Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Millsy View Post

No, hockey is an exception. Since the NCAA does not sponsor a D-II hockey championship, a school at the D-II level can play up for the D-I Championship. They cannot play down for the D-III championship. All they have to do is "declare" that they are playing for the D-I Championship and then make sure their schedule meets the requirements to qualify for the D-I championship. But from a competitive standpoint, it makes sense to just jump your hockey program to full fledged D-I so that you have the option to offer the full 18 scholarships. I believe D-II hockey is capped at around 12 (I could be wrong).

There are a lot more ins and out to all of this, but this is a basic "Cliff's Notes" version.

There is a small group of schools that play "D-II" hockey out east, but do not declare for the D-I tournament. Since the NCAA does not sponsor a championship, they basically just play out their season and call it good.
    Interesting. I wonder where I got the other idea from.

If I'm correct, it's the NE10 conference that has D-II hockey. I always assumed it was just sponsored by the conference and they played for a conference title, but I wasn't really sure.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Interesting. I wonder where I got the other idea from.

If I'm correct, it's the NE10 conference that has D-II hockey. I always assumed it was just sponsored by the conference and they played for a conference title, but I wasn't really sure.
      It gets really convoluted and most people only pay attention to how it affects Basketball and Football. Because of that, they look at all D-I sports being that way.

The other kicker with hockey is that a D-II school cannot share in any of the profits that the NCAA may make off of the D-I tournament, even though the school has a D-I hockey team. D-I tournament profits only go to D-I schools (at least that is how it has been explained to me). Hockey used to be the second most profitable NCAA sport behind men's basketball, but that has changed in recent years.
      Millsy

Comment

It gets really convoluted and most people only pay attention to how it affects Basketball and Football. Because of that, they look at all D-I sports being that way.

The other kicker with hockey is that a D-II school cannot share in any of the profits that the NCAA may make off of the D-I tournament, even though the school has a D-I hockey team. D-I tournament profits only go to D-I schools (at least that is how it has been explained to me). Hockey used to be the second most profitable NCAA sport behind men's basketball, but that has changed in recent years.
        I'd think that schools have an agreement with their conference to share in any revenues.

Comment

Another thread hijacked by that darn hockey thing...shameful

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
            Another thread hijacked by that darn hockey thing...shameful
            My fault! Northern St. should field a hockey team!!

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

My fault! Northern St. should field a hockey team!!
              They should. The Wings have been a pretty successful NAHL franchise. Augustana, Northern and Minot would be a fairly decent start on a conference.
              Millsy

Comment

https://www.d2football.com/nsic-week-four-preview-2021/

Sorry I didn't get this out sooner fellas.
                ???????

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Mr. Witwicki, your weekly previews are appreciated. You watch every game and that gives you insight into each team, you work, are an involved father and since you're handsome, much date as well!

Since only 2 or perhaps 3 teams will make the playoffs it will be interesting who make it this season with six outfits in the running, AU, BSU, MSU, UMD, USF and WSU thus far. Unless UMD has a rash of key player injuries, they are almost a lock.

We can be very thankful Covid 19 has not reared it's ugly head. Knock on wood.

Since I have watched most or all of the Cougars games, (Gotta keep up on your rivals) they look the most improved team in the league. Reisdorfer is a dancing bull, but he doesn't get 160 yards every week without great schemes and blocking. Mullen doesn't throw for a ton of yard, but is incredibly effiecent.

Augustana's QB Saddler the pride of TX. gets lots of flak for int's, but he he tossed 5 td's last week. Sooner or later the Vikings will need his arm to win a game or two and I think he will step up and deliver. AU running game is for real Jarod Epperson is fast, cuts well and see's the lanes. Big David Addo provides plenty of power, plus there is 3 other capable backs. Tomorrow's game at BSU will tell a lot where Augie and Bemidji are heading this season.

Minnesota State is finding their groove, to much talent on that roster to keep them down.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                      Unless UMD has a rash of key player injuries, they are almost a lock.
                      During the previous 5 seasons or so, I though UMD has greatly benefited from their soft North schedules in order to continue to get ranked and make the playoffs. They way they've been playing this year, however, it appears that they've returned to their "real deal" status.

Comment

They should. The Wings have been a pretty successful NAHL franchise. Augustana, Northern and Minot would be a fairly decent start on a conference.
                        but does Aberdeen have the market for a D1 hockey team? They certainly have the support for their basketball team but D1 hockey is a different beast.

Comment

For whatever reason I can't like or quote anything...but Northern was asked many years ago by the board of regents to get womens hockey going and the smart folks at Northern basically laughed at them. The Wings have done well in Aberdeen, which has always surprised me hut good for them. Adding hockey would be a terrible idea for Northern and I don't see it happening. I believe womens lacrosse is coming in the near future though.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                            For whatever reason I can't like or quote anything...but Northern was asked many years ago by the board of regents to get womens hockey going and the smart folks at Northern basically laughed at them. The Wings have done well in Aberdeen, which has always surprised me hut good for them. Adding hockey would be a terrible idea for Northern and I don't see it happening. I believe womens lacrosse is coming in the near future though.
                            Yeah, I after I slept on it, I think you are right. I don't think hockey, whether NCAA or ACHA would take in Aberdeen. Junior hockey can get the families since the players billet with families, bringing that personal connection into play. Also, Junior hockey has fighting, which college hockey does not.
                            Millsy

Comment

Whelp guess I was wrong about SMSU, they played a solid game and picked up a win agains CSP. Looks like a long year ahead for the golden bears. Upper Iowa almost got their first win as well. And mary is up 17-14 in the 2nd against Winona. An early upset alert game right there

Comment

Augustana up 21-10 on a hard fought game. Vikings line play stronger. Alt is a polished QB.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X