Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Vikings of Augustana win 52-24 over Beavers of Bemidji. Saddler tossed 6 touchdowns and ZERO int's. Great effort all around. All players on travel roster got to play.
    BSU should have waited a week for their homecoming game. Congrats Augie!
    Millsy

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post

BSU should have waited a week for their homecoming game. Congrats Augie!
      Beavers ran into a hurricane. Kyle,"Texas Forever" Saddler had his best college game ever. Threw 6 td's and ran 1 in for 7 td's. They wanted to prove they were for real after 3 easier games. Now I'm concerned for a letdown at the Cougars. BSU can win their remaining games and will be golden for a playoff position

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Beavers ran into a hurricane. Kyle,"Texas Forever" Saddler had his best college game ever. Threw 6 td's and ran 1 in for 7 td's. They wanted to prove they were for real after 3 easier games. Now I'm concerned for a letdown at the Cougars. BSU can win their remaining games and will be golden for a playoff position
        I hadn't seen Augustana play until Saturday and that was the best NSIC fball I've seen all season. BSU needs to figure out their secondary and establish a run game to make the playoffs.

Comment

Some of you might've heard my comments already from our D2 Show last night....but here are some further thoughts/details..

Wayne....considering they had to play a new QB, at Duluth no less....pretty impressive performance for the Wildcats..while UMD fans saw the worst healthy outing of John Larson that I can recall. 1 of his first 10 and then 11 or 28, with 2 picks. He's normally rock solid and the best in the NSIC over the past few seasons. UMD isn't quite who I'd thought they were..but it does fit my own thoughts that there might not be a fire breathing dragon in the conference this year..but instead a collection of good teams at the top, but maybe not elite.

While I'm not ready to say Augie is a top 5-6 team in the country, I have been saying for a while now they are as good as anyone or better than anybody in the NSIC. We will know much about them after USF....and if they pass that with flying colors, certainly they are the frontrunner. One of the best games ever from Saddler on Sat. IF he can play anywhere close to that, they could go 11-0. He's been erratic enough that I'm not willing to bet on it. Clearly they are a 2 score favorite coming into USF. (I saw I was called a Sioux Falls homer by picking both squads last week....were they not both favorites..? I'm kinda confused by that comment)

The Wolves....well I was at that game field level. Spoke to Mike Schmidt about an hour before kick. He said he really liked their skill guys on offense. Easy to see why..and their speed at those spots on turf was something to see. USF was in a zone and the Wolves wideouts were flying around and finding open windows everywhere seemingly..and USF wasn't getting pressure. Northern was really up for this game and will need to find a way to get pumped up for lesser opposition in their future games as they've started out slow against SMSU and UIU.

#13..the xfer LB from Miami of Ohio..Nate Robinson....might be the best backer in the conference. Dude is long and flies from sideline to sideline..and can hit. I realize their offense is getting the headlines..but he and corner #10 Donovan Lucus (D3 transfer with Coach Schmidt, Wisc Stephens Pt) impressed me also..he was able to man-up Pegley from USF, their top wideout..and not give him room to operate. The NSU D (as stated by Schmidt) was completely geared towards slowing down Thuro. They did a good job of it....as USF had 160 yards at half and kinda forced USF out of their comfort zone and the Cougars passing game looked out of sorts, leading to Mullen having a 7-22 with 2 picks stat line at the break..down 31-0. This is something USF is going to need to further concern themselves with....teams doing what BSU did and NSU....having the dudes to be able to commit a lot against the run and daring USF to pass..and the Cougars struggling with that, against capable opponents.

If you take a moment and watch the postgame presser with Mike Schmidt, you can see where he's trying to take this program and the culture change that's happening in Aberdeen..
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6fHbU5DISY&t=20s

Impressive wins for both Wayne and Northern....two new head coaches with huge wins just a month into their first seasons. Maybe some new kids on the block..

