Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing with Minot, they were generally one of the better teams in the NAIA Dakota Athletic Conference, but on a whole that conference was probably the weakest in all of NAIA. The DAC disbanded leaving Minot with the choice to be NAIA independent, or transition to D2 and join the NSIC.

Given their location, I can only imagine it would have been brutal trying to fill an independent NAIA schedule. Therefore they pretty much were forced to jump to D2 even though they probably weren't quite ready as a program to make that move.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

The Hoffner/Minot situation was weird, and messy. Not really my place to comment either, and I don't want to derail the thread just to share my opinion on it.

I wish the best for Minot and hope they don't go down the same road Crookston did, though they aren't quite as bad. They probably just need the right mix of people running the show.
      Agreed, at the end of the day they have the foundation in place. Great facilities, an AD and president that backs the team and an eager staff, I can this being an off year. Last years off season affected everyone differently.

Comment

Speaking of Minot - this is a curiosity...

A lot of NFL teams have swung through Minot, primarily looking at the Left Tackle Sebastian Gutierrez. I'm guessing they hit most of the NSIC campuses as part of due diligence. I think Minot is just putting it out to show that if you're good enough, you can get attention if you go there.

Comment

Originally posted by WhyNotMinot View Post

A lot of NFL teams have swung through Minot, primarily looking at the Left Tackle Sebastian Gutierrez. I'm guessing they hit most of the NSIC campuses as part of due diligence. I think Minot is just putting it out to show that if you're good enough, you can get attention if you go there.
          I was also thinking Ivan Avalos - but it could be him too.

I did a quick analysis of NSIC players to make the NFL post Adam Thielen once, and NFL teams have definitely picked up interest in the conferences' teams since he became a name. I just thought it was neat. I know we've had NFL scouts out to Marshall a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

Agreed, at the end of the day they have the foundation in place. Great facilities, an AD and president that backs the team and an eager staff, I can this being an off year. Last years off season affected everyone differently.
            Aldrich is also an experienced coach and fairly new to the program, if I'm correct - though I don't know anything about him beyond that. It could take a couple recruiting cycles for something to take hold, and yeah, COVID was definitely a bummer.

Definitely would like to see them become more competitive. As we've seen this year in the NSIC, the more the gap closes between the top and bottom halves, the more entertaining the product is.

Comment

Aldrich is also an experienced coach and fairly new to the program, if I'm correct - though I don't know anything about him beyond that. It could take a couple recruiting cycles for something to take hold, and yeah, COVID was definitely a bummer.

Definitely would like to see them become more competitive. As we've seen this year in the NSIC, the more the gap closes between the top and bottom halves, the more entertaining the product is.
              Aldrich has been at Minot for nearly 5 years now already. After getting the boot from Augie he bounced around the NSIC as an assistant before heading up to Minot. I wouldn't exactly call him new to the program. At some point, it just might not be working. I really don't think Aldrich is the guy for them longterm (the more I think about it, he and Coach A are quite similar in personality and coaching philosophy) but MSU has an uphill battle either way due to all the other reasons already laid out.
              4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
              2016 NSIC Champions
              🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Ever since Minot transitioned to D2, they have been playing like they have 1 hand tied behind their back from bad hires to player issues to just plain bad luck, at some time you would have to think we would hit on something and start moving in the right direction because at this point we can't get much more wrong....

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

I'll save you time. I don't remember saying rap music, nor does the type of music really matter. But the difference between that staff, Dosch who was a character guy that was trying to fig out of a hole and the approach of the Mike Schmidt era are completely different. Maybe Boden has grown over the years, my opinion doesn't really matter regardless, but it was awful for Northern and I've got plenty of classmates that would back that.

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

Aldrich has been at Minot for nearly 5 years now already. After getting the boot from Augie he bounced around the NSIC as an assistant before heading up to Minot. I wouldn't exactly call him new to the program. At some point, it just might not be working. I really don't think Aldrich is the guy for them longterm (the more I think about it, he and Coach A are quite similar in personality and coaching philosophy) but MSU has an uphill battle either way due to all the other reasons already laid out.
                    I didn't realize it had been that long already. I remember he left SMSU to take that job, but I thought it had only been a couple of years.

So no, he's not new to the program. Huh.

Comment

Guessing it might have something to do with this:

2005 Chris Boden 6 5 0 .546
                      2006 Chris Boden 4 7 0 .363
                      2007 Chris Boden 5 6 0 .455
                      2008 Chris Boden 1 10 0 .091
                      2009 Chris Boden 2 9 0 .182

NSU was a fairly consistent .500+ team, and hadn't had a stretch this bad since the late 1970's. Looks like Dosch had a rough year in 2010 (understandably), but then reeled NSU back to being consistently above .500 for much of his time there.

I wouldn't say rap music is the issue, though if he's blasting it while casually driving around town - that does conjure a very specific type of person in my head, one who I wouldn't trust to lead a college football team. It's pretty juvenile behavior past the age of 20.

EDIT: I should clarify, I don't know him personally nor do I mean any ill-will. 2005 was also a long time ago.
                      Last edited by SW_Mustang; 10-12-2021, 12:46 PM.

Comment

He's the Athletics Director at Rome HS in Georgia - if you scroll to the bottom:

Administration | Rome High School

Comment

My post about rap music got taken out of context. Just to clarify, it was said on a thread the Boden was seen in a car blasting music with a full suv of people. This is not ideal behavior of a Head Coach and as was said anyone over the age of 20 for that matter. People grow and change so its great to see hes got a job as an Athletics Director. Thank you SW Mustang for that find. As you can see his results on the field spoke even louder and that was the clear issue.

Bottomline there is no magic formula for picking a successful head coach and its even more difficult in DII as at times its used as a stepping stone. I wish Minot the best and as was said before its great when the gap closes as I am really enjoying this year. Bagnell looks like he has Mary on an upswing but I am just taking it game by game.

FYI, this was the coach they took a chance on who got a recommendation from Ohio State. As you can see it didnt pan out. Also my mistake, looks like he might have gotten the recommendation from Urban Meyer, not Luke Fickell.

??????https://msubeavers.com/sports/footba...ler-hughes/432

??????https://www.patspulpit.com/2020/6/15/21291282/new-england-patriots-reportedly-add-tyler-hughes-to-their-coaching-staff
                          Last edited by UMary1; 10-12-2021, 01:03 PM.

Comment

One note about NSU's 2008 season - based purely on W/L/T, it was their worst season since 1945.

NSU won one game in 1949, and again in 1979 - however, they also tied two games and one game respectively. I'm not sure how ties worked back then or if they were possible in 2008, but NSU also lost every game during regulation in 2008, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

1945 is notable because it was the program's first year back after a two year hiatus for WWII where they went 0-4. If we excuse that season for the war, then we'd have to go back to 1927 when the Wolves went 0-7-2. Though, their W% counted as .111, or 20 points higher than 2008.

Obviously, once you start comparing it to the 1920s, it's pretty apples-to-oranges, but I'm just trying to highlight how bad 2008 was in Aberdeen compared to the historical record. I can believe there was some serious frustration with the Wolves faithful.

2010 - Dosch took over as coach, going 2-9 (understandably). By 2012, NSU was a consistent 6-game winner again, which is a title a lot of teams in the conference would want.

Comment

You guys are making me not feel all too great about listening to rap music in my car.

Comment

If Bemidji can turn it around, Minot should be able to. But it takes a complete buy-in into the culture.

BSU, when I was in school, was the laughing stock of the NSIC (or was it still NIC then) with Morris in football. The season seemed to come down to the BSU/UMM game to see who would end up 1 and something and who would go 0-fer. But then Tesch came on board, got some of the local talent and got kids to buy into the culture. While it took time, they turned it around. Now Bolte is building off of that.
                                Millsy

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X