Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dragons' Lair - Minnesota State University Moorhead Football

Hello fellow Dragons! New thread time ahead of the new season!

Check out this new piece from the Fargo-Moorhead program previewing the upcoming season: https://www.inforum.com/sports/footb...ed-2020-season

We have 10 "super" seniors coming back, those who used their extra year of eligibility to come back. From the piece: "Defensive tackle Jordan Magnuson, from Valley City, N.D., is one of those super seniors. The 6-foot-3, 275-pound Magnuson has played in 32 games during his MSUM career with 120 total tackles, 20 tackles for a loss and 9.5 sacks."

We've been picked to finish ninth in the NSIC, but hopefully we'll have a better result. Considering there was a whole year of no football, I'd be happy with another winning season and thrilled with a Mineral Water Bowl berth.

Here are my most anticipated games of the season:

Bemidji State. Our No. 1 rival and the games have been really good lately. Also, the home team hasn't won since the Dragons took the Axe in 2013. MSUM won in Bemidji in 2014, 2016 and 2018, while the Beavers had victories in Moorhead in 2015, 2017 and 2019. We're back in the First City on the Mississippi so hoping for another good road showing by the Dragons to get that Axe back.

UMary. The Dragons have won the last five games and I want to hold on to the Paddle for another year. Trophy games are important for college football and earning a win in the Battle for the Paddle is always a bright spot.

Wayne State. The last two seasons, the Dragons have won the final game of the regular season, and I'd like that to continue. The final game is at home which really makes it special. If it's like the 2018 game, a snow match with a bowl berth on the line, it will be really special.

Minnesota Duluth. The Dragons have become a competitive team in the NSIC, they've found success on the field. One way to take the next step is beating a Blue Blood. That's the opportunity the Dragons have at home against UMD.

Southwest Minnesota State. The Dragons have won their season opener the last five seasons and are 6-3 in the first game since 2011. Really hoping this trend continues, feels good getting a win on opening day, especially when its under the lights on a Thursday. Plus I may need a win that night if the Gophers don't upset Ohio State.

Comment

Originally posted by IceBoxDragon View Post
      Here are my most anticipated games of the season:

Bemidji State. Our No. 1 rival and the games have been really good lately. Also, the home team hasn't won since the Dragons took the Axe in 2013. MSUM won in Bemidji in 2014, 2016 and 2018, while the Beavers had victories in Moorhead in 2015, 2017 and 2019. We're back in the First City on the Mississippi so hoping for another good road showing by the Dragons to get that Axe back.

UMary. The Dragons have won the last five games and I want to hold on to the Paddle for another year. Trophy games are important for college football and earning a win in the Battle for the Paddle is always a bright spot.

Wayne State. The last two seasons, the Dragons have won the final game of the regular season, and I'd like that to continue. The final game is at home which really makes it special. If it's like the 2018 game, a snow match with a bowl berth on the line, it will be really special.

Minnesota Duluth. The Dragons have become a competitive team in the NSIC, they've found success on the field. One way to take the next step is beating a Blue Blood. That's the opportunity the Dragons have at home against UMD.

Southwest Minnesota State. The Dragons have won their season opener the last five seasons and are 6-3 in the first game since 2011. Really hoping this trend continues, feels good getting a win on opening day, especially when its under the lights on a Thursday. Plus I may need a win that night if the Gophers don't upset Ohio State.
      A win for the gophers against Ohio State would be keeping it under 28 points...

Comment

It's gameday! Hoping the Dragons get off to a good start tonight, despite the rain, and come out with a win! There's a tough schedule ahead but I think some key games can go the Dragons way for a winning record and it starts here. My prediction, the game starts out a bit sloppy and the score is low early on but MSUM pulls away in the second half for a 21-10 win.

Comment

Great way to start the season for the Dragons! I know SWMN isn't at the top of the South but if they can put up points and be opportunistic with some TO's like last night, good things will happen.

Comment

Really good first game for the Dragons. The main question going in I think was at quarterback and Falk really stepped up, especially considering it was his first game under the lights. Defense needs some improvement but Laqua's defenses have always been the bend, don't break type.

Comment

Falk looked great. Receivers looked great. I was surprised at how well the o-line played against what appeared to be a bigger and more athletic SMSU D-line. The D-line is strong. What is your impression of the running backs?

Comment

I think it was a fine debut from them but time will tell. It's a young group but it will be great if they can get going to have a more balanced attack with the passing game.