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
            (I saw I was called a Sioux Falls homer by picking both squads last week....were they not both favorites..? I'm kinda confused by that comment)

#13..the xfer LB from Miami of Ohio..Nate Robinson....might be the best backer in the conference.
            I find that some people can't wait to see how you pick- and when you do, they take it personal like you insulted their family. And then I even get asked if I am going to give you crap for your picks and you picked them correctly anyway. No, everyone's picks are their own. People can post theirs on the pick em thread if they are that interested.

Miami of Ohio. I wonder if he knows former Red Hawk standout linebacker Brad Koenig? Asking for a friend.

Brad Koenig - Football - Miami University RedHawks (miamiredhawks.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
              (I saw I was called a Sioux Falls homer by picking both squads last week....were they not both favorites..? I'm kinda confused by that comment)
              My Sioux Falls bias comment was made in jest, unfortunately sarcasm does not translate well in text. Augie and USF were surely favorites for last week's games. I really thought Bemidji would give Augie more of a game...and I was clearly wrong. I picked NSU because I'm an unabashed homer, but I did not expect them to play as well as they did. I agree with Witt that there is no dominant team in the NSIC this year, but Augie does seem to be the best so far. Mankato, Duluth, Northern, Winona, Bemidji, USF, and Wayne(???) all seem capable of winning (or losing) any given week. Heck, even Moorhead and Mary can't be taken lightly by anybody in the conference. It may not bode well for the NSIC in the playoffs, but it will make for an entertaining regular season.

Comment

In the pick-em thread, except for homers I don't recall anybody picking Wayne and Northern. Picking an upset is really hard to do. As Tundra_man pointed out USF stats were close to NSU, turnovers are killers and that was the Cougars plague.

Comment

[QUOTE=Thunder;n605260]

My Sioux Falls bias comment was made in jest, unfortunately sarcasm does not translate well in text. Augie and USF were surely favorites for last week's games. I really thought Bemidji would give Augie more of a game...and I was clearly wrong. I picked NSU because I'm an unabashed homer, but I did not expect them to play as well as they did. I agree with Witt that there is no dominant team in the NSIC this year, but Augie does seem to be the best so far. Mankato, Duluth, Northern, Winona, Bemidji, USF, and Wayne(???) all seem capable of winning (or losing) any given week. Heck, even Moorhead and Mary can't be taken lightly by anybody in the conference. It may not bode well for the NSIC in the playoffs, but it will make for an entertaining regular season.

Your Sioux Falls bias was pure sarcasm and jest, that's the way I took it. If you want to see unsportman like conduct go to the MIAA blog, those guys are nasty to each other at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post

Heck, even Moorhead and Mary can't be taken lightly by anybody in the conference. It may not bode well for the NSIC in the playoffs, but it will make for an entertaining regular season.
                    Northern fans feeling pretty high and mighty. Remind me, how have the last few meetings between MSUM and Northern gone? Talking down to Moorhead like the little brother while you've lost 4 of the last 5 meetings is an interesting move.

Comment

• Originally posted by D2FootballFan1992 View Post

Northern fans feeling pretty high and mighty. Remind me, how have the last few meetings between MSUM and Northern gone? Talking down to Moorhead like the little brother while you've lost 4 of the last 5 meetings is an interesting move.
                      Fair point, however the source of my confidence is due to the fact that the Northern football program already appears to be in a different place than it has been in any time over the last...well forever probably. Coming into the season I looked at the Moorhead game as a toss up that NSU would need to win in order to be above .500 this season. Now, I'm slightly more optimistic. I don't believe the Dragons are among the top of the conference, but I do believe they could give anyone in the conference a good game. I also believe Mary can do that, as they showed this past weekend at home vs. Winona. It is comforting that Moorhead fans feel like little brother on the football board just like the basketball board though.

