Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you win at SMSU???

How many schollies do they have?? Are they staffed as much as everybody else??? Looks like people like Bemidji have more Minnesota/Wisconsin kids on the roster. SMSU looks like they are more transfer oriented. Is that because of location or program strength???

Some of your questions can be answered by your own research instead of tripe? Hell yes they can win.

Comment

Can't win consistently at SMSU. School does not put enough into the fball program. Too many programs competing against too few quality players in the region. SMSU can't win those recruiting battles for D2 quality players. SMSU could have a surprise season and win 7 games once every 10 years but won't be able to build a program there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavalier 1 View Post
        How many schollies do they have?? Are they staffed as much as everybody else??? Looks like people like Bemidji have more Minnesota/Wisconsin kids on the roster. SMSU looks like they are more transfer oriented. Is that because of location or program strength???
        yes they can win. went 8-3 in 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavalier 1 View Post
          nobdy knows how many scholarships SMSU really has or for most of the NSIC schools. There is a whole thread of speculation on that.

Best guess is SMSU has 24-26 scholarships. But hard to know for sure.

they are UNDERSTAFFED. They have 1 less or 2 less full time coaches than most NSIC schools. That is riduculous and the fault of administration.

SMSu has not traditionally beeen transfer orientated but COVID decimated their program.

Comment

Originally posted by NSICFballFan View Post
            Can't win consistently at SMSU. School does not put enough into the fball program. Too many programs competing against too few quality players in the region. SMSU can't win those recruiting battles for D2 quality players. SMSU could have a surprise season and win 7 games once every 10 years but won't be able to build a program there.
            I suspect a great many would agree with this and history suggests there is some truth to it.

The same was true of SMSU basketball at one time. Priot to 1997, SMSU was THE WORST D2 program in the entire country as far as historical winning percentage. THE ABSOLUTE WORST. LOOK IT UP. But then they made 4 good hires in a row -- Ford, Miles, Stemen, Bigler and also gave them a competitve number of scholarships -- still not maxed but close and wow they won!!!!!!

Amazing if they administration would do the same with football. We will find out.

Comment

Would love to see Scott Underwood, former St. Cloud HC and AU grad become your next HC. Augustana had reached out to him before they hired Coach OJ about if he was interested in applying for the job. He decided to stay at SCSU.

Comment

I would say that the areas of Marshall and Bemidji have much the same going for them and against them. And according the scholarship info from another thread, BSU is lower than SMSU. What turned BSU around is getting the right kids, kids that will buy into the program. BSU has seen it work with hockey, football and now soccer.

So yes, it can happen, but won't happen overnight.
                Millsy

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

I suspect a great many would agree with this and history suggests there is some truth to it.

Amazing if they administration would do the same with football. We will find out.
                  I hope I'm wrong. I want to see SMSU succeed. SMSU seems to have been in desperation mode the past few recruiting classes. Basically trying to replace an entire roster every season. I hope they can focus on getting the right kids and developing them instead of hoping for instant gratification with substantial out of region recruits and JC transfers. I'd like to see them try the MSUM approach. Likely won't help much the first 2-3 seasons but would be a good long term investment.

Whoever gets the job has a lot of work cut out for them. Hopefully will have patience.

Comment

The school was struggling for quite a while. That's the real reason why we haven't been able to pump more money into the program.

From what I'm hearing, that's starting to change. Trying to bring kids to Marshall is tough, not a great place to spend your college years. The new president has been fairly aggressive with his new plans. I've met with him personally about it, and I'm a believer. He did some great things at WVSU before he came here.

Anyway, we've won in the past and we'll win again. Nobody predicted 7-5 in 2013 or 8-3 in 2015. Two Harlon Hill finalists in that time. We'll be fine. Bullerman/McClure seem to have good inroads into the SW US, but that also brings it's own set of problems.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

The same was true of SMSU basketball at one time. Priot to 1997, SMSU was THE WORST D2 program in the entire country as far as historical winning percentage. THE ABSOLUTE WORST. LOOK IT UP. But then they made 4 good hires in a row -- Ford, Miles, Stemen, Bigler and also gave them a competitve number of scholarships -- still not maxed but close and wow they won!!!!!!

It's much easier to transform a basketball program than a football program.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

It's much easier to transform a basketball program than a football program.
                        True, but it can be done. It won't be easy. It probably will never be to Mankato or Duluth levels. But it can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

True, but it can be done. It won't be easy. It probably will never be to Mankato or Duluth levels. But it can happen.
                          NWMS used to be a program where they only win a couple of games a season wayyyy back in the day so it can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

NWMS used to be a program where they only win a couple of games a season wayyyy back in the day so it can happen.
                            USF started playing football in the late 1800s. IIRC, until their current winning season streak started in 1994, the football team had only three winning seasons total prior to that. They were notoriously bad at football.

I agree, it can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

USF started playing football in the late 1800s. IIRC, until their current winning season streak started in 1994, the football team had only three winning seasons total prior to that. They were notoriously bad at football.

I agree, it can happen.
                              Wowza!!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X