Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    What should our barometer for success be as a program? Both for Underwood and future staffs.

Just looked at all-time coaching numbers: only Gary Buer (.503) and Ron Flowers (.437) have a win percentage over .400. Was surprised to see Sauter (.369) won less than Eidsness (.393), but that probably has to do with a tougher Northern Sun over the last decade and it especially tanked the past two seasons.
    That's a tough question.

This will ruffle feathers - but I'll be happy at 4-7 this year. I think it's doable. That being said, given Underwood's history/ability, 5-7 wins should be the standard in short order. I mean, he's the first head coach we've ever had in program history with experience beating Mankato. There's more that goes into it than just simply the guy at the HC position, but it's a start.

One point on Eidsness - he only had one winning season in his time.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

That's a tough question.

This will ruffle feathers - but I'll be happy at 4-7 this year. I think it's doable. That being said, given Underwood's history/ability, 5-7 wins should be the standard in short order. I mean, he's the first head coach we've ever had in program history with experience beating Mankato. There's more that goes into it than just simply the guy at the HC position, but it's a start.

One point on Eidsness - he only had one winning season in his time.
      How many winning seasons has SMSU had since they moved to D2? Three???

Comment

• 4-7 in 2022 would be good 5 or more wins would be great season

long term - winning 6 -7 each year IF the administration fixes the money issues

Comment

• The UMD game is a measuring stick -- we lose 50-7 that means there is lots of work to do. if we lose 42-21 that means there is some positives and some hope. Win 24-21 -- well I am gonna drink a lot over the 3 day weekend (I might anyway).

I am excited to see Justus McComb. I have been very high on him from Day 1 even in the redshirt year. I think if Cory had a replay he would have played him as a true freshman and took his chances.

it will all depend on the line. UMD is SOOOOOO good on both lines even if we struggle it ain't panic time. I think they have like 18 returning strates and like 8 returning starters on the 2 lines so it will be a big challenge. regardless,even if we lose big it doesn't mean we can't win 4-5 games.

very excited. Might have 2 cigars during the game if the weather is good.

Comment

• Originally posted by oldyellaHer69 View Post

How many winning seasons has SMSU had since they moved to D2? Three???
            I don't remember specifically when we went D2 off the top of my head, but that does sound correct. Eidsness had one, Sauter had two. The last one previous was in 1999.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
              The UMD game is a measuring stick -- we lose 50-7 that means there is lots of work to do. if we lose 42-21 that means there is some positives and some hope. Win 24-21 -- well I am gonna drink a lot over the 3 day weekend (I might anyway).

I am excited to see Justus McComb. I have been very high on him from Day 1 even in the redshirt year. I think if Cory had a replay he would have played him as a true freshman and took his chances.

it will all depend on the line. UMD is SOOOOOO good on both lines even if we struggle it ain't panic time. I think they have like 18 returning strates and like 8 returning starters on the 2 lines so it will be a big challenge. regardless,even if we lose big it doesn't mean we can't win 4-5 games.

very excited. Might have 2 cigars during the game if the weather is good.
              Agreed on all points. My expectation is to be competitive for week one. If we can hang with UMD, I'll let the loss slide this time. My expectations will change quickly though, the next four games are all winnable and we need to take full advantage of that stretch.

McComb is an interesting one. I'm not sure how we managed to snag him, in the middle of COVID no less - and away from an FCS team that offered him first, but here we are. The curious thing is he had interest from Columbia and Cornell too, so he must be a great student. Whatever the case, I'm excited to see him suit up. Was not happy with the QB situation last year.

I'm not quite as doom-and-gloom as I thought I'd be about this season. I don't think we're going to beat Augustana and Mankato, but maybe we can start putting the puzzle together.

Comment

I don't remember specifically when we went D2 off the top of my head, but that does sound correct. Eidsness had one, Sauter had two. The last one previous was in 1999.
                We were D2 in 1999, so 4 for sure. The switch was right after the early 90s playoff runs I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

We were D2 in 1999, so 4 for sure. The switch was right after the early 90s playoff runs I think.
                  first D2 season was Fall 1995.

The Northern Sun moved to D2 in 1992 or 93. There was a transition period. I know because I was a staudent athlete at the time and I was the male Student athlete on the Transition committee / task force whatever you want to call. It has administration and coaches and professors and a couple student athletes.

We studied it then made the move.

Became posteseason eligible in 1995-96 academic year.
                  Last edited by MrMustang; 08-31-2022, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• I only count 6 winning seasons prior, so that's neat. Maybe the new boss will turn it around a bit.

Comment

first D2 season was Fall 1995.

The Northern Sun moved to D2 in 1992 or 93. There was a transition period. I know because I was a staudent athlete at the time and I was the male Student athlete on the Transition committee / task force whatever you want to call. It has administration and coaches and professors and a couple student athletes.

We studied it then made the move.

