.

Zylstra is a stud, plain and simple. Davis is a shifty nifty receiver who makes.

I do think Davis will get some looks. we will see.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

Not sure what you have for expectations... He had over 100 catches ! 1400 yards. He and Zylstra -- who is getting all kinds if talk were heads and shoulders above the rest of the league at receiver.

Davis is a true slot too. fits that position well. I'm pretty sure other coaches noticed
    I mean in terms of what I've heard for chatter. I don't mean to say Davis is not on Zylstra's level, just that Shane is getting a lot more buzz than Davis - from what I've heard.

I think he deserves just as much of a look. Probably haven't heard much because he is with a 3-win team.

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied

He didn't seem to make a ton of waves around the league - but he was also overshadowed by guys like Zylstra. Whatever the case, he was fun to watch.
    Not sure what you have for expectations... He had over 100 catches ! 1400 yards. He and Zylstra -- who is getting all kinds if talk were heads and shoulders above the rest of the league at receiver.

Davis is a true slot too. fits that position well. I'm pretty sure other coaches noticed

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

I think Daniel Davis has a shot to play on Sunday. Gunner is playing for the Patriots and he is that good I would say.

He is a good route runner and has a knack for the ball. will certainly get some looks.
    He didn't seem to make a ton of waves around the league - but he was also overshadowed by guys like Zylstra. Whatever the case, he was fun to watch.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X