Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    This week's opponent, Minot State, enters the game 158th of 162 D2 teams in rushing defense.Sherwood should feast.
    I'm hoping he has a big game statistically. 250 yards and 2-3 TDs would be awesome, and not outside the realm of possibility.

Comment

This is a great point. It has seemed like our programs have been evenly matched most years. But it's worth pointing out that we usually come out on top in these close matches.

Since UIU joined the NSIC we are 13-2 against the Peas. The losses were by 11 and 12 points (both in Fayette ironically), while we've had two OT wins and 8 other wins by 7 or fewer points. We've only blown them out 3 times, in 2016 (59-41), 2015 (34-19) and 2009 (52-24).
      Always crazy games. and usually in the middle of the season when that game is huge for both teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

CSP over Minot? Odd.
        Witt was fairly high on Minot coming into the season. I don't see this as an easy game. We are gonna have to play well to win. Nothing is easy in the NSIC

Comment

This week's opponent, Minot State, enters the game 158th of 162 D2 teams in rushing defense.Sherwood should feast.
          interesting stat.

My guess is they load the box hoping to make us pass.

If we can run some play action, we might get some wide open receivers and a long td. Just my first random thought

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Witt was fairly high on Minot coming into the season. I don't see this as an easy game. We are gonna have to play well to win. Nothing is easy in the NSIC
            He would obviously know more than me, but with Crookston gone - I consider Minot as close to a freebie as there is on a yearly basis unless some drastic changes happened up there. It does pain me to say that as I think they should be a better program than they are, but it's just the reality.

That being said, the chance we lose is low - but not zero. We're not in a position to overlook any opponent right now (or ever).

Comment

I'm well aware - that's why I think I called it at 4-7 with a 4-1 start. 5-6 is my ceiling as I don't think it's beyond the scope of reality that we sneak out a close win in the second half, but I also don't have much reason to believe we'll go beyond that.

If you recall, the preseason onsensus was that we finished 2-9 with wins against the next two teams, so I just think it's neat we seem to have already exceeded expectations.

That being said, we do actually have to win those next two games and I hope we arent overlooking them, but given who's in charge, I doubt that we are.
              Of course we have to play well each week. There are no real gimmes in the league anymore and we have to be prepared and not overlook anyone because we don't have the talent level to just coast by teams.

That being said, the UMD performance was what initially gave me hope, and we have backed it up since then in each game. Sherwood is a bell cow and a big key, but he's far from the only reason we're winning.

I do think we should be favored in these next two weeks. Looking beyond these weeks, I think we even have a chance in a couple games after that. I think the Winona game could be competitive, just for one example. I think 5-6 is likely the ceiling though.

Comment

Of course we have to play well each week. There are no real gimmes in the league anymore and we have to be prepared and not overlook anyone because we don't have the talent level to just coast by teams.

That being said, the UMD performance was what initially gave me hope, and we have backed it up since then in each game. Sherwood is a bell cow and a big key, but he's far from the only reason we're winning.

I do think we should be favored in these next two weeks. Looking beyond these weeks, I think we even have a chance in a couple games after that. I think the Winona game could be competitive, just for one example. I think 5-6 is likely the ceiling though.
                Agreed 100%.

Winona is my potential second-half upset pick as well. At this point in the season, 3-8 is a disappointment, 4-7 is the expectation, and 5-6 will be huge. Anything beyond that feels improbable, but who knows at this point.

The MSU game intrigues me too - if I recall, they hung 52 on us last year with no response. It's highly unlikely that we win, but IMO, it's one of the best measuring sticks we'll have. On top of that, there's the obvious tie-in with the old SCSU rivalry - aside from hiring Hoffner himself, is there a better guy out there to face MSU? It's why I put that game above Augustana in terms of interest despite similar results last year.

Sherwood was a bright spot for me last season, probably the only one - and he's exceeded my expectations thus far, which is why I talk about him a lot. Statistically, he could have the best SMSU season since Tonderum (and might even surpass him on an 11-game basis). That being said, I definitely recognize the other contributions that have come. Defense is very much improved, we haven't missed a PAT, etc. etc. I think we're doing good for right now, with future improvements hopefully to come.
                Last edited by SW_Mustang; 09-23-2022, 12:47 PM.

Comment

That seems like an eternity ago now. I thought they'd get the old QB to give them a boost as a slot, that hasn't occurred at all..and Muhammed has been at 20 yards each of the last 2 weeks. They had fight in them in G1 and that slowly turned sour and then at USF they looked completely overwhelmed..and then again last week. I like their secondary but I don't think that helps them much against a SMSU team who's looking to pound the rock. I don't think the Mustangs just one-side them, as Southwest seems like their games will likely be close..one way or another..but I think they get some more breathing room in this one compared to the past few.

Comment

• Since Jeff Loots was brought up in the podcast thread, figured I'd mention that his son was recently offered by Coach Underwood. Also has offers from Jamestown and St Olaf.

Comment

• That was a bit too close for comfort, but all in all, a win is a win and I'm proud of our team for sticking this one out when everything seemed to be going Minot's way.

After seeing our QB, I like him. A bit rough around the edges, but has good feet and made some good throws. A work in progress no doubt. Put the ball in the back of the endzone when it mattered most.

We split the RB duty between Sherwood and Donald who had 84 yards. Would like to see more of this going forward, as fun as it is seeing Jesse put up bonkers numbers. Was very happy again with the run game.

Minot was a lot better than I expected and I wish them to best going forward.

Comment

We split the RB duty between Sherwood and Donald who had 84 yards. Would like to see more of this going forward, as fun as it is seeing Jesse put up bonkers numbers. Was very happy again with the run game.
                        This was really good to see. And we really didn't see a big drop in production (only from 6.7 to 6.5 per carry). Austin is only a sophomore, so I guess we are probably looking at the next era when he totes the rock.

Comment

This was really good to see. And we really didn't see a big drop in production (only from 6.7 to 6.5 per carry). Austin is only a sophomore, so I guess we are probably looking at the next era when he totes the rock.
                          He was pretty fun to watch in his own right. Maybe not quite as explosive (yet), but definitely a workhorse. I was a bit nervous seeing him in so much towards the end of the half, but quickly forgot about it.

Comment

• As I mentioned, Minot was no gimme and was a grind. There are no easy ones.

Mary is 0-4 but the teams they have played are 13-3... so maybe they are a great 0-4 team or maybe they can't win, but my point is all the games were fairly close.

Minot is 0-4 but the teams they have played are 14-2...

I expect Upper Iowa to be very close at the end, especially given the close games we always have against them.

Comment

As I mentioned, Minot was no gimme and was a grind. There are no easy ones.

Mary is 0-4 but the teams they have played are 13-3... so maybe they are a great 0-4 team or maybe they can't win, but my point is all the games were fairly close.

Minot is 0-4 but the teams they have played are 14-2...

I expect Upper Iowa to be very close at the end, especially given the close games we always have against them.
                              Yeah, I guess I was a little bit too confident in that - but we did pull out the win which is what matters.

Makes me think UIU will keep it close, probably within a score.

Comment

Yeah, I guess I was a little bit too confident in that - but we did pull out the win which is what matters.

Makes me think UIU will keep it close, probably within a score.
                                last 7 games will all be an absolute grind. we will probably be underdogs in at least 5 maybe 6 of them. Crazy schedule left but I think we will compete.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X