Became posteseason eligible in 1995-96 academic year.
                      Thanks, that transition always messes me up.

Comment

• Much to be pleased about in that first game. Way more discipline, way fewer penalties, way fewe bonehead plays than 2021.

QB will be good.

Sherwood had a great game. Jesse is really good.

Oline looked much improved. Dline is undersized, so we are going to have to find a way to get some pressure. we had very little all night and may need to get creative. Special teams were fine, better.

Tackling was simply atrocious, especially in the first half, but in the postgame coached talked about very little practice on that since we are so thin and simply can't afford to lose kids to injuries in practice. Seems like a reasonable explanation to me. Man, so many missed tackles, but that should improve.

they played hard. yes a loss, but man hard to complain about being tied after 3 on the road.

Comment

Much to be pleased about in that first game. Way more discipline, way fewer penalties, way fewe bonehead plays than 2021.

QB will be good.

Sherwood had a great game. Jesse is really good.

Oline looked much improved. Dline is undersized, so we are going to have to find a way to get some pressure. we had very little all night and may need to get creative. Special teams were fine, better.

Tackling was simply atrocious, especially in the first half, but in the postgame coached talked about very little practice on that since we are so thin and simply can't afford to lose kids to injuries in practice. Seems like a reasonable explanation to me. Man, so many missed tackles, but that should improve.

they played hard. yes a loss, but man hard to complain about being tied after 3 on the road.
                          We were competitive in our first game against an RV opponent, with a new coach, and a freshman QB. The Mustangs met my expectations for week 1 - though my expectations for the next 4 weeks are wins.

We made all of our PATs - which was satisfying. That's been a sore spot for me the last few years.

Defense does need work, but they seemed to get a lot of third down stops, and were on top of that fumble at the 18 - that made me happy. Then the offense took that opportunity to the end zone, which really made me happy. Too often we get catch a break and don't take advantage.

Jesse Sherwood is my guy - 54 yards to the end zone didn't surprise me one bit. I hope he stays healthy and we let him run wild.

What do we think of McComb's game 1? I think his stats leave a little to be desired, but he did have a 32 yard pass and a 10 yard rushing TD. Obviously more that goes into QB stats than the individual (O-Line, receivers, opposing defense ETC). EDIT: Just saw your comment on McComb. I feel the same way.

Excited for week 2.

Comment

• On Augustana's half-time show, Vik's longtime broadcaster Jeff Fylling and colors man/ HOF quarterback John Schultz spoke at length about Scott Underwood who were both at AU during Scott's playing and coaching career. They both had high praise for Scott's coaching ability and moral compass, plus his recruiting prowess in Wisconsin. They also pointed out OC Doug Patterson for his recruiting skill in the TC and the rest of MN. They pointed out western MN. produces plenty of talent. Both men said Underwood's teams will play D and run the ball well and believe that you can win at SMSU. You may not remember this before current Augie coach Jerry Olszewski was hired, they tried to lure Scott away from SCSU with no avail.

Comment

• I knew he was having an impact when I compared team conduct from the last game of the season with the spring game. Obviously an apples-to-oranges situation, but the team was in-tune and tight, not sloppy like I saw in Sioux Falls. Saw the same thing at the booster club practice. Things like that matter to me personally.

Seems to have an impact. Maybe we were overlooked, but I also think it's important to acknowledge we didn't brush our opponent off as a guaranteed loss either.

Comment

We were competitive in our first game against an RV opponent, with a new coach, and a freshman QB. The Mustangs met my expectations for week 1 - though my expectations for the next 4 weeks are wins.

We made all of our PATs - which was satisfying. That's been a sore spot for me the last few years.

Defense does need work, but they seemed to get a lot of third down stops, and were on top of that fumble at the 18 - that made me happy. Then the offense took that opportunity to the end zone, which really made me happy. Too often we get catch a break and don't take advantage.

Jesse Sherwood is my guy - 54 yards to the end zone didn't surprise me one bit. I hope he stays healthy and we let him run wild.

What do we think of McComb's game 1? I think his stats leave a little to be desired, but he did have a 32 yard pass and a 10 yard rushing TD. Obviously more that goes into QB stats than the individual (O-Line, receivers, opposing defense ETC). EDIT: Just saw your comment on McComb. I feel the same way.

Excited for week 2.

The Dline is undersized and will struggle often. reality. I thought they battled and played hard. There will be games we just can't stop the run, but they did ok vs Duluth/

McComb did ok for a freshman in a great league against a good team. It is a huge jump to D2 from high school. everything moves way way way faster.

Sherwood is a GREAT back. He deserves to mentioned with Tonderum as far as skills. He is the 2nd best back in the last decade after Tyler Tonderum.

OLine looks better. They did some good things.

If the DBs can make some of those picks we could be pretty good. There is a chance there.

I was pleased to hear Underwood be happy about effort and at the same time say we need to win. He can coach

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X