Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post
    I went to UW River Falls and they finally got with the times and updated the stadium recently. It was probably worse than the Blake before the upgrades. The joke was always that people had deer stands that were nicer than the press boxes. The lights were a couple feet from the sidelines so there was always a risk of a player running into them.
    I was watching South Dakota play at the Blake. One of their players got pushed out of bounds on the southeast side of the stadium and hit his head on the corner of the concrete. He was down for awhile. Too dangerous.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post

I think anyone walking into The Bank will be impressed. The visitors side is a little small, but still offers a good viewing experience. I'm not sure there was enough space to put up any more seating on that side. Parking was always going to be an issue so you couldn't move the stadium any further west. The softball complex was also a must in terms of selling the facility as well. And honestly I don't think there will be much of a need for more than 7000 fans. Yes, this weekend is sold out but the first Gypsy Day game in the new house is going to have a huge crowd. In the future when NSU is someday fortunate enough to host a playoff game I still think 7000 will be enough for a November game. I don't know how many visiting fans travel for playoffs, its never been a concern in these parts.
      The visitors side was fine. It doesn't need to be any more fancy/comfortable than the home bleachers. The building materials felt a little cheap, but that's not really here nor there. My one gripe though is that the goalposts were blocking the downs info on the videoboard from my angle. It would be cool if they could put up a ribbon board on the second deck to show that information. I get that it wouldn't serve much purpose beyond that and aesthetics though, so it probably doesn't make much sense financially.

The softball field was barely noticeable during the game. If they had to incorporate it, they certainly did a good job.

Actually, the only real complaint I have with the stadium is the ticket booth.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

Not the home team's choice. The NCAA are the ones that set that.
        I get that - it's dumb on the part of the NCAA, not the schools.

But... if I've learned anything, it's that complaining about the NCAA on a message board rarely ignites any change. Might even hinder it, actually.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

The visitors side was fine. It doesn't need to be any more fancy/comfortable than the home bleachers. The building materials felt a little cheap, but that's not really here nor there. My one gripe though is that the goalposts were blocking the downs info on the videoboard from my angle. It would be cool if they could put up a ribbon board on the second deck to show that information. I get that it wouldn't serve much purpose beyond that and aesthetics though, so it probably doesn't make much sense financially.

The softball field was barely noticeable during the game. If they had to incorporate it, they certainly did a good job.

I've heard the same scoreboard complaint from several people. I would expect that at some point there may be an additional scoreboard or ribbon added somewhere with time, score, down & distance. You don't realize how much you look at that until you can't see a piece because of a pole or a graphic displaying.

Comment

I was watching South Dakota play at the Blake. One of their players got pushed out of bounds on the southeast side of the stadium and hit his head on the corner of the concrete. He was down for awhile. Too dangerous.
            I have the same issues with the south end zone bleachers in Winona. I know Augustana had a player run into them a couple years ago pretty good.

Comment

The Chet in Bemidji was really tight on the visitor's side until they took the track out and re-centered the field.

It is still really tight for soccer.
              Millsy

Comment

"The visitors side was fine"......from an SMSU person. Relative to Marshall....ok, I get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

"The visitors side was fine"......from an SMSU person. Relative to Marshall....ok, I get it.
                  Our visitor's side is abysmal, yes. Though I was thinking about USF and Mankato when I wrote that, since those are the two road stadiums I frequent the most.

What would make it better?

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post

I've heard the same scoreboard complaint from several people. I would expect that at some point there may be an additional scoreboard or ribbon added somewhere with time, score, down & distance. You don't realize how much you look at that until you can't see a piece because of a pole or a graphic displaying.
                    Interesting. From the home side as well?

The board itself is actually really impressive, especially at a D2 stadium. It was just the viewing angles that were a little annoying. I couldn't simply lean one way or another to see what I needed too, I'd have actually had to leave my seat and walk to a different place. Odd how that works.

It's a minor complaint, the stadium itself was ultra impressive. I want to come back some day when I can sit on the home side and root for the home team.

Comment

Our visitor's side is abysmal, yes. Though I was thinking about USF and Mankato when I wrote that, since those are the two road stadiums I frequent the most.

What would make it better?

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

One thing to consider: (for various reasons at different places).

At MSU, the home side can fill up at times, also the sun keeps the visitor side warmer
                        Great post. For many years when I was coaching I would sit at midfield in the front row on the east side so I could hear what the opposing coaches were doing. Learned a few things. Yes, the sun did help. for the last 20 years I've been in exactly the same place by the press box door. I sat in the front row once after a knee injury but you have a hard time between seeing over the team and the people who are constantly walking by.

Comment

Great post. For many years when I was coaching I would sit at midfield in the front row on the east side so I could hear what the opposing coaches were doing. Learned a few things. Yes, the sun did help. for the last 20 years I've been in exactly the same place by the press box door. I sat in the front row once after a knee injury but you have a hard time between seeing over the team and the people who are constantly walking by.
                          In a perfect world, the first row of seats is elevated about 10 feet from the walkway (with an area easily accessible for non-stair using people as well). Then you can see over both.

Comment

Interesting. From the home side as well?

The board itself is actually really impressive, especially at a D2 stadium. It was just the viewing angles that were a little annoying. I couldn't simply lean one way or another to see what I needed too, I'd have actually had to leave my seat and walk to a different place. Odd how that works.

It's a minor complaint, the stadium itself was ultra impressive. I want to come back some day when I can sit on the home side and root for the home team.
                            Yes, the goal post and net posts block some of the scoreboard even from the home side. A bigger complaint is the stadium operations crew needs to figure out how to use the thing. It is an amazing video board, but for the entire first half of the game against Mary there was no score chyron on the screen. No score, no down, no yard line, no clock. They had the stats on the sides but didn't have the score up there (given how the game was going that may not have been such a bad thing I guess). They did get that added for the second half. I've been told there are also several other "entertainment" options supposedly available that just are not being used (i.e. a program for lighting options for TDs, turnovers, etc.) The stadium is great, but there are still some kinks to work out, as expected I suppose.

Comment

• That is true, and I also don't have the most extensive resume when it comes to road games either - just MSU, USF, and now NSU. Technically CSP as well, though that was at the Metrodome.

Comment

That is true, and I also don't have the most extensive resume when it comes to road games either - just MSU, USF, and now NSU. Technically CSP as well, though that was at the Metrodome.
                                Concordia used to play at the Metrodome???

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X