Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone make it to the Dragons/Mustangs game last night? How'd that one go? Honestly, based on the updates I was getting - I wasn't too disappointed with the result. The Mustangs gave up a 99 yard TD off the first drive, and a few nasty turnovers, but they didn't let Moorhead run away with it like I was assuming would happen.

I went to Mankato instead - I missed the first quarter due to the drive over, but the rest of the game was pretty entertaining. Seemed like that one dropped kick in the fourth really changed things for the Mavs.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
      Northern played well and probably should have won. Things went the Mavs way late- QB throws a pass, it gets batted back at him, he catches it and gets the first down. Kickoff is fumbled and Mavs get it. Mavs line up for the FG, Northern calls a TO, Hoffner changes the call on 4th and 1 and gets the game winning TD. That game would make coffee nervous.

If you don't like how Caleb Slezer runs deport yourself to Kabul. He had around 150 yards and not only pulled away on the long TD run to start the game, but was like a battering ram who refused to go down.
      Looks like he learned quite a bit from Nate Gunn!

Comment

After a chance to sleep on it...it's just a heartbreaking loss for the Wolves. Mankato definitely tried to give NSU the game with the 4 turnovers, but Northern did play well. The scary part is, I think they can play better. There were too many penalties. The DBs will probably be the weakest part of this squad and NSU could have trouble with a good throwing QB like Alt or Larson. I don't know that Ekowa is the answer if Mankato wants to live up to their lofty expectations. I thought the DL actually held up pretty well against what is typically a road grader of an OL from Mankato. Sleezer is a stud and broke a few bigger runs, but overall I was pretty happy with how the Wolves contained the Mavs offense, at least until they just got wore down in the 4th quarter.

I thought the offense looked pretty good, even though I think Trautman did miss some throws. The OL was also solid. The Mavs did get pressure on Trautman, but that is to be expected from a Mankato D. It seems maybe Cherrier was "unavailable" for the first half? He didn't play at all and then had like 6 carries on the first drive of the second. He looked much better last night than he did in 2019. If he is able to provide a competent running game to keep teams a little honest that would be great. Larson, Keporous, Ingram, Streit, and Barnes make for better weapons than NSU has had in a long time. I believe Dakota Larson may be the most dangerous player in the NSIC.

I can't wait to see the Wolves open the new stadium next week. Hopefully that excitement helps to prevent any sort of hangover from almost upsetting Mankato. Expectations were high in Aberdeen before last night even if there was a lot of uncertainty. Now I believe they will be through the roof. This is not something anyone has said about NSU football in a very long time, if ever. I really wish we hadn't collapsed at the end of the game last night, but it's a great day to be a Wolf!

Comment

Game winner in OT- 4th and one.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1433626107987779587

Comment

A few early thoughts.

-Went to BSU at USF....The Beavers look like the better football team right now. Alt has a fair amount to do with that. He gives them a guy they believe in at QB. Plays with poise. Bemidji stacked the box..basically needling USF to throw in the first half....and USF kept running inside on 3rd and 5, etc. It felt like BSU had the USF offense figured out and a physical enough front 7-8 to pull off the plan. USF needs to be able to pass the ball down the field in those situations when the safety is at 5 yards off the ball..coming downhill on the run....and USF has some good options at wideout. I felt Mullen played ok in his first collegiate start at QB..but I don't think he's getting much freedom to do things in the passing game..until late. The 2 minute drill in which you are running ground and pound with 40 ticks left and 40 yards to go....like Kurtiss Riggs (Color guy for Midco) said..just not sure I understand it....to the 2nd string back as well....and then fumble. Malik Williams was a menace for the Beavers and I wrote about him in my preview....he's one of the top playmakers in the conference. He was the difference last night. USF got clubbed in their opener in 2019 at CSP and then hammered Winona a week later....so....who USF is might take a little while to figure. Augie marches into the Bob at the end of the month..so they'll need to figure it out..quickly.

