Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post
    With the significant impact of the transfer portal on D2 schools; I suggest in addition to posting incoming recruits each school post the know departures to the transfer portal from each program. That will give a more accurate picture of each program. Just a suggestion.
    I'd agree with this statement....as the portal is now like the "other" part of recruiting that is seemingly equally important as the bringing in of HS guys.

Comment

I'm curios on how the transfer portal has impacted JUCO programs. I know they get a lot of the problematic kids looking to turn it around but I wonder if they are seeing less of the kids who want to transfer out to get more playing time or get recruited again.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post
        I'm curios on how the transfer portal has impacted JUCO programs. I know they get a lot of the problematic kids looking to turn it around but I wonder if they are seeing less of the kids who want to transfer out to get more playing time or get recruited again.
        Yes, JUCO programs get young men with disciplinary past, but most want to improve their grades or mature physically to improve opportunities for a scholarship. I believe a prominent member on this forum attended a JUCO. Wouldn't think the transfer portal would impact junior colleges.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Yes, JUCO programs get young men with disciplinary past, but most want to improve their grades or mature physically to improve opportunities for a scholarship. I believe a prominent member on this forum attended a JUCO. Wouldn't think the transfer portal would impact junior colleges.

Comment

Always pegged him as a rebel. Probably snuck back in 5 minutes after curfew and took an extra glass of milk up to his room.

Comment

Speaking of the transfer portal, I saw someone post that there were 1400 kids currently in the transfer portal (not sure how accurate that number is but I cannot dispute it). My assumption on how it affects JUCO kids is that fewer get an opportunity to move up and they wind up either moving to a 4 year as a normal student, or they may just stop school altogether. My family's recent experience with the inflated transfer portal means that fewer and fewer D1 FCS and FBS teams are willing to take the developmental players that used to make up majorities of college rosters. One small FBS coach said they only take developmental players who are Team GPA boosters. Another FCS coach was honest and stated that he expects his best kids to wind up in the transfer portal and will just replace with other transfers to fill the holes. So unless the JUCO or HS player can play early or is ultra-talented, there is very little room for them. Between the Covid Year, Super Seniors, and the transfer portal recruiting has been a wild west adventure. I can only imagine the downward stress it has placed on D2, D3, and NAIA divisions.

Comment

Thank you WPHB for shedding some light on the transfer portal. Perhaps I'm benign to the transfer portal situation, but I'd like to think there still are athletes who take academics and long-term friendships before football. Moving from school to school and re-acclimating yourself has to take a toll on academics and one's personal life. D2 has always been somewhat of a developmental class of football taking fringe D1 players and trying to develop them to FCS or FBS type of players in their JR. or SR. years. Almost every year after graduating a player or two from the NSIC gets a shot at the NFL. If an athlete is good enough pro leagues will find you.

Hopefully, the NSIC does become a feeder league for the local FCS programs. Augustana has been resistant to the transfer game thankfully and I hope that doesn't change, but we have already heard of programs having to re-recruit their upper classmen to stay on campus. Augie is having another excellent recruiting class and I hope the coaches can retain all of them. College is about much more than football.

Comment

Thank you WPHB for shedding some light on the transfer portal. Perhaps I'm benign to the transfer portal situation, but I'd like to think there still are athletes who take academics and long-term friendships before football. Moving from school to school and re-acclimating yourself has to take a toll on academics and one's personal life. D2 has always been somewhat of a developmental class of football taking fringe D1 players and trying to develop them to FCS or FBS type of players in their JR. or SR. years. Almost every year after graduating a player or two from the NSIC gets a shot at the NFL. If an athlete is good enough pro leagues will find you.

Hopefully, the NSIC does become a feeder league for the local FCS programs. Augustana has been resistant to the transfer game thankfully and I hope that doesn't change, but we have already heard of programs having to re-recruit their upper classmen to stay on campus. Augie is having another excellent recruiting class and I hope the coaches can retain all of them. College is about much more than football.
                  VKF....I agree with your take on Augie, as they'd typically had little reliance on juco transfers..but I think the portal will be viewed slightly differently..almost like a less concerning xfer as often times the guys in the portal have increased their value and are essentially testing it in the portal, but there's a good amount that are simply disliking their current role on the team and want a jump-free card to another school. This will have an adverse impact on juco's as the pool of potential free agents has now increased a lot..and teams will probably take a guy who was already playing in the NCAA over a juco guy..as they'll often be viewed as a lower risk..whether talent or character issues. These aren't absolutes, but probably how teams will view these players in the pool.

At some point every school is going to need to dip into the portal if they aren't already....otherwise risk being left behind and potentially missing out on some suddenly available talent.

Comment

I am pretty old-fashioned and want kids to have a full college experience and not just a job playing football. I think there is a measure of loyalty that must go into these transfer portal decisions beyond I want more playing time etc. I am biased because in HS I was one of the guys who was never gonna play ball past senior year and spent most of my time on scout team getting pounded. So my experience is that given a chance I would have been loyal to anyone who gave me a shot at an education. But I also understand Matt's thought that every school may have to dip into transfers if they want to keep pace. Unfortunate but true. Also, I can see for the kids, if they got suckered into a bad situation by a less than honest coach, recruiter, or service then they get a chance to make it right.

I will say that when I heard what I heard from those coaches it just floored me. My only consternation would be that I hope NSIC is not a feeder for FCS. It seems to me that the D2 experience is its own unique world. I went to a D2 school and can say that I would not be where I am now had I gone to a school with a big student body. All that to say I am glad my son chose the school he has and I hope that regardless of what the circumstances are, he understands how much more there is outside of football in his soon-to-be new town. Can't wait for Feb. 2nd!!!

Comment

UMary is making a dent in Arizona. Theyre RB coach has done an incredible job over the last couple years. They just locked up RB Jerimiah Moore out of Chandler, AZ. He had some nice offers, SMSU being one of them. Looks like he can be a nice addition. Never get too excited over these until they materialize, good news none the less.

??????https://www.hudl.com/profile/3173937/Jeremiah-Moore

Comment

Prep Redzone Minnesota
                        @PrepRedzoneMN@UMaryFootball
                        ! The Preseason First Team All-State pick is going to look great in the NSIC. Congrats from
                        @PrepRedzoneMN
                        , Ryan!

Mary also stole a good one out of MN, looks like Bagnell is selling the pass to some top level WRs. I am hoping the momentum from last year carries over and they break out. Some nice pieces are coming along. 1-10,2-9, 4-7, I was skeptical Bagnell wasn;t going to get it done but it looks as if things are coming together.

Comment

Always look forward to NLI day Wed. the 2nd. Thus far most of Augustana's class is from local states WI, NE, MN, IA and SD. They scored well from TX and AZ. It's enjoyable to see recruits grow into starters, graduate and start meaningful careers. 7 days my football compadres.

Comment

Crazy we're only a week out!

Comment

Mustangs pick up Bryce Lund, 6'7" WR out of Sauk Rapids Rice

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X