Comment

• I meant to speak to the overall stats in the USF vs Northern game. at half is was 31-3..
                        Northern QB was 22-27 for 241 yards
                        USF QB was 7 of 22 for 115 yards, 2 picks

Thuro was 12 for 53 rushing.

Yards were 337 to 164. I mention this as often times the halftime stats really tell the story more accurately once the winning team goes into a prevent..to some extent. I hate to say it, but the second half offensive numbers that got USF to 440 were pretty hollow numbers since the final was 41-10.

The NSU defense was clearly better than I had assumed or given them credit for. It would seem they step up more against top opponents..so a fear of letdown against someone the players doesn't think is legit, could be a danger.

Side note....the stadium was electric..very well appointed..tightly packed within a neighborhood setting (parking was a little tight)..and the overhang in the bleachers made me think of USF..and the stone surrounding the outer limits of turf reminded me a bit of Augie. (some of the best things from both venues) I was on the field for most of the game..walked around a lot..and then went up in the media area up high and the view is very very steep, looking very much straight down..not that it's a bad thing. Lots of nice office area and of course everything is new new. The sunlight for the 6pm kick created a large shadow of the home stands over the turf..to the left side....and then went away. On a warm day it might be much cooler on the home bench than the visitors..as the sun was literally right in the face of the visiting stands. (I'm not thinking that was intentional, but just is what it is) The one true blemish on the stadium is the high school-like visitors side. 5 rows of bleachers from the 25 to the 25..and then a standing area behind them (which I think is a solid idea)....but if a team truly brought a lot of fans (USF did not, inexplicably) I don't think those bleachers would accommodate very well. There is a street directly behind the visitors stands....so I get it, but just sayin. For example....USF vs Augie..those stands wouldn't fit the visitors very well. (just as an example) There is plenty of fence line that fans were standing behind on the north side, which is where the gate is to come onto the field. There is berm area to the south side much the same as Augie..a fantastic scoreboard with digital display..and a nice open concourse (like USF) on the home side. The stadium itself is loud and the band makes it plenty louder..and they are very active during the game. Northern has a really nice stadium to be proud of there..something totally different (in a good way) versus the Swish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                          The one true blemish on the stadium is the high school-like visitors side. 5 rows of bleachers from the 25 to the 25..and then a standing area behind them (which I think is a solid idea)....but if a team truly brought a lot of fans (USF did not, inexplicably) I don't think those bleachers would accommodate very well. There is a street directly behind the visitors stands....so I get it, but just sayin.
                          And to me as a season ticket holder for the Wolves, I love nothing more than the high school-like visitors side. The visitors should feel a little inferior walking into The Bank, but that's just my opinion. In addition, I am equally as pleased that they have a separate concession stand in the south end-zone for visitors to use, so that they shouldn't ever enter the stadium.

Watching the progress of the stadium has been awesome, and having the finished product turn out the way it did is surreal that something so special is in Aberdeen, SD. That being said, clearly Schmidt and Co. are upping their recruiting game with the level of talent on the field and one has to assume that stadium is a big reason why the turn around is happening so fast. Many fun things going on for Northern and looking forward to another raucous crowd for Gypsy Days in week 5. Assuming a crowd of 6,000+ in attendance for that, as I've heard it is already sold out. #GoDamnWolves

Comment

• Blakeslee is old but one thing about it is that is LOOKS like a college stadium. If the day ever comes that it is replaced before it or I collapse, I hope that they keep that in mind. Otherwise it is like building a new bathroom and leaving off the door. .

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                              Blakeslee is old but one thing about it is that is LOOKS like a college stadium. If the day ever comes that it is replaced before it or I collapse, I hope that they keep that in mind. Otherwise it is like building a new bathroom and leaving off the door. .
                              MSU doesn't need the best stadium- they just need a new stadium with modern amenities. The on field product takes care of everything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

MSU doesn't need the best stadium- they just need a new stadium with modern amenities. The on field product takes care of everything else.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X