-Shocked by Winona just destroying CSP. I thought CSP would compete and take them to the limit. New Frosh QB for CSP tho..while Winona has vets....I will need to watch that one as time allows this weekend.

-NSU....thought they would hang around for a half..and maybe that's all it would've been if not for turnovers..but kudos to Mike Schmidt and his staff for changing the culture there (seemingly) and for their effort tonight. Should've had a monster upset win. Kato....I thought they'd hit the ground running a little more, but I've eluded to them being in rebuild mode so we shouldn't be completely shocked. Ekowa needs to play better..period. Sleezer is who I thought he was. Connor Thomas part 2..with a little more weight on em.

-Wayne....thumped Mary, as the Marauders scored on the last play of the game = the game wasn't that close. About what most expected. Coach Mac has something cooking there..it seems.

-Moorhead....I'm wrong again with them. Maybe it's more about SMSU being not-good....but the Dragons got out and rolled here.

-UMD big over UIU....yes, expected. Larson is back..they'll be fine.

....making the trip over to Augie for the Vikings and the Minots tmrw. I coach 6th grade tackle football and we have our games on Saturdays..but off this weekend due to labor day wknd. Love getting out to games after having a full year off.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

-Moorhead....I'm wrong again with them. Maybe it's more about SMSU being not-good....but the Dragons got out and rolled here.
              JMHO, but the Mustangs played a lot better than I was anticipating.

I shouldn't have such a low opinion of my own team, I know, but given the factors involved here - we effectively started our football program from scratch.

Happy with the production on the ground, not happy with the production through the air... our FBS transfer QB and the WRs need to get something worked out it seems.

Comment

In the same vein as Thunder

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

JMHO, but the Mustangs played a lot better than I was anticipating.

I shouldn't have such a low opinion of my own team, I know, but given the factors involved here - we effectively started our football program from scratch.

Happy with the production on the ground, not happy with the production through the air... our FBS transfer QB and the WRs need to get something worked out it seems.
                  Didn't every school?

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

Didn't every school?
                    SMSU 2021 recruiting class had 71 young men or 70% of most rosters.
                    Last edited by vikingfaithful; 09-03-2021, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• First half of the Minot @ Augie game is about what I expected. The first quarter both offenses looked pretty rusty. The Vikings started to click in the 2nd and it's been all them so far. 21-0 Augie at the half.

Comment

• Vikings defense has played lights out, the offense picked up steam in the 2nd quarter. RB Jarod Epperson and David Addo have played very well. 21-0. Halftime radio interview with athletic director confirmed 2023 men's hockey with more info to come soon.

Comment

• 49-0 is the final score, everything seemed to go Vikings way including penalties. Viking scored touchdowns on six straight drives. Yardage AU 544 - MINOT 164. Minot was close on many plays and will win games this year. Attendance appeared to be good, despite holiday weekend. Side note: Officials were far less then average.
                          Last edited by vikingfaithful; 09-04-2021, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• For those of you who may not have seen it last week, there is a D2football.com show on tonight. You can see Witt in action.

D2Football.com | Facebook

Comment

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

Didn't every school?
                              Obviously to some extent, but I'd be willing to bet it's nothing like what SMSU went through.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

SMSU 2021 recruiting class had 71 young men or 70% of most rosters.
                                Any team that boasts a QB depth chart that combines for more than one total start in an official NCAA game is sitting a lot better than we are. Bonus points for any team that also entered fall camp with both a punter and a kicker.

We're a team of freshman and JUCO transfers anchored by six guys who've started seven or more games for the Mustangs in a (meaning "singular") season, nine other guys who've been on the field for at least one snap, and our FBS transfer QB who has thrown a few TDs over the course of his career. Possibly several, but definitely not many, or even a basket full.

Anything can happen in the sport of football, but a 2-9 season is realistically the best we can hope for - and possibly not letting the rest of the NSIC south hang a 50+ deficit on us. That's never fun.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X