Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thunder View Post

That would make this a tough job to take in my opinion. I get wanting to protect the guys that have been assistants for a while, but if I'm a new coach coming in I would want my own guys. Maybe the thought process was that it would help keep more players around too? At this point, what are the chances that one of the current assistants end up getting the head job?

Comment

That does seem like a very possible solution at this point, but that only puts the coaches and players in a lame duck season and makes this process worse. I guess if they have a very good year, then maybe you just remove the interim label, but as you said this seems less than ideal.

Comment

This seems pretty messed up. They have known since before the season started that it would be Sawyer's last year. Now here we are at Christmas and no decision? At least at other places they have only had since the end of the season.

Comment

Maybe the AD is the issue?

Comment

I suggested way back when....that a interim tag would be best in this case, for 1 year..given the existing contract thing. Clearly they've forged ahead and now have stubbed their toe. How the assistants reacted to not getting the job would seem to be telling for their future at WSU. I kinda think it's hard to reverse course now without looking very whoops. You'd think with the depth of candidates Winona had for this job, they'd have other strong remaining candidates like Jim Glogowski from Mankato (DC), Scott Underwood, or crazy as it sounds..Cory Sauter from SMSU, who is tight with Sawyer..which might actually hurt him in this case depending on the view of the AD about that situation. Or maybe something like Coach Glo as head coach and Sauter as OC. Just spitballing here of course.

SMSU is about 2 steps behind this in the process. They've done zoom interviews but I haven't seen finalists yet..and they are getting some common names but maybe not as much attn as the Winona opening. But yes, both have this coaches with a year left situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
              I suggested way back when....that a interim tag would be best in this case, for 1 year..given the existing contract thing.

SMSU is about 2 steps behind this in the process. They've done zoom interviews but I haven't seen finalists yet..and they are getting some common names but maybe not as much attn as the Winona opening. But yes, both have this coaches with a year left situation.
              I mentioned existing assistant coaches contracts as an issue for both positions. At Southwest, look For 2 of the 3 finalists to have coaching experience Northeast of Marshall. Have the names but will wait for confirmation.

Comment

I suggested way back when....that a interim tag would be best in this case, for 1 year..given the existing contract thing. Clearly they've forged ahead and now have stubbed their toe. How the assistants reacted to not getting the job would seem to be telling for their future at WSU. I kinda think it's hard to reverse course now without looking very whoops. You'd think with the depth of candidates Winona had for this job, they'd have other strong remaining candidates like Jim Glogowski from Mankato (DC), Scott Underwood, or crazy as it sounds..Cory Sauter from SMSU, who is tight with Sawyer..which might actually hurt him in this case depending on the view of the AD about that situation. Or maybe something like Coach Glo as head coach and Sauter as OC. Just spitballing here of course.

I kind of assumed they would go with the interim tag to keep everything steady for another year and would allow the remaining coaching contracts to expire. Have to wonder if the current coaches though the same since they stuck around and haven't taken any other jobs, or maybe they have and we don't know it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by oldyellaHer69 View Post
                  Maybe the AD is the issue?
                  Not a big football guy when it comes to WSU but the way the post Leaf basketball hiring process was handled I rather expect the AD to eff it up.

Comment

Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post

I mentioned existing assistant coaches contracts as an issue for both positions. At Southwest, look For 2 of the 3 finalists to have coaching experience Northeast of Marshall. Have the names but will wait for confirmation.
                    The one is obvious...has been mentioned here many times. The only other name that comes to mind is Mark Sipple, now at Augie.

Comment

I've been told by coach buddies that SMSU will be interviewing this coming week. Had 3 guys I guess..and if Winona hires 1 of them....then it'd be 2. I'm hearing Winona might have their guy but it was yesterday and nothing official given the holiday. I'm guessing WSU announces early next week..maybe even Monday..if they can firm everything up. The names involved have been mentioned here..some more than others. All have coached within the NSIC in the recent past.

Comment

https://winonastatewarriors.com/news...niversity.aspx

It's finally official word....Bergy took the gig. He interviewed last week and it's now his gig. This didn't go real smooth for Winona along the way, but they got their guy now. I will see if I can reach Bergy and make time to post something about it....once he gets his feet settled in. I knew him from his days in Sioux Falls....real good guy.

Comment

It's finally official word....Bergy took the gig. He interviewed last week and it's now his gig. This didn't go real smooth for Winona along the way, but they got their guy now. I will see if I can reach Bergy and make time to post something about it....once he gets his feet settled in. I knew him from his days in Sioux Falls....real good guy.

Comment

Really interesting process played out in Winona. Bergstrom was a guy I had looked at once in my research for possible candidates, so it's not totally out of left field here. Minnesota guy, experience in D3, D2, FCS.

Comment

The meet and greet is at the local brewery so hes already won me over.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X