• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

Year 1 - 1-10
    Year 2 - 2-9
    Year 3 -Covid Year
    Year 4- 4-7

I guess that raises the question what is considered good? As Witt said in his Pre Season Preview, Defence has not improved enough but I expect better play calling for Kittner and Smalls, left a lot on the table 1st couple of games. Hoping we can get in the win column Saturday. Underwood has really got you guys playing hard.
    I've watched a fair portion of both of their games and while Nelson has missed Kittner a few times for big gains, it would seem he's getting heavy pressure from the defense plenty this season. They also don't have Little on the other side anymore. I think their D has improved a little..and they had their chances in both of those games....but I'm just not sure if they play other of those teams 10x that they can be expected to win 5.

Underwood has the team playing hard for sure..but I'm doubting that's going to be enough a team who's got more offensive weapons than the Mustangs....but I'll be here to say I'm wrong if that happens. Love what the new staff at SMSU has done with this squad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post

To piggyback on this, I think you have to look at the losses that Mary did have last year. Sure, they only won 4 games but they were competitive in many others. And they were extremely entertaining. If you look back at recent seasons, how many noncompetitive games did they have? I don't know that Mary can ever get to the point of regularly contending for conference championships, but being competitive is the first step.
      Big picture thinking I think you are both right (Thunder and Stanger), these close loses are just getting frustrating especially when they are 1 or 2 plays a way. Its the nature of the beast, to Stangers point I am hoping for improvement from last year. Only time will tell. I think Bagnell has done some great things, but the Myron Schultz 2009-2013 era is what I am looking for. I know Bagnell had to really improve recruiting from the guy after Schultz lets hope Witts 5-6 prediction comes to fruition.

Comment

Year 1 - 1-10
        Year 2 - 2-9
        Year 3 -Covid Year
        Year 4- 4-7

I guess that raises the question what is considered good? As Witt said in his Pre Season Preview, Defence has not improved enough but I expect better play calling for Kittner and Smalls, left a lot on the table 1st couple of games. Hoping we can get in the win column Saturday. Underwood has really got you guys playing hard.
        seems to me they made a step forward last year.

the cupboard was bare those first 2 years. and Covid - who knows.

seems like he has it in the right direction. curious to see us against a passing team

Comment

Big picture thinking I think you are both right (Thunder and Stanger), these close loses are just getting frustrating especially when they are 1 or 2 plays a way. Its the nature of the beast, to Stangers point I am hoping for improvement from last year. Only time will tell. I think Bagnell has done some great things, but the Myron Schultz 2009-2013 era is what I am looking for. I know Bagnell had to really improve recruiting from the guy after Schultz lets hope Witts 5-6 prediction comes to fruition.
          So essentially you're looking for a continuation of what they did last year, got it. Largely, in that era they were .500 in the North, which they did last season as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

seems to me they made a step forward last year.

the cupboard was bare those first 2 years. and Covid - who knows.

seems like he has it in the right direction. curious to see us against a passing team
            Yes, that will be an interesting matchup. I was a little surprised to see their vaunted passing attack has only one TD though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
              Love what the new staff at SMSU has done with this squad.
              This was one of biggest things that stood out to me through two weeks and wanted to piggy back this. Thought the Underwood hire was a homerun for SMSU. Looks like it's paying off even sooner even if the hill is still a tough climb from where y'all started and your admin. Selfishly, as a Coo fan can't say I "love" what they've done as it only makes the South tougher going forward but am happy for Mustang fans.
              4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
              2016 NSIC Champions
              🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

• Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

This was one of biggest things that stood out to me through two weeks and wanted to piggy back this. Thought the Underwood hire was a homerun for SMSU. Looks like it's paying off even sooner even if the hill is still a tough climb from where y'all started and your admin. Selfishly, as a Coo fan can't say I "love" what they've done as it only makes the South tougher going forward but am happy for Mustang fans.
                The experience of the Underwood/Flowers combo is impressive and something I don't believe we've ever had before - I think the next few years should be interesting, especially for football.

I'm glad we hired outside this time, I knew that would be the right move.

Comment

• Stangs win again.

Looks like the defense let up a bit late... should have been a bigger margin, but a win is a win. Seems like the passing situation got a little better. Couple of INTs too.

Comment

• At this point, anything worse than 4-1 after Homecoming would be a disappointment to me. I know that felt weird to type, but with games upcoming against 0-3 Minot and 0-3 Upper Iowa, those should be wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

but I'll be happy at 4-7 this year.
                      Huh.

Don't want to toot the horn too soon, but I may have called it - and/or underestimated.

Comment

• I love football statistics - here's some crazy stats about Jesse Sherwood:

If he continues his current average yards per game pace, he'll:

-Finish his SMSU career ranked second in most yards in a single season
                        -Finish his SMSU career ranked first all-time in most rush yards

He's also on pace to break the record for most consecutive 100-yard games. He has three, the current streak is 5.

If he continues his average of two rushing TDs/game, he'll earn the single season SMSU rushing TD record.

Also, I believe Tyler Tonderum still holds the record for most rush yards in a season for the conference - however I don't believe that number includes the 166 yards he earned at the MWB. If this is the case, Sherwood would win the NSIC single season rushing record as well.

While I think it would be hard to maintain this production through the next 8 games, he truly is a special player - very happy he chose SMSU.

EDIT: As of 9/17, he's also #2 nationally in rushing yards for D2, and #3 for all divisions.
                        Last edited by SW_Mustang; 09-19-2022, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• Another sign of Underwood influence at SMSU -

Last year through three games, SMSU allowed 108 points. This year, we've allowed 65 points. That 43-pt differential speaks volumes to me, personally.

While I would like to see us improve this number a bit going forward, can't deny that it's been a huge difference on defense.

We also increased our offensive output during the same time, only by 9 points - but that's still improvement.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                            Another sign of Underwood influence at SMSU -

Last year through three games, SMSU allowed 108 points. This year, we've allowed 65 points. That 43-pt differential speaks volumes to me, personally.

While I would like to see us improve this number a bit going forward, can't deny that it's been a huge difference on defense.

We also increased our offensive output during the same time, only by 9 points - but that's still improvement.
                            The biggest reason our defensive improvement is so critical is that it allows Patterson to keep feeding Sherwood the rock on offense. If we get too far behind in games, we'll have to start relying more on the passing game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

The biggest reason our defensive improvement is so critical is that it allows Patterson to keep feeding Sherwood the rock on offense. If we get too far behind in games, we'll have to start relying more on the passing game.
                              Congrats on a nice win and a great start to the season. No words, Mary's offence has an imbalanced attack. Defence can never make any plays and its not looking like last years momentum will ever carry into this year. 2 wins look inevitable at this point. Really disappointing. Really great to see you guys do well. Enjoy it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

That's a bit scary - passing has improved ever so slightly from week 1, but I'm not confident (nor do I expect anyone else is) that our current arrangement can win games, especially if the defense goes under.

I'm still not throwing the towel in on anyone (especially our QB). Fortunately, our defense does seem to be standing strong for the moment. Will be interesting to see what happens in the second half of the season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X