Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    I've always believed there's an importance in finding someone with ties either to the university or region. Minot is the perfect type of school that should do this.

John McMenamin is a recent success story. Even though he went to Northwest MO, he's an Elkhorn native who probably had some familiarity with WSC. That can be a big help in recruiting and even on the financial side with getting buy-in from donors to get a program up and running. It helps you know the type of people who will be successful in a location both on and off the field.

If he were a decade or two younger, I would try hard to lure Randy Hedberg. Obviously that won't happen. Another interesting name if he wanted to return to coaching might be Tom Dosch (had a couple ND stops before Northern). If he improves his coaching profile, a young name I would look to in a few years might be MSU graduate Cunha. See the theme here?

Minot's best record in D2 is 3-8. 6 of their 19 D2 wins came against Crookston.

(sorry for piling on)
    Followed another former Minot assistant, who accepted the HC position, to an NAIA school in IA. Another former Minot assistant ended up there, tool That's three former Beavers at one school.

Comment

With an important game Saturday between Wayne St. and Augustana, I was curious how WSC went from a 4-7 in 2019 to 5-1 currently. They have much talent that carried over from 2019, especially on defense. On offense they brought in a great class of transfers and JC players that have greatly contributed to their success. Transfers and CC. players don't always work out, so kudos to Coach McMenamin and staff.
      Offense
      QB Nick Bohn, Central MO.
      WR Trystan Ducker, USD.
      WR Grady Taurean, ARK. Baptist.
      RB Anthony Watkins, Dodge City CC.
      OL Arnold (Lou) Gray, Morningside College.
      OL Randy Gehl, Ellsworth CC.
      OL Ike Bebout, Newton CC.
      Defense
      LB Jaylan Scott, Ellsworth CC,
      FS CJ Burress, Ellsworth CC.
      NG Luke Sims, Iowa Western CC.

All these young men are transfers and starters. There are more transfers that contribute. What a job of evaluating talent.

Wayne State is the favorites to win the game and other then Augustana fans everybody will be cheering for the Wildcats understandably.

Comment

Minot has strugged in football but has been competitive in most sports. They are just fine the NSIC.

Baseball, men's hoops, women's hoops etc are competitive. They have really struggled in volleyball too, but overall, good facilities and lots of scholarships.

They can and have mostly done ok.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
          Minot has strugged in football but has been competitive in most sports. They are just fine the NSIC.

Baseball, men's hoops, women's hoops etc are competitive. They have really struggled in volleyball too, but overall, good facilities and lots of scholarships.

They can and have mostly done ok.
          That's a true point too. They definitely belong in the NSIC, would just like to see the football team be more competitive.

Honestly, I think they'll get there. Despite similar records, they differ so much from Crookston in terms of facilities, admin support, and culture.
          Last edited by SW_Mustang; 10-15-2021, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
            With an important game Saturday between Wayne St. and Augustana, I was curious how WSC went from a 4-7 in 2019 to 5-1 currently. They have much talent that carried over from 2019, especially on defense. On offense they brought in a great class of transfers and JC players that have greatly contributed to their success. Transfers and CC. players don't always work out, so kudos to Coach McMenamin and staff.
            Offense
            WR Trystan Ducker, USD.
            Defense

All these young men are transfers and starters. There are more transfers that contribute. What a job of evaluating talent.

Wayne State is the favorites to win the game and other then Augustana fans everybody will be cheering for the Wildcats understandably.
            In addition to this (nice work VKF)....is them moving out scholarships from 22 (as stated by Coach in our interview on Sunday) to over 30....per my sources. So..surely that nabbed plenty of the guys needed for the change. Obviously the story of the year in the conference.

My thoughts on the game this week....and how the conference looks pre-playoffs..
            NSIC Week Seven Preview - 2021 (d2football.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
              I've always believed there's an importance in finding someone with ties either to the university or region. Minot is the perfect type of school that should do this.
              Josh Duhamel?

Comment

Northern and (hopes of) postseason mentioned in the same sentence...

It's been 17 long years and coincidentally, Ken Heupel's last year with the Wolves

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                  Northern and (hopes of) postseason mentioned in the same sentence...

