Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway, now that we all aired our grievances - some non-football SMSU news:

John Bezdicek got the win for KSU in the ASUN conference final, sending them to the CWS regionals. He started game one against LSU.

I think I mentioned it before but he grad-transfered to KSU from SMSU. Definitely a true Mustang, and I'm very excited for him.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Huh? SMSU has never been that high in attendance. I was there for much of 2013-2016, and only once did we actually fill Matke to capacity. We don't need to be #1 or #2, but a core attendance group of 2k-3k would be nice. Peak fairweather fandom.

Buying a cheap t-shirt at a grocery store is exactly how I'd like to represent my alma mater at work or a social function. Would be nice to buy it online instead of having to drive there, too.

Being offended over a name change for an event that wasn't ours in the first place is almost peak-Marshall. I wish they'd get offended over something useful like all those tax hikes the city loves so much. Something useful, y'know?

The constituency running the show would definitely be hilarious, kinda like when we tried it with the AD position this last year. Much like how that went, I'd rather not see the same thing happen to the whole college.

I love SMSU, it's about the only reason I still go back to SWMN. I'm just tired of being the laughing stock of MN higher ed, living in SDSU's shadow, and wondering if we're going to survive the next decade while nobody does anything to fix it but complain.

An average of over 3200 in a town of 13,000 is 25%, that means Mankato attendance was over 10K and Duluth over 20K, I don't think that is/was the case. Thats unbelievable support from the community and surpassed your core attendance goal of 2k-3k. Get yourself a nice polo to wear to work or social function so you can represent your alma mater from this website https://smsu.spirit.bncollege.com/?u...edium=referral
      Otherwise join the booster club so you don't have to get a cheap t-shirt from the grocery store https://www.smsualumni.com/boosterclub2021

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	673326

Comment

Originally posted by oldyellaHer69 View Post

An average of over 3200 in a town of 13,000 is 25%, that means Mankato attendance was over 10K and Duluth over 20K, I don't think that is/was the case. Thats unbelievable support from the community and surpassed your core attendance goal of 2k-3k. Get yourself a nice polo to wear to work or social function so you can represent your alma mater from this website https://smsu.spirit.bncollege.com/?u...edium=referral
        Otherwise join the booster club so you don't have to get a cheap t-shirt from the grocery store https://www.smsualumni.com/boosterclub2021

Click image for larger version  Name:	2015.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	673326
        Neat. So based on per capita statistics, we still fall behind Wayne/Upper Iowa. Still not #1 or #2. I wonder how CSP might feel about being dead last. Doesn't account for away fans or support from surrounding communities. Quite the subjective way to analyze it, and useless at the D2 level.

I also liked how we picked 2015, with MSUM. Yes, I was there. That never happened before and will never happen again. Try 2014 now, Augustana drew 450 fans. I was one of them. Saw CJ Ham rush once for 7 yards that day. Drove through a blizzard to be there and the townsfolk couldn't drive two blocks. 2016 against Duluth and couldn't even fill the grandstand for the most important game in school history. People in Marshall care when it's convenient.

Last time I checked the book store's website, they barely had anything for sale. Must not be moving much product these days. Then again, the locals can't seem to decide whether or not they support the team, so maybe they bought everything to hang onto for once the team is good again. Who knows with that town.
        Last edited by SW_Mustang; 06-04-2022, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Neat. So based on per capita statistics, we still fall behind Wayne/Upper Iowa. Still not #1 or #2. I wonder how CSP might feel about being dead last. Doesn't account for away fans or support from surrounding communities. Quite the subjective way to analyze it, and useless at the D2 level.

I also liked how we picked 2015, with MSUM. Yes, I was there. That never happened before and will never happen again. Try 2014 now, Augustana drew 450 fans. I was one of them. Saw CJ Ham rush once for 7 yards that day. Drove through a blizzard to be there and the townsfolk couldn't drive two blocks. 2016 against Duluth and couldn't even fill the grandstand for the most important game in school history. People in Marshall care when it's convenient.

