Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had some strong points today but couldn't sustain it through 4 quarters. Still a huge improvement over last year's matchup - hopefully we can build on it.

Comment

• Should be noted that Onte Burns broke the conference tackles record this afternoon as well, and has one game left to set the new record.

Comment

• Lots of fight in the squad against very good Mankato team.

So many little things.

1. Bad start to give Kato a TD right away.
        2. Then long pass down 14-0
        3. Didn't give up ! actually ahead 17-14 - crazy
        4. But then --- bad TD given up at end of half --- no time left
        5. 99 yard drive given up - ridiculous
        6. then blocked punt - like 4 this year -- how can we keep doing that ?
        7. then another bad snap for 25 yard loss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is like 6 or 7 straight games - crazy that keeps happening.

regardless much to be pleased about

Marcus Martin has a good arm and pretty good pocket presence for a freshman. lots to be happy about

we will beat Augie !

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
          Lots of fight in the squad against very good Mankato team.

So many little things.

1. Bad start to give Kato a TD right away.
          2. Then long pass down 14-0
          3. Didn't give up ! actually ahead 17-14 - crazy
          4. But then --- bad TD given up at end of half --- no time left
          5. 99 yard drive given up - ridiculous
          6. then blocked punt - like 4 this year -- how can we keep doing that ?
          7. then another bad snap for 25 yard loss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is like 6 or 7 straight games - crazy that keeps happening.

regardless much to be pleased about

Marcus Martin has a good arm and pretty good pocket presence for a freshman. lots to be happy about

we will beat Augie !
          It seems to me like the pieces are there somewhere. We just have to get them to fit together. It's been an odd season, but much to like.

That INT we had was cool. Lots of production through the air.

I won't count them out against Augie. If we tighten up on defense, it's possible.

Comment

• I love the fact that we had a lead on Saturday....wasn't expecting that from the box score.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
              I love the fact that we had a lead on Saturday....wasn't expecting that from the box score.
              I'm not sure if other Mustang fans will agree, but a couple of those key drives around that point in the game felt to me like flashes of the dominate squad we've all been waiting for. Martin and Osman really commanded the entire field during this time. We'd get a dumb 10-yard penalty, then they'd find each other for like15 yards. It's been a while since I've seen anything like that personally.

If that's the team we're capable of being, then there's much to be excited about.

I also need to highlight that punt towards the end of the 3rd I believe it was - beautiful chip shot to the sideline and downed at the one. One the best punts I've ever seen.

Comment

• What I'm curious about right now is the dynamic between McComb and Martin. Should there be an open competition going into next season? Could one of them look to transfer?

Comment

What I'm curious about right now is the dynamic between McComb and Martin. Should there be an open competition going into next season? Could one of them look to transfer?
                  both look good as freshmen.

No need to transfer. they will make each other better.

most teams need 2 good qbs. They get hurt and both would play. Look at the league and all the qbs who get hurt it happens.

hope they both return

Comment

What I'm curious about right now is the dynamic between McComb and Martin. Should there be an open competition going into next season? Could one of them look to transfer?
                    I'd like to see some competition, and I'd like to see both stay - but I'd be expecting a transfer.

Both are from California so they have no local ties, and I doubt many from the SW would like to sit on the bench in the Midwest cold watching someone else play. That's just my opinion though, and hopefully it's wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I'd like to see some competition, and I'd like to see both stay - but I'd be expecting a transfer.

Both are from California so they have no local ties, and I doubt many from the SW would like to sit on the bench in the Midwest cold watching someone else play. That's just my opinion though, and hopefully it's wrong.
                      So you just assume they both don't think they will start? Why would they leave if they think they are going to start? You think the coaches will make that decision this December? I would think both of them are confident in their abilities to be the starter

Comment

So you just assume they both don't think they will start? Why would they leave if they think they are going to start? You think the coaches will make that decision this December? I would think both of them are confident in their abilities to be the starter
                        Sometimes they transfer after hearing they are not the starter in July/August. Maybe not as much in D2, but certainly happens a lot at the D1 level.

Comment

We'll see what happens in the spring. I think there will be a good feel for where both stand. Don't rule out the fact too that Martin was Underwood's recruit while McComb is a Sauter holdover. That can also affect mindsets of players.

Comment

(1) So you just assume they both don't think they will start? (2) Why would they leave if they think they are going to start? (3) You think the coaches will make that decision this December? (4)I would think both of them are confident in their abilities to be the starter
                            1. No, quite the opposite. I think they might both be capable of being a starter. Hence why I think one would transfer - so he can be the starter elsewhere.

2. If they both think they can start, why would one stay and ride the bench? It's highly unlikely we run a two QB system.

3. Probably not, but with the transfer portal - guys can leave at virtually any point.

4. Hence why I think the other will transfer.

To clarify, I don't want either to leave, but the reality of the situation presents itself to me as being a likely possibility that one does.
                            Last edited by SW_Mustang; 11-12-2022, 02:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Sometimes they transfer after hearing they are not the starter in July/August. Maybe not as much in D2, but certainly happens a lot at the D1 level.
                              Being that both of these guys are from California, Marshall winters are going to be a tough sell compared to playing in the CCCAA, especially for a backup role. I would like to see both of them stay, but I just don't see it as likely. The last time we had a big time QB recruit he did settle in as a backup before moving to a different position - but he was from Andover.

I can say with certainty that McComb is the only person in history to pass up Princeton and Columbia for SMSU, athletically and/or academically. I don't know him personally, but that tells me he wants something pretty specific out of his SMSU experience.

Comment

• Well, that was a fun season. I'm hoping we can build on this going forward. We won twice as many games as we were supposed too, and were competitive in several others.

I think at 4-7, we can say this season was a success in some regard.

I think it's a longshot, but both Onte Burns and Jesse Sherwood have expressed interest in playing on - so I wish them both the best in their endeavors.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X