It's been 17 long years and coincidentally, Ken Heupel's last year with the Wolves
                  It's been a fun thing to think about this season. The Mary loss put the Wolves playoffs hopes on life support, but if NSU wins out they have a chance. The last 5 games will get progressively more difficult as we start with Minot this week. However, if NSU can set up a de facto playoff game in Week 11 at Duluth it would be exciting. Most of the time the NSU fan base has started to turns its eyes to basketball season by mid-October. This year may be a little different.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post

It's been a fun thing to think about this season. The Mary loss put the Wolves playoffs hopes on life support, but if NSU wins out they have a chance. The last 5 games will get progressively more difficult as we start with Minot this week. However, if NSU can set up a de facto playoff game in Week 11 at Duluth it would be exciting. Most of the time the NSU fan base has started to turns its eyes to basketball season by mid-October. This year may be a little different.
                    We can all do the "what if?" game and we likely all have. It's very difficult to think catching that kick against Mankato and simply not giving up 42 first half points (which just is painful) to Mary and I mean....we just can't do it. To suddenly have a team that is this entertaining and competitive every week is a real treat and something this fan base has been dying to have for a very long time. While others are saying play is down due to Covid season, this staff not only built a roster but got them to mesh over that same time period and were focused from the very beginning. It's really remarkable.

Just have to keep that focus and stay healthy and finish each game, one at a time. It's hard for a program with not much success to suddenly just be calm in the storm and handle each game as "winners". Lots of games left and we'll see if both Northern and Waybe for that matter can't hang on to this awesome ride each school is on.

Comment

Witt summed up my feelings for the USF-Mary game tomorrow quite well. Scary. Mary's offense is no joke and the Coo got torched by BSU and NSU through the air. They've been playing better as of late but I'm still not sure what to make of them. I also fear that USF will see UMary on the schedule and think, "we got this." But they don't as 2021 has clearly shown that the conference is wide open and Mary much improved. USF has owned the series against Mary as of late, but the Marauders knocked us off in 2013 up in Bismarck 17-10. A freshman and very raw Luke Papillion struggled to complete forward passes (thankfully he improved greatly in his career) while we had no issue running the ball. He was 10/29 for only 95 yards. Mary's QB that day was none other than current HC Craig Bagnell. One of the weirdest losses I've been a part of. I'm going to pick my Cougars being at home but I can't say I'm very confident in my pick. Prove me wrong Coo.

Augie-Wayne will be fun. Keep it rolling Wildcats.

BSU-Moorhead is another under the radar game like Mary-USF that I think will be close. BSU looked like a PO contender early on, right now, I'm not sure what to think.

WSU like BSU, I don't know what to think. I expected more from the Warriors. Figured they'd send Sawyer out on a high note. SMSU could do it but I'm not so sure after watching the Mustangs struggle last weekend against USF.

The rest, yawn.
                      4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                      2016 NSIC Champions
                      🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
                        Witt summed up my feelings for the USF-Mary game tomorrow quite well. Scary. Mary's offense is no joke and the Coo got torched by BSU and NSU through the air. They've been playing better as of late but I'm still not sure what to make of them. I also fear that USF will see UMary on the schedule and think, "we got this." But they don't as 2021 has clearly shown that the conference is wide open and Mary much improved. USF has owned the series against Mary as of late, but the Marauders knocked us off in 2013 up in Bismarck 17-10. A freshman and very raw Luke Papillion struggled to complete forward passes (thankfully he improved greatly in his career) while we had no issue running the ball. He was 10/29 for only 95 yards. Mary's QB that day was none other than current HC Craig Bagnell. One of the weirdest losses I've been a part of. I'm going to pick my Cougars being at home but I can't say I'm very confident in my pick. Prove me wrong Coo.

Augie-Wayne will be fun. Keep it rolling Wildcats.

BSU-Moorhead is another under the radar game like Mary-USF that I think will be close. BSU looked like a PO contender early on, right now, I'm not sure what to think.

WSU like BSU, I don't know what to think. I expected more from the Warriors. Figured they'd send Sawyer out on a high note. SMSU could do it but I'm not so sure after watching the Mustangs struggle last weekend against USF.

The rest, yawn.
                        Somehow Mary is going for their 3rd straight road win. I have high hopes Logan Nelson can pick apart Sioux Falls secondary, but my hopes aren't as high we can get stops the other way. D Line for Mary has stepped it up of late but like you our Secondary hasn't been consistent. Should be a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                          Offense
                          WR Trystan Ducker, USD.
                          Defense

Why do you say that? Everybody on here loves Augie.

Comment

Mavericks still have a shot of the playoffs but they absolutely must win out the rest of their games and also get help from other teams. They do have the opportunity for a get it right game against the winless peacocks And I expect him to play very angrily and have a chip on their shoulder today.

Comment

Thuro Reisdorfer is playing today for the Coo
                              2016 NSIC Champions
                              🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

13 plays and get inside the 5yard line but can't convert a 4th and 1. Turnover on downs. Time to see the Mary Air show in action.
                                2016 NSIC Champions
                                🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X