Comment

Tough losing a game when a win was so close. The Dragons were doing pretty much what they needed to for a lot of the game. Getting turnovers, playing tough defense, and moving the ball enough to control the clock. I think the game was really lost when MSU couldn't capitalize with a big drive after Winona State fumbled in the red zone.

I continue to be impressed by Falk. The dude is making heads up plays a lot. There were some mistakes today, too, but he kept the Dragons in it. I thought we ran the ball much better today, too.

This puts a lot of pressure on next week's matchup with Augustana. This four game stretch with Winona, the Vikings, Upper Iowa and Duluth is a tough part of the schedule. Getting a win against the Vikings and then having another chance for a victory at home against the Peacocks would put the Dragons in a good position for the rest of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by IceBoxDragon View Post
                    Tough losing a game when a win was so close. The Dragons were doing pretty much what they needed to for a lot of the game. Getting turnovers, playing tough defense, and moving the ball enough to control the clock. I think the game was really lost when MSU couldn't capitalize with a big drive after Winona State fumbled in the red zone.

I continue to be impressed by Falk. The dude is making heads up plays a lot. There were some mistakes today, too, but he kept the Dragons in it. I thought we ran the ball much better today, too.

This puts a lot of pressure on next week's matchup with Augustana. This four game stretch with Winona, the Vikings, Upper Iowa and Duluth is a tough part of the schedule. Getting a win against the Vikings and then having another chance for a victory at home against the Peacocks would put the Dragons in a good position for the rest of the season.
                    A lot to like for the Dragons. Really good passing game when the Oline was able to keep the pocket clean. In the second half, WSU started to get more pressure and that caused issues for Falk. But the Dragons will be scary for anyone with those to WRs running around out there.

I also think the Dragon defense has some bright spots. They dominated the line in the first half. Whatever Coach Sawyer and staff did at the half certainly woke up the big guys up front for the Warriors. The second half snowballed against the Dragons.

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post

Whatever Coach Sawyer and staff did at the half certainly woke up the big guys up front for the Warriors. The second half snowballed against the Dragons.
                      Probably had what my dad would call a "come to Jesus" talk.

Comment

Another big game coming up this week. Man this beginning stretch is tough with what looks like a really good Winona State team, Duluth which is always a powerhouse and now Augustana which looked quite good in its opening matchup.

I predicted a Vikings victory in the Pick'em thread, but I'm hoping to be wrong on that one. Against Winona State the Dragons had some good moments but failed to capitalize when they needed too. If they can do that again, they might be able to pull off the upset. It would be great to see another situation like in 2017 when MSUM went to Sioux Falls and won 38-7.

Comment

In 2017 the Dragons breathed fire all over the hapless Vikings, as you have noted 38-7. Having sat in the stands to witness that beatdown, statistics don't lie, 1st downs 30-8 rush 226-33 pass 239-94 all in favor of MSUM. In 2019 AU returned the favor in Moorhead 48-3. Steve Laqua is a great coach as Witt stated he gets everything out of his teams. This Augustana team is very much the same personal as the 2019 team, so I'm expecting a Viking victory.

Comment

I figured it would be a long shot and it turned out to be the case. The Vikings looked solid, but I was glad MSUM kept fighting and showed competitiveness. One thing the Dragons have to improve on is the run game. Having a QB like Falk is a plus, but I worry about grinding out games if we're just going to do an air raid. Defense also needs to be tighter, since shootout situations can get dicey.

I think one plus of having these games against Winona State, Augustana and UMD early on is it gives some players valuable experience early on. To earn a winning record this season, I think an Upper Iowa victory is now integral.

Comment

Really glad with a win, but man, closer than I think a lot of people, including me, were expecting. What a gorgeous day for football, though. The weather in Moorhead was bright and sunny, trees were changing color and there was a ton of red and black in the stands.

As for the actual game, same problems, different day. More than 400 passing yards is great, but negative rushing yards are a problem. It's great that Falk is looking like a great passer, but a running game can really help balance things out. It doesn't have to be Dalvin Cook-type running out there, just a capable rush attack that can pick up yards.

The other remaining issue is the defense. Credit where it's due, Upper Iowa made some good plays, and Willy Camacho looks like he's going to be a great weapon for the Peacocks (even though every time I heard his name I just kept remembering President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho from Idiocracy). With that said, the Dragons defense remains a troubling issue. There were so many big third and fourth down moments where MSUM needed to make a stop and they just couldn't do it.

Those issues make me a bit worried for upcoming games, so, fingers crossed they improve as the season goes on. I'm hoping for at least four more wins to get another winning record under Laqua's belt.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X