Last time I checked the book store's website, they barely had anything for sale. Must not be moving much product these days. Then again, the locals can't seem to decide whether or not they support the team, so maybe they bought everything to hang onto for once the team is good again. Who knows with that town.
          Wayne finished #3 behind SMSU at 22%. Attendance records indicate their was 943 people at the Augustana game 11/15/2014, kudos to you braving the weather that day. A crowd of 2912 attended the UMD game 9/1/16 to see the first win against a ranked team in school history.

Name:	WSC.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	673357

Comment

Wayne finished #3 behind SMSU at 22%. Attendance records indicate their was 943 people at the Augustana game 11/15/2014, kudos to you braving the weather that day. A crowd of 2912 attended the UMD game 9/1/16 to see the first win against a ranked team in school history.

Name:	WSC.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	673357
            Ranking by per capita generally would give more weight to smaller towns, hence why I said Wayne. I believe they are somehow smaller than Marshall. Was only there once.

950, that's right. Seems high but it was the official record. Trey Heid and the Vikings ran fourth and longs against us all game. Was not a fun afternoon, but 2013 vs. Augie was a fresh memory at that point, I thought they might have a chance. The following week was the beginning of the Gimbel era though.

2900 vs. UMD was disappointing. I remember being there thinking what could possibly be going on in Marshall that was bigger than this. Jeopardy re-runs? Sale on toilet paper at Wal-Mart? Who knows. The MSUM game was HC, and both teams were 3-0. But this was UMD, at that time still very much a powerhouse - and the Mustangs were viewed as equals, not underdogs. Best game in school history, D2 era or otherwise.

Little did we know, it would be out last statement win. In the time since, the locals decided to stage a boycott against the admins by not supporting the athletes, apparently. Cancel culture at it's finest, smh.

Comment

Ranking by per capita generally would give more weight to smaller towns, hence why I said Wayne. I believe they are somehow smaller than Marshall. Was only there once.

950, that's right. Seems high but it was the official record. Trey Heid and the Vikings ran fourth and longs against us all game. Was not a fun afternoon, but 2013 vs. Augie was a fresh memory at that point, I thought they might have a chance. The following week was the beginning of the Gimbel era though.

2900 vs. UMD was disappointing. I remember being there thinking what could possibly be going on in Marshall that was bigger than this. Jeopardy re-runs? Sale on toilet paper at Wal-Mart? Who knows. The MSUM game was HC, and both teams were 3-0. But this was UMD, at that time still very much a powerhouse - and the Mustangs were viewed as equals, not underdogs. Best game in school history, D2 era or otherwise.

Little did we know, it would be out last statement win. In the time since, the locals decided to stage a boycott against the admins by not supporting the athletes, apparently. Cancel culture at it's finest, smh.

Mary fudges on it's attendance in a big way they generally get around 800 to 1200 a game. Nowhere near the 3700-4000 they report.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Mary fudges on it's attendance in a big way they generally get around 800 to 1200 a game. Nowhere near the 3700-4000 they report.
                Yeah, definitely don't see that as a possibility. No disrespect to the team, but I'd have thought around 1,000 myself at best, consistently speaking.

Comment

During the golden years of the Sauter era SMSU was routinely 1 or 2 in attendance in the NSIC, community support in Marshall is second to none, basketball and volleyball attendance has always been strong. Apparel is sold all over town, Borchs/Hy Vee/Walmart/Bookstore. The administration alienated most of the top boosters by empowering people on campus that don't really care about anybody besides themselves and eliminating community events like Hawaiian night https://www.marshallindependent.com/...awaiian-night/
                  SMSU administrators are not in it for the long haul and are out of touch with the constituents they should be representing.
                  well said and good synopsis.

For a long time SMSU attendance was great and top 2-3 in the whole country in volleyball and top 2-3 in the NSIC for over a decade straight,.

in the last 6 or 7 years they have done much to alienate people/

Comment

During the golden years of the Sauter era SMSU was routinely 1 or 2 in attendance in the NSIC, community support in Marshall is second to none, basketball and volleyball attendance has always been strong. Apparel is sold all over town, Borchs/Hy Vee/Walmart/Bookstore. The administration alienated most of the top boosters by empowering people on campus that don't really care about anybody besides themselves and eliminating community events like Hawaiian night https://www.marshallindependent.com/...awaiian-night/
                    SMSU administrators are not in it for the long haul and are out of touch with the constituents they should be representing.
                    The Hawaiian Night thing is a great example.

