Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playoff picture as I see it for NSIC.
    One loss teams
    WAYNE ST. Schedule left: AU, @SMSU, @UIU, USF, @ MSUM. Two tough home games. Win out and are conference champs.

MN. DULUTH. @ CU, BSU, @MINOT, NSU, AU. Hard home schedule. Have to play better for playoff birth. Can still win conference.

AUGUSTANA. @WSC, @MSU, WSU, @UMD, SMSU. Three brutal road games, win two of them they're in playoffs. Win all, are champs
    2 loss teams
    BEMIDJI. MSUM, @UMD, SMSU,@NSU, MARY. Difficult games left. Have to play better defense for post season shot.

MN. MANKATO. @UIU, AU, USF, @SMSU, @WSU. Despite 2 losses they still strike fear in opponents heads. Win all and likely in.

NORTHERN. MINOT, @CU, @MSUM, BSU, @UMD. Winning all is feasible and are playoff bound.

SIOUX FALLS. MARY, WSU, @MSU, @WSC, UIU. Never count out the Coo. Win out and should be in.

There are many different scenarios here. In two weeks picture will clear up significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post
      If Bemidji can turn it around, Minot should be able to. But it takes a complete buy-in into the culture.

BSU, when I was in school, was the laughing stock of the NSIC (or was it still NIC then) with Morris in football. The season seemed to come down to the BSU/UMM game to see who would end up 1 and something and who would go 0-fer. But then Tesch came on board, got some of the local talent and got kids to buy into the culture. While it took time, they turned it around. Now Bolte is building off of that.
      Moorhead is another recent example of this.

Comment

Please re-read again. I said I don't recall saying it was rap music and that the type of music is irrelevant.

He was recently hired and driving a brand new navigator around with his coaching staff and it looked like a group of high schoolers. You can spend your money however you'd like and not here to be the fun police, but seeing that from a fresh hire and and learning the things and seeing that kind of football after having coach Heupel was just a snowballing mess.

Sw has put a lot out there as far as info(I kind of miss being more active and having that kind of time on here, some days) and it is what it is. I have no idea what he is like, I don't wish bad on anyone. We're are simply speaking to the point that that era really, really set us back. Fan interest was certainly low, morale was low, and even talking to the big donors and alumni now they still talk about it at times.

Josh Moon was progressive and had a vision. He got a lot of people on board and made a lot of things happen. Moving on from Dosch was necessary to continue these visions though many were hurt by it because at Northern a LOT goes into personal relationships but in the end, it was justifiable.

Dosch should be recognized for his efforts of bring it back to atlwast a middle of the pack program. He had one very good year but at the time, it was an excellent hire and built at least some foundation to build upon, which brings us to now.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
          One note about NSU's 2008 season - based purely on W/L/T, it was their worst season since 1945.

NSU won one game in 1949, and again in 1979 - however, they also tied two games and one game respectively. I'm not sure how ties worked back then or if they were possible in 2008, but NSU also lost every game during regulation in 2008, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

1945 is notable because it was the program's first year back after a two year hiatus for WWII where they went 0-4. If we excuse that season for the war, then we'd have to go back to 1927 when the Wolves went 0-7-2. Though, their W% counted as .111, or 20 points higher than 2008.

Obviously, once you start comparing it to the 1920s, it's pretty apples-to-oranges, but I'm just trying to highlight how bad 2008 was in Aberdeen compared to the historical record. I can believe there was some serious frustration with the Wolves faithful.

2010 - Dosch took over as coach, going 2-9 (understandably). By 2012, NSU was a consistent 6-game winner again, which is a title a lot of teams in the conference would want.
          Another fun fact, not that it really matters but is interesting, Northern State has more collegiate football wins than any other college program in the state. I haven't seen that for awhile so could have changed by now but maybe 4-5 years ago was still the case.

Again, more interesting than a valuable point.

Comment

I've always believed there's an importance in finding someone with ties either to the university or region. Minot is the perfect type of school that should do this.

John McMenamin is a recent success story. Even though he went to Northwest MO, he's an Elkhorn native who probably had some familiarity with WSC. That can be a big help in recruiting and even on the financial side with getting buy-in from donors to get a program up and running. It helps you know the type of people who will be successful in a location both on and off the field.

If he were a decade or two younger, I would try hard to lure Randy Hedberg. Obviously that won't happen. Another interesting name if he wanted to return to coaching might be Tom Dosch (had a couple ND stops before Northern). If he improves his coaching profile, a young name I would look to in a few years might be MSU graduate Cunha. See the theme here?

Minot's best record in D2 is 3-8. 6 of their 19 D2 wins came against Crookston.

