Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Interesting....the timing is right tho..with Mines just finishing up over the weekend
    Timing does make sense.

Didn't see that name coming, though that's misleading because I didn't know the name prior to reading the article. :)

Anyone know a bit about this gentleman?

Comment

There was 3 finalists for this job as of Thursday evening....but 2 of the 3 pulled out after further consideration on their own side. Since they coach elsewhere, I'm not posting who they are here..since they did pull their name(s) out. Anyway..I'm assuming either the CO Mines OC was on their radar or furthermore were impressed with his ability to move the ball the way they did this postseason/against Valdosta in the manner they did. Pete Sterbick has a mix of experience and has shown well with Mines specifically, even if for a short time.

Since it's seemingly apparent none of the 3 internal candidates are going to get the job, then things will turn to them still being on contract for another season..and I don't get the impression WSU is/has the $$ to just buy them out. Certainly they could choose to go elsewhere or maybe they get moved to some other job within the school....but the most obvious thought would be they are coaches next season and would need to come to grips with not getting the gig itself and also serving a new leader.

As for what seems to be their 2 finalists....I'm feeling that Zac Barton gets the job given his past with the school, their further comfort with him, and that he's got FCS D1 on his resume as well, etc. Certainly Pete Sterbick has made a name for himself with their trip to the semis and good showing there, but it just feels like Winona will go with Barton in this situation.

Comment

2 solid finalists for Winona. Seems like either has a good resume and would be a solid choice.

Comment

There was 3 finalists for this job as of Thursday evening....but 2 of the 3 pulled out after further consideration on their own side. Since they coach elsewhere, I'm not posting who they are here..since they did pull their name(s) out. Anyway..I'm assuming either the CO Mines OC was on their radar or furthermore were impressed with his ability to move the ball the way they did this postseason/against Valdosta in the manner they did. Pete Sterbick has a mix of experience and has shown well with Mines specifically, even if for a short time.

Since it's seemingly apparent none of the 3 internal candidates are going to get the job, then things will turn to them still being on contract for another season..and I don't get the impression WSU is/has the $$ to just buy them out. Certainly they could choose to go elsewhere or maybe they get moved to some other job within the school....but the most obvious thought would be they are coaches next season and would need to come to grips with not getting the gig itself and also serving a new leader.

As for what seems to be their 2 finalists....I'm feeling that Zac Barton gets the job given his past with the school, their further comfort with him, and that he's got FCS D1 on his resume as well, etc. Certainly Pete Sterbick has made a name for himself with their trip to the semis and good showing there, but it just feels like Winona will go with Barton in this situation.
          Barton would be a home run hire. Sean Lewis and company have built a solid program at Kent State and the MAC is not easy to rebuild in. A lot of energy and a presence that resonates with young athletes. Here is a video of the two.

??????https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwoIoCwATC0

Comment

Thanks for the info, Witt. Appreciate that.

I've told people that I hope the hire has strong WSU ties as I want someone who will stay for the long run. Barton, at least on the surface, feels like that guy. But both seem like solid hires.

Comment

I'm hearing the hiring process with Winona isn't going awesome....and that the two finalists did not take the job. I'm not sure where exactly this puts things with regard to this hire but lets say things haven't quite gone as planned. I assume to some extent they re-open the process unless someone has a change of heart. One of the finalists initially 2 weeks ago just took the Idaho HC job. Considering the Idaho salary is about 3x the $$..not sure that was a tough decision.

Comment

I'm hearing the hiring process with Winona isn't going awesome....and that the two finalists did not take the job. I'm not sure where exactly this puts things with regard to this hire but lets say things haven't quite gone as planned. I assume to some extent they re-open the process unless someone has a change of heart. One of the finalists initially 2 weeks ago just took the Idaho HC job. Considering the Idaho salary is about 3x the $$..not sure that was a tough decision.
                Do you know if they both were offered and turned it down or if WSU didn't offer. I have no idea how the coaching hiring goes so I assumed that if both were finalists that one would get offered the job.

Comment

Interesting that Eck applied.....bet he wasn't expecting to get the Idaho job then.

Comment

Seems not great for a more established program like Winona....though things have gotten weird there under the current AD.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post

Do you know if they both were offered and turned it down or if WSU didn't offer. I have no idea how the coaching hiring goes so I assumed that if both were finalists that one would get offered the job.
                      I'm told offered....and they declined. It does make ya wonder if the existing staff having another year left is playing into this also.

Comment

UMD coach Weise signed 3 year extension, well deserved

Comment

I'm told offered....and they declined. It does make ya wonder if the existing staff having another year left is playing into this also.
                          Interesting thought....isn't it the same situation at Southwest? Though I feel like there's a different level of candidate pool, so I wonder if it would be as much of a factor here....

Comment

If I was the new head coach I would want to be able to hire my own people. It would make a difference for me.

Comment

Thought that would be the case. Can't blame them if they can't bring in their own people right away.

Comment

That would make this a tough job to take in my opinion. I get wanting to protect the guys that have been assistants for a while, but if I'm a new coach coming in I would want my own guys. Maybe the thought process was that it would help keep more players around too? At this point, what are the chances that one of the current assistants end up getting the head job?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X