Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fruechte going to Winona to be the Offensive Coordinator. Ouch... that one hurts seeing him make a lateral move within the conference to a team Northern beat this season on the road during their homecoming. Family ties back home was what the article NSU released mentioned. I thought he'd be in the HC conversation, but figured we were safe keeping Fruechte when he wasn't announced a HC finalist.

In addition, Kirkwood also listed in the article going to FCS Western Illinois. Not as big of a loss for Northern, but still a former Gophers RB coaching the position he played hurts. Hope we can get a few quality candidates in to fill these vacancies.

Comment

Originally posted by #WolvesNation View Post
      Fruechte going to Winona to be the Offensive Coordinator. Ouch... that one hurts seeing him make a lateral move within the conference to a team Northern beat this season on the road during their homecoming. Family ties back home was what the article NSU released mentioned. I thought he'd be in the HC conversation, but figured we were safe keeping Fruechte when he wasn't announced a HC finalist.

In addition, Kirkwood also listed in the article going to FCS Western Illinois. Not as big of a loss for Northern, but still a former Gophers RB coaching the position he played hurts. Hope we can get a few quality candidates in to fill these vacancies.
      https://winonastatewarriors.com/news...ing-staff.aspx

Here's the word from the Winona site. Considering it's within an hour of where he grew up..and Winona is a solid program, I kinda get it. The Wolves are also losing a good share of the production (OL included) from their potent offense last season.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

https://winonastatewarriors.com/news...ing-staff.aspx

Here's the word from the Winona site. Considering it's within an hour of where he grew up..and Winona is a solid program, I kinda get it. The Wolves are also losing a good share of the production (OL included) from their potent offense last season.
        I get the going home part. It's still definitely a lateral move, which was surprising to me. I didn't expect Fruechte for too long but definitely wasn't expecting to lose him to a fellow NSIC school as a Coordinator.

Comment

Played against him in HS, losing a couple state championships to him and his HC dad as they began their dynasty. Also, knew him from some UofM connections once he got to the Gophers. Guy is gonna do some big things methinks. I'd much prefer Fruechte stays in the North for now but good opportunity for him to be closer to home til his next move.

Wayne is much improved, SMSU has a decent hire if they can support Underwood, and WSU appears to have done well with Bergy and now luring Fruechte to the staff. As a Coo fan, I hope we don't stay stuck in neutral because the division appears to have gotten even stronger as of late. Get busy living, or get busy dying.
          4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
          2016 NSIC Champions
          🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
            Played against him in HS, losing a couple state championships to him and his HC dad as they began their dynasty. Also, knew him from some UofM connections once he got to the Gophers. Guy is gonna do some big things methinks. I'd much prefer Fruechte stays in the North for now but good opportunity for him to be closer to home til his next move.
            I'm glad they waited until after I graduated high school to start their dynasty. I remember watching Karl Klug, who played at Iowa and then for Tennessee Titans, play against my old high school and felt bad for the lineman who had to guard him. Held his own for a while but good lord Klug was quick off the ball.

Comment

People thought there might be some jumps between programs for the HC positions, so probably shouldn't be surprised that it happened at OC.

Comment

Originally posted by #WolvesNation View Post

I get the going home part. It's still definitely a lateral move, which was surprising to me. I didn't expect Fruechte for too long but definitely wasn't expecting to lose him to a fellow NSIC school as a Coordinator.

Comment

Comment

Historically, I would agree with you that Winona has had a better program than NSU. However, I believe that with the recent upgrades to facilities and funding that Winona and Northern are on a very similar level. Now I'm sure most NSIC fans, especially Winona fans, will scoff at that notion but the attitude toward the football program in Aberdeen has changed dramatically in the last few years. The expectation for NSU is now to be battling for playoff births every year with Mankato, Duluth, USF, Winona, Augie, Bemidji, etc. I completely understand Fruechte wanting to be closer to home with another good NSIC program. But it is still very disappointing to lose a very promising coach to another program in the conference that we will be competing with for a playoff spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post

Historically, I would agree with you that Winona has had a better program than NSU. However, I believe that with the recent upgrades to facilities and funding that Winona and Northern are on a very similar level. Now I'm sure most NSIC fans, especially Winona fans, will scoff at that notion but the attitude toward the football program in Aberdeen has changed dramatically in the last few years. The expectation for NSU is now to be battling for playoff births every year with Mankato, Duluth, USF, Winona, Augie, Bemidji, etc. I completely understand Fruechte wanting to be closer to home with another good NSIC program. But it is still very disappointing to lose a very promising coach to another program in the conference that we will be competing with for a playoff spot.

Comment

• I don't know anything, just speculation, but I don't think we should read any more into it than the opportunity to be closer to home. At least, not unless we hear otherwise. Winona is historically a very good program in the NSIC and while my Maroon and Gold glasses see NSU as the program with the better trajectory, a lot of people will think Winona is a better job than NSU. I do believe this will be another short term stint for Fruechte as from everything you hear he is destined to keep moving up the coaching ranks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post

I don't scoff at the notion that Northern is turning the corner in football. I hope that happens and think it would be good for the conference. I think it's tough to compare the two programs with a historical lens and not think Winona has been the better program, but I feel like this move was to get close to home. If I had the chance to get a comparable (to maybe, maybe a better job) and live 20 miles or so from my home town, I'd jump at the chance.

It was not a name I expected to see joining the staff. But certainly am pleasantly surprised.

Comment

• Y'all got any of those OCs???

USF's Jim Chapin off to Eastern Washington in addition to WR Coach/Special Teams Coordinator Brandon Johnson-Farrell joining former Coo coaches Tremaine Jackson and Brandon Anderson at Valdosta.

Coach A has some spots to fill on offense.
                            4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                            2016 NSIC Champions
                            🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

• Jim Chapin (OC) has left USF for Eastern Wash.

This word has been out there for a few weeks....but it's official word today. Unsure if he's taking on the OC role there as neither side has specified.

BJ Farrell also left USF for Valdosta yesterday....WR Coach, I believe.

So now we have USF, NSU, and SMSU all looking for an OC..

....and I can see Sammy posted first..haha.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                                Jim Chapin (OC) has left USF for Eastern Wash.

This word has been out there for a few weeks....but it's official word today. Unsure if he's taking on the OC role there as neither side has specified.

BJ Farrell also left USF for Valdosta yesterday....WR Coach, I believe.

So now we have USF, NSU, and SMSU all looking for an OC..

....and I can see Sammy posted first..haha.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X