(sorry for piling on)

Comment

Originally posted by IceBoxDragon View Post
              You guys are making me not feel all too great about listening to rap music in my car.
              The only rap that I allow in my car are Wild Thing & Funky Cold Medina by Tone Loc, Baby Got Back by Sir Mixalot and Ice, Ice, Baby by Vanilla Ice.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

The only rap that I allow in my car are Wild Thing & Funky Cold Medina by Tone Loc, Baby Got Back by Sir Mixalot and Ice, Ice, Baby by Vanilla Ice.
                I mean...what else is there? Hah

Sorry for my involvement in this detour, by the way.

On to week 7 discussions

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

He's the Athletics Director at Rome HS in Georgia - if you scroll to the bottom:

Administration | Rome High School
                  Nice find!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                    I've always believed there's an importance in finding someone with ties either to the university or region. Minot is the perfect type of school that should do this.

John McMenamin is a recent success story. Even though he went to Northwest MO, he's an Elkhorn native who probably had some familiarity with WSC. That can be a big help in recruiting and even on the financial side with getting buy-in from donors to get a program up and running. It helps you know the type of people who will be successful in a location both on and off the field.

If he were a decade or two younger, I would try hard to lure Randy Hedberg. Obviously that won't happen. Another interesting name if he wanted to return to coaching might be Tom Dosch (had a couple ND stops before Northern). If he improves his coaching profile, a young name I would look to in a few years might be MSU graduate Cunha. See the theme here?

(sorry for piling on)

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Another fun fact, not that it really matters but is interesting, Northern State has more collegiate football wins than any other college program in the state. I haven't seen that for awhile so could have changed by now but maybe 4-5 years ago was still the case.

Again, more interesting than a valuable point.
                      I'd believe it. I mean, aside from the early days of the program and a couple missteps along the way, Northern seems to have been a super consistent long-term winner.

I think a lot of programs would love to have that type of success. Obviously would like to see you guys in the playoffs one of these years, but you've got a great foundation to leap from.

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

Nice find!!
                        Thanks! Took me a bit because HS records aren't as extensive.

Looks like after Northern, he did a quick stint with Ferris before heading to the high school ranks. He was never HC after Northern, even in high school, but it looks like he fell into some roles where he was able to be successful. The AD job is pretty new for him.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Please re-read again. I said I don't recall saying it was rap music and that the type of music is irrelevant.

He was recently hired and driving a brand new navigator around with his coaching staff and it looked like a group of high schoolers. You can spend your money however you'd like and not here to be the fun police, but seeing that from a fresh hire and and learning the things and seeing that kind of football after having coach Heupel was just a snowballing mess.

Sw has put a lot out there as far as info(I kind of miss being more active and having that kind of time on here, some days) and it is what it is. I have no idea what he is like, I don't wish bad on anyone. We're are simply speaking to the point that that era really, really set us back. Fan interest was certainly low, morale was low, and even talking to the big donors and alumni now they still talk about it at times.
                          Bingo on the bolded - I had a feeling that's what was going on. Generally speaking, I'm a live-and-let-live kinda guy - however I'm still a believer in maturity and maintaining professionalism, especially in football. When a guy is being paid to be a leader of young men, I would expect him to act like a leader and not a young man. Again, don't know coach and based on what I read, it seems like he may have found his groove. Sometimes it just takes time.

Glad I was able to bring up some relevant info. Records don't always tell the full story - but it's always the place to start, and this one told me a lot. Fate decided to pull a prank and launch me into an unexpected supply chain career about 6 months ago, so sometimes I do have the time and sometimes I'd give anything for it, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

hahaha this cracked me up. NSU4Life, I apologize my relay of your post went on a spiral. I agree with all your posts at the end of the day. Following Mary, I have had some knowledge with NAIA, there is a coach at Valley City who has always impressed me (Dennis McCulloch) continuous winning seasons. Strong recruiting pipeline to Alaska, Florida, and Texas. Hes a Northern Alum, looks like hes made Valley City his home meaning I don't think he's looking for a move anywhere just thought its an interesting take. I am not saying Bismarck is the Miami of the midwest but I have been to Valley City and getting 18-20 years olds to commit there is a feat in itself.

For this week I feel Mary's game vs. Sioux Falls could possibly be a turning point for Mary's program. Its a winnable game, not discounting Sioux Falls but Mary offence is firing on all cylinders. Win this week to go 3-4 and it builds momentum for the back half of the season. I feel were teetering on a 6-5, 7-4 season or the other way 3-8, 2-9. I wont say this is a must win but its big. I see Sioux is 4-2. SW Mustangs, I saw some of your takes from last week. What do you think?

Last edited by UMary1; 10-13-2021, 06:25 AM.

Comment

https://bismarcktribune.com/sports/c...efined_bistrib

I knew he was good on the ground and was elevating our ground game, didnt know he was 6th in rushing. Pumped for Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

(sorry for piling on)
                                Former offensive coordinator at WSC

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X