NO ONE was calling for this except for a FEW dozen sttudents and maybe a handful of faculty. Shoved the end of Hawiian Night through with ZERO Community and Booster, Athletes, and Alumni imput. ZERO. Just a bunch of woke BS to appease a bunch of people who don't attend or support athletics anyway.

And when called out, the President essentially said nothing he could do. Disaster. And to make it worse, they don't think people will stop giving and when they have they blame it on other things like Coivd,

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Almost none of those appeal to the average 18-22 year old. It may be a great place for 50+ people but college town it is not.
                      Fair point. But not much different than many other NSIC towns like Wayne, Fayette, and Bemidji. I have never said it is easy to recruit to marshall, sinply said it ain't the armpit of Minnesota

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Well,

People have limited money. People choose how to spend their discrentionary income. When a school thumbs their noses at you and says we don't care you are dissatisfied (for whatever reason), people tend to pull back giving or support.

I presonally know about a dozen people who probably cut their giving in half simply based on the administration actions (including Hawaiian Night) and changes to Alumni and Foundation leadership. These things don't happen in avaccum. People respond. It's their money and they are under no obligation to keep giving it when they express disappointment or disagreement and they are told to take a hike.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Well,

People have limited money. People choose how to spend their discrentionary income. When a school thumbs their noses at you and says we don't care you are dissatisfied (for whatever reason), people tend to pull back giving or support.

I presonally know about a dozen people who probably cut their giving in half simply based on the administration actions (including Hawaiian Night) and changes to Alumni and Foundation leadership. These things don't happen in avaccum. People respond. It's their money and they are under no obligation to keep giving it when they express disappointment or disagreement and they are told to take a hike.
                          Fair enough. It's their ball, they can take it home and cry to mommy because the name of the basketball game was changed. It's the way of society these days anyway. Cancel culture was practically invented in Marshall. Being that thin skinned over something so minuscule is lost on me, but then again - basketball isn't my thing anyway, so maybe I'm missing something there.

Hawaiian Night wasn't even ours anyway. Best we could ever come up with was the Ag Bowl - which... yuck. Would like us not to be a cow college, and that doesn't help. Such an embarrassment.

SMSU should serve the community by educating them and bringing them into modern society. I know that's a big task in SWMN, but it's not impossible. Their job is not to coddle he locals. First thing they'd do is axe the science department if they were in charge. Yikes.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Fair enough. It's their ball, they can take it home and cry to mommy because the name of the basketball game was changed. It's the way of society these days anyway. Cancel culture was practically invented in Marshall. Being that thin skinned over something so minuscule is lost on me, but then again - basketball isn't my thing anyway, so maybe I'm missing something there.

Hawaiian Night wasn't even ours anyway. Best we could ever come up with was the Ag Bowl - which... yuck. Would like us not to be a cow college, and that doesn't help. Such an embarrassment.

SMSU should serve the community by educating them and bringing them into modern society. I know that's a big task in SWMN, but it's not impossible. Their job is not to coddle he locals. First thing they'd do is axe the science department if they were in charge. Yikes.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Fair point. But not much different than many other NSIC towns like Wayne, Fayette, and Bemidji. I have never said it is easy to recruit to marshall, sinply said it ain't the armpit of Minnesota
                              Maybe closer to the elbow :)

Comment

• The entire situation is stupid. How does the name affect anyone, in either direction? Was the enjoyment of the game really hinged on the name? Were people this upset when the college changed names, twice? Is there nothing going on in Marshall more important than this? Well, I know the answer to the last one - there are several larger issues, but it's easier to be offended by this one.

I get pretty passionate about my alma mater. My roots with it run deeper than most people's do, and I don't want to see it choked out, because that's what this town seems intent on doing sometimes.

As for dissatisfied... can't please everyone. I knew launching one of my projects would ruffle feathers, but we did it and I don't regret it. I have a college to boost enrollment for, not "feelings" to tip toe around.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X