Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe to say I was wrong on my score prediction. My goodness.

No Sherwood this game - injury, or day off? Donald Austin though... 100+ yards from him.

McComb with his best game yet.

Comment

• 47-7 the final.

Not much to say here. Great team effort.

Two nitpicks here:

-Two fumbles (recovered). It didn't affect us today, but looking forward, this could make or break us. No INTs though, I like the statistical improvements coming from the QB.

-Missed kicks, at least 4 points we left on the table today. Again, didn't affect us today, but 4 points could be the difference going forward.

That being said, no real complaints. We handled business on homecoming. I was too ill to attend, but a W sure helped.

Comment

• Is a second straight DPOW coming for Onte? Two picks with a pick-6!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
          Is a second straight DPOW coming for Onte? Two picks with a pick-6!
          Has to be.

Would be 4th-straight POW honors for SMSU. Wow.

Comment

• Pretty fun season so far. I think it has been a blast. Schedule gets tougher and we will be underdogs in every game, but certainly can win some of those.

Will depend on injuries etc, likely.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
              Pretty fun season so far. I think it has been a blast. Schedule gets tougher and we will be underdogs in every game, but certainly can win some of those.

Will depend on injuries etc, likely.
              The uncertainty is pretty fun in it's own right, especially since this stretch seemed all but lost even a couple weeks ago.

I look forward to it. Our biggest goal is to be competitive, and maybe steal another win or two away in the process. I'm excited.

Comment

• This game this weekend makes me nervous I won't lie. Coming off a huge emotional win at Augie for the Key to the City game. Then play a much improved SMSU team. I can see the Coo starting off sluggish. I know they will be ready but this will be a good game

Comment

• Originally posted by USFIllini View Post
                  This game this weekend makes me nervous I won't lie. Coming off a huge emotional win at Augie for the Key to the City game. Then play a much improved SMSU team. I can see the Coo starting off sluggish. I know they will be ready but this will be a good game
                  USF/SMSU always seems to be a good matchup - sans the last few years or so. Especially when Papillion was the QB down there. It's one I never overlook but never count out either.

Definitely one of my favorite opponents - plus I think USF is pretty cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

USF/SMSU always seems to be a good matchup - sans the last few years or so. Especially when Papillion was the QB down there. It's one I never overlook but never count out either.

Definitely one of my favorite opponents - plus I think USF is pretty cool.
                    That 2013 matchup that ended 55-48 still ranks as one of the most insane games I've ever seen. Only time I've witnessed a game where the losing team put up more than 800 yards of offense. A then (mostly unknown) freshman named Luke Papillion pulled off an incredible play where at the end of the game on 4th down he ran around in the backfield avoiding tackles until the clock finally expired to seal the win. That whole game was well worth the price of admission.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

That 2013 matchup that ended 55-48 still ranks as one of the most insane games I've ever seen. Only time I've witnessed a game where the losing team put up more than 800 yards of offense. A then (mostly unknown) freshman named Luke Papillion pulled off an incredible play where at the end of the game on 4th down he ran around in the backfield avoiding tackles until the clock finally expired to seal the win. That whole game was well worth the price of admission.
                      We ran over 100 plays on offense that day in Marshall. My legs have never felt like that. I may have mentioned this previously but the week after that game then NSIC commissioner Butch Raymond was on campus and popped into the locker room to say hello to the team. He made an insanely off the cuff and probably inappropriate joke (though accurate) about our defensive coordinator's coaching prowess. There was a few awkward chuckles and mostly guys saying "did he really just say that?" Maybe that was the moment Coach Stugart knew he was going to move on from him after the season.

I believe Papillion's run was in 2015 though, because I remember watching that from the stands.

Bummed to miss the game this weekend. As SW MN native I have plenty of buddies in brown and gold and look forward to our matchups. Happy to see the competence with Coach Underwood but not excited long-term for another South division battle.
                      4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                      2016 NSIC Champions
                      🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

• Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

I believe Papillion's run was in 2015 though, because I remember watching that from the stands.
                        Was it? I was up there for that game too, so maybe I'm getting them confused. Man, my memory is really starting to fail me lately.

Comment

Was it? I was up there for that game too, so maybe I'm getting them confused. Man, my memory is really starting to fail me lately.
                          I feel like I've been correcting you a lot lately Tundra 😉 But yea, it was 2015 for Papillion's long run. I looked it up to confirm...

"Led by junior quarterback Luke Papillion, USF ran out the clock except for the final three seconds. In fact on a 4th and 22 and 24 seconds left on the clock, Papilion ran off 21 seconds of the clock by navigating back and forth across the field before being stopped for a one yard gain and just enough time for SMSU to run one play from their own 25-yard line."

https://usfcougars.com/news/2015/10/17/210430857.aspx
                          4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                          2016 NSIC Champions
                          🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

I feel like I've been correcting you a lot lately Tundra 😉
                            You and my wife. Maybe I need to take the same approach as I do with her and just stop talking. :D

Comment

That was my first year following the Mustangs, and I missed that one. I've heard plenty about it though. We had Charlie Football, Anthony Dean, Tyler Tonderum, lined up behind the infamous Darveau O-Line back then - so 800 yards sounds about right, haha. 2013 was USF's first year in D2, was it not? Or am I misremembering?

I came down twice for the game. One year was homecoming - probably 2015 maybe? Gimbel vs. Papillion, the latter was ranked as the #25 QB in the nation at that point. Max Mickey too. It was a treat to see. Then I came down in 2018 as part of my last season as a student hurrah - kickoff was over 100 degrees and the Coo came out wearing the black uniforms. That was gnarly, but it didn't slow them down any. Would like to see it in Marshall some time, maybe a joint tailgate is in order.
                              Last edited by SW_Mustang; 10-04-2022, 09:24 AM.

Comment

I feel like I've been correcting you a lot lately Tundra 😉 But yea, it was 2015 for Papillion's long run. I looked it up to confirm...

"Led by junior quarterback Luke Papillion, USF ran out the clock except for the final three seconds. In fact on a 4th and 22 and 24 seconds left on the clock, Papilion ran off 21 seconds of the clock by navigating back and forth across the field before being stopped for a one yard gain and just enough time for SMSU to run one play from their own 25-yard line."

https://usfcougars.com/news/2015/10/17/210430857.aspx
                                Luke is a top 5 favorite NSIC QB for me - I loved watching that guy play and following his career. Really exciting player.

If I recall correctly, he was ranked something like the #25 QB in the nation at all levels coming into that game - pretty unusual for D2, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X