Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

That was my first year following the Mustangs, and I missed that one. I've heard plenty about it though. We had Charlie Football, Anthony Dean, Tyler Tonderum, lined up behind the infamous Darveau O-Line back then - so 800 yards sounds about right, haha. 2013 was USF's first year in D2, was it not? Or am I misremembering?

I came down twice for the game. One year was homecoming - probably 2015 maybe? Gimbel vs. Papillion, the latter was ranked as the #25 QB in the nation at that point. Max Mickey too. It was a treat to see. Then I came down in 2018 as part of my last season as a student hurrah - kickoff was over 100 degrees and the Coo came out wearing the black uniforms. That was gnarly, but it didn't slow them down any. Would like to see it in Marshall some time, maybe a joint tailgate is in order.
    2012 was the first year in the NSIC. That game was at the Bob. My 5th and final year was 2013 and we had the shootout at the REC with the Mustangs. After playing section championships there in HS it was a fun homecoming for me.

May have to do joint tailgate in Marshall next season! I'd say this year in SF if I was around. I'll be sure to protect my flag pole in Marshall though. A bunch of undergrads made off with it in 2015 during the 1st half. Ripped it right off its base.
    4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
    2016 NSIC Champions
    πŸ”‘πŸ”‘πŸ”‘πŸ”‘πŸ”‘πŸ”‘πŸ”‘πŸ”‘

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

2013 was USF's first year in D2, was it not? Or am I misremembering?
      2012 was USF's first year in the NSIC. 2011 was our transition year to D2.

That one I'm pretty certain about, so Otis shouldn't need to correct me. Again. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

2012 was the first year in the NSIC. That game was at the Bob. My 5th and final year was 2013 and we had the shootout at the REC with the Mustangs. After playing section championships there in HS it was a fun homecoming for me.

May have to do joint tailgate in Marshall next season! I'd say this year in SF if I was around. I'll be sure to protect my flag pole in Marshall though. A bunch of undergrads made off with it in 2015 during the 1st half. Ripped it right off its base.
        Oddly enough, I remember you posting about that. I took a walk around campus to see if it got dumped somewhere that Monday. I came up empty though. Definitely not how I want to see SMSU represented in the conference.

I'd come back to Marshall for a tailgate. I've never actually tailgated at the REC - it never seemed to me like the students cared much for athletics, unless they were athletes themselves, so I never really pursued it. That and I also worked a lot on Saturdays. It would have been fun to get a group going though. Fortunately, it seems like the students are a lot more engaged than they were when I was there.

Comment

• Originally posted by USFIllini View Post
          This game this weekend makes me nervous I won't lie. Coming off a huge emotional win at Augie for the Key to the City game. Then play a much improved SMSU team. I can see the Coo starting off sluggish. I know they will be ready but this will be a good game
          It would not surprise me if USF started slow after the huge Augie win. Hard to get up for SMSU no matter what our record is if you are USF since the last bunch of games haven't been remotely competitive. Kids know that.

In the past, USF has simply run the ball down our throat. Our run defense is much improved - see UMD game even, but I still think that is a huge advantage for USF because of the massive size on the offensive line and our lack of depth on defense. That being said, SMSU has battled hard all season and that D line has played their hearts out on every down. Effort won't be an issue.

We're underdogs, but this will be a good measuring stick to see where we are at in year 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

That 2013 matchup that ended 55-48 still ranks as one of the most insane games I've ever seen. Only time I've witnessed a game where the losing team put up more than 800 yards of offense. A then (mostly unknown) freshman named Luke Papillion pulled off an incredible play where at the end of the game on 4th down he ran around in the backfield avoiding tackles until the clock finally expired to seal the win. That whole game was well worth the price of admission.
            great game, that was so fun, Homecoming too so there was a GIANT packed crowd. Just a crazy game. from the opening kickoff the only questions