Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Northern Sun - Projections / Team Updates

Hey folks, starting a thread here for people to share in one spot general updates to their team..or plus or minus how they figure their squad will look for the upcoming season..

The league will be losing some of the top signal callers but will still have a fair amount of them returning. The NSIC became very much a passing league in 2021..and secondary's couldn't slow them down much.

The NSIC clearly lacked an alpha squad = a clear cut top team that was ready to win big come the playoffs. Instead the NSIC had about 7-8 teams that all kinda beat up on each other....from Kato thumping Bemidji..to Augie splitting with BSU but then losing to USF..who lost to BSU..and so forth. I cannot recall a year that's had such parity at the top of the league as this past fall. Unfortunately, that made for plenty of good teams, but not a true alpha has been like Mankato.

So....how do you feel your squad will look come the fall and what changes do you see coming..or needed..

MSU needs a dominant QB and running back. Slezer was injured so much of the year- that position was by committee. Defensively they need to get a pass rush- as you said, the NSIC was a passing conference.

Comment

As I was browsing the other day I noticed NSU has the 2022 roster on the website. Obviously this does not include any incoming freshman and there will be more transfers coming, but it does give you an idea of who left from the 2021 team. Here is my summary of what is gone (this may not be comprehensive, but it is what is shows as of today).

QB - Trautman graduated and is gone. Interestingly, Bonds is still listed on the roster so he must have one more year. I would expect NSU to be heavily involved in the transfer portal looking for some additional competition.

RB - The Swiss army Barnes is gone. I expect Brenton to get more carries next year. Cherrier is still on the team as well. Wyatt Block got a little more involved as the season wore on so he will be in the mix for carries as well. I would also expect some of the younger guys to get a look too.

WR - The big loss is Dakota Larson transferring. Kepouros also finally ended his long collegiate career. The huge positive is that Ingram is still on the team. If Schmidt can hang on to him for next season that would be great. Noland and Lux also return so the Wolves have the start of a strong receiving corp again next year. I would expect some young guys or a transfer to also get a look.

OL - OOF! This is where Coach Schmidt has some work to do this off-season. 4 of the 6 guys that played are gone, including both rock solid Tackles to transfers. NSU has brought in quite a few guys over the past few years so there are a lot of OL on the roster, just not much experience.

DL - NSU will need to bring in some big bodies on this side of the ball too. It looks like a few of the big DT that NSU had last year are gone, including promising freshman Koffi Gbekli. There are a couple other DL gone as well and this was an area that the Wolves already needed to improve before the early departures.

LB - Probably NSU's second strongest unit behind WR...as long as Nate Robinson returns. The Wolves do lose Chase Teiken which will provide a hole to fill, but with Robinson, Brandon Kutterer, and Trey King (Gabe's little brother) all back this is the start of a strong unit as well.

DB - This unit (which struggled last year) has some holes to fill as well. Olson, Hunter, and Lucas are all gone leaving some starting spots up for grabs. Bohnenkamp is still on the roster for what must be about his 7th season in Aberdeen. One incoming transfer that I did see already was Felipe Alvear, a Safety from Oklahoma Baptist. I realize it was a highlight video, but I feel pretty confident that he will be a playmaker for the Wolves D this upcoming season.

Comment

Northern has their QB in getting a commitment from Anthony Vespo out of MoWest

Comment

Does anyone know if there is a list of transfer portal list somewhere for D2 football players? I found one for basketball and d1 football but not D2. I'm curious to see if and how many WSU players are looking to go elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post
            Does anyone know if there is a list of transfer portal list somewhere for D2 football players? I found one for basketball and d1 football but not D2. I'm curious to see if and how many WSU players are looking to go elsewhere.
            I follow a twitter account that does a good job tracking them, but I'm sure many get missed. That's about all I got.

Comment

I forgot to mention that NSU will also be looking for a replacement at TE. It wasn't a position that was used very much this season, but both guys that played most there are gone as well.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post
                Haven't seen anything useful out there to track this....no.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                  The league will be losing some of the top signal callers but will still have a fair amount of them returning. The NSIC became very much a passing league in 2021..and secondary's couldn't slow them down much.
                  How much of the league trending toward the pass had to do with the secondaries for most teams being brutal? As exposed in the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                    So....how do you feel your squad will look come the fall and what changes do you see coming..or needed..
                    Your guess is as good as mine.

Something that will be interesting to monitor. SMSU hasn't had a defensive-minded HC in over two decades. Heard on KMHL's Saturday Morning Mustang program that Underwood likes to build his defense from the back forward, which resonated with interim AD Bruce Saugstad. Saugstad was a DB in the 1980s here.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I follow a twitter account that does a good job tracking them, but I'm sure many get missed. That's about all I got.
                      Please share that twitter account with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                        As I was browsing the other day I noticed NSU has the 2022 roster on the website. Obviously this does not include any incoming freshman and there will be more transfers coming, but it does give you an idea of who left from the 2021 team. Here is my summary of what is gone (this may not be comprehensive, but it is what is shows as of today).

QB - Trautman graduated and is gone. Interestingly, Bonds is still listed on the roster so he must have one more year. I would expect NSU to be heavily involved in the transfer portal looking for some additional competition.

RB - The Swiss army Barnes is gone. I expect Brenton to get more carries next year. Cherrier is still on the team as well. Wyatt Block got a little more involved as the season wore on so he will be in the mix for carries as well. I would also expect some of the younger guys to get a look too.

WR - The big loss is Dakota Larson transferring. Kepouros also finally ended his long collegiate career. The huge positive is that Ingram is still on the team. If Schmidt can hang on to him for next season that would be great. Noland and Lux also return so the Wolves have the start of a strong receiving corp again next year. I would expect some young guys or a transfer to also get a look.

OL - OOF! This is where Coach Schmidt has some work to do this off-season. 4 of the 6 guys that played are gone, including both rock solid Tackles to transfers. NSU has brought in quite a few guys over the past few years so there are a lot of OL on the roster, just not much experience.

DL - NSU will need to bring in some big bodies on this side of the ball too. It looks like a few of the big DT that NSU had last year are gone, including promising freshman Koffi Gbekli. There are a couple other DL gone as well and this was an area that the Wolves already needed to improve before the early departures.

LB - Probably NSU's second strongest unit behind WR...as long as Nate Robinson returns. The Wolves do lose Chase Teiken which will provide a hole to fill, but with Robinson, Brandon Kutterer, and Trey King (Gabe's little brother) all back this is the start of a strong unit as well.

DB - This unit (which struggled last year) has some holes to fill as well. Olson, Hunter, and Lucas are all gone leaving some starting spots up for grabs. Bohnenkamp is still on the roster for what must be about his 7th season in Aberdeen. One incoming transfer that I did see already was Felipe Alvear, a Safety from Oklahoma Baptist. I realize it was a highlight video, but I feel pretty confident that he will be a playmaker for the Wolves D this upcoming season.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                          I forgot to mention that NSU will also be looking for a replacement at TE. It wasn't a position that was used very much this season, but both guys that played most there are gone as well.

Comment

For Winona folks....here is Bergy speaking in a group setting from yesterday....I'm guessing the meet and greet they had lined up..

https://twitter.com/WinonaStateATH/s...707674630?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Please share that twitter account with us.
                              Will do. Odds are many of you already follow him - I'm not trying to be secretive, I can't remember the account name off the top of my head.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X