Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zimmer is a straight shooter. I remember I too got butthurt about something he wrote about Lindenwood when USF and LU faced off in the 2009 national championship game.

Looking backing at it, he was right. I was just up in my feelings.

I wish the STL area had someone like Zimmer covering out local small colleges.
    Last edited by bigsig50; 10-18-2021, 09:55 AM. Reason: because I suck at the wurdz
    Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

I gotta stand up for Zimmer here. "this Zimmer guy"..? Seriously..? He's basically been the main writer for USF and Augie for the past 15 or more years for the Argus and is widely regarded as the best journalist covering local/regional sports in our area.

In a time when markets like we have in the NSIC get covered by media guys who are at their post for 1-2 years, as they move to bigger markets, Zim actually knows the teams/history/perspective on these squads. He's a sportswriter, not an SID who's writing a feel-good article for the school. Zim has gotten very comfortable in his own shoes writing exactly what he thinks and feels with candor, and I for one appreciate that. That said, I also like a local radio guy to be able to tell me things right down the middle and impartial, but I know I'm probably not the norm there.

The print business is having a heckuva time keeping the lights and Zim has been a tremendous asset to all the local programs he touches....and all the local coaches enjoy him and while they wish everything he said was positive about them, they respect the fact he's unafraid to tell it like it is.
      Seriously. It's not a binary "negative" or "rosy" decision. There was no reason to attempt to diminish the accomplishment and his tenure and apparent local fame doesn't somehow give him license to. You should read the article. He did not tell it like it is. That has nothing to do with this. If you know him, you may want to suggest he at least fix this embarrassing lie that makes it look like Augie narrowly avoided a loss:

Zimmer: "A 7-yard pass from Nick Bohn to Mason Lee made it a one-score game again with four minutes left, but the Viking defense held from there, icing it with a late interception"

Truth: That interception happened before that TD. The interception happened at 12:25 in the 4th. Then WSC got the ball back, took 5 minutes to score and then Augie ran the last four minutes off the clock. Source: https://goaugie.com/sports/football/.../boxscore/9059

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
      Working...
      X