Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I don't remember who it was, but we had one guy on defense who really enjoyed talking trash to Augie late in the 4th Qtr last season. The Vikings weren't having it, obviously. Neither were the fans. Refs hit him with a couple penalties. It was a really bad look.

Your post made me remember that. Would not be sad if said player was gone.
    He's gone. One of those by attrition

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

All things considered, I think the change of regime and style made it fairly predictable to see some turnover..especially in our new times of the grass is greener in a different yard. I'm going to assume Coach Underwood and company are trying to change the culture of the program as well and some people just don't go for that. I wouldn't worry about it..and I think Underwood will have some heavy lifting to do at the start given the roster challenges to begin with.
      I think addition by substraction. surey some tough go at it but long term will be good

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

All things considered, I think the change of regime and style made it fairly predictable to see some turnover..especially in our new times of the grass is greener in a different yard. I'm going to assume Coach Underwood and company are trying to change the culture of the program as well and some people just don't go for that. I wouldn't worry about it..and I think Underwood will have some heavy lifting to do at the start given the roster challenges to begin with.
        The SMSU administration put Cory in a bad spot with Covid. I'll just leave it at that. We have had poor leadership from the very top the last several years.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

He's gone. One of those by attrition
          For the best. Acting that way down 55-0 in the fourth in the last game of a terrible season is a true show of character. Definitely an individual in a team setting.

I remember him jawing with the Vikings after one play, Augie was not having it. Cory trying to tell him to just finish the game. It was such a bad look for the program, even if no one really noticed it (which I know was not the case). Fans were on the guy all day.

Comment

I think addition by substraction. surey some tough go at it but long term will be good
            IMO, Sauter has a pretty passive coaching style. Looking at the rosters from 2013-2016, I can see why that worked well. Lot of our top players were very quiet, reserved guys too. Probably responded well to it. Underwood at the spring game ran things like a drill sergeant. Honestly, I think we need someone with that level of abrasiveness right now. Get the guys focused and those who refuse can find a different team. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Not a knock against Cory, things are just different now (obviously).

Ultimately, I don't want someone on the team who doesn't want to be on the team, regardless of how good they are.

Comment

Bold move: We offered a freshman Texas QB who since December has gotten offers from Missouri, Texas Tech, Colorado, SMU, TCU, BC, Memphis, NCSU, Oklahoma State and Arkansas. I'm a little surprised he even publicized our offer on social media.

Comment

Comment

The SMSU administration put Cory in a bad spot with Covid. I'll just leave it at that. We have had poor leadership from the very top the last several years.
                  exactly
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	L&H.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	672259

Comment

Talk about a "what could have been" moment....

I was looking through old papers yesterday when I saw that after Gary Buer moved on after the 1992 season, the other finalist who didn't get the job was Nebraska Wesleyan coach Jim Svoboda. Have also heard since that a non-finalist applicant was Austin College (Tex.) coach Mel Tjeerdsma.

Comment

Comment

COVID definitely didn't help, but IMO the wheels had fallen off by that point. Then again, if you were around for 2013-2016, you might have seen it differently too.

To answer your question, yes - objectively, Sauter was better than the previous guy, as well as the three guys before that guy. Gary Buer is the only one that I would say is better. It's SMSU football, we don't exactly have a track record of success.

What I don't understand is the vitriol towards the current administration, but then again Marshall isn't exactly known for being a bastion of educational progression - which I think has a lot to do with it. Current pres. halted a big enrollment slide and was the most effective in Minnesota State working on the least amount of money, during a pandemic no less, but not winning 3 extra football games a year that generate exactly zero revenue - that's the real problem.

I'm excited for the switch. I like Cory and hope he can find another job with a program that's a better fit, but I'm ready to see what Underwood can do with this program. Fortunately, he's not dealing with the dumpster fire that is SCSU - so maybe we might get somewhere.

Comment

Got a commitment last week from a kid who was a walk-on QB at Northwestern.

Comment

Originally posted by oldyellaHer69 View Post

exactly
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	L&H.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	672259
                            yep

Comment

It would take a long drawn out message to address all the bad things the administration has done. I don't have time and much has been posted here over the last decade. I am not saying Cory was without his shortcomings, no different than any of us, me incuded, but COVID was a disaster for the MnSCU system - StarTribune ran a huge story on the declining enrollments everywhere - with a couple of exceptions (SMSU included where enrollment is up). That and them making him recruit kids to build enrollment that weren't D2 level or weren't prepared to be here acadmeically is on administration not Cory.

I am only saying that the program was screwed by COVID - I get the change, but he wasn't and isn't our biggest problem

Comment

That and them making him recruit kids to build enrollment that weren't D2 level or weren't prepared to be here acadmeically is on administration not Cory.
                                My only pushback: Building enrollment yes, but at the end of the day I feel it's still on the coaches to choose who to recruit. I doubt he was given a quota of X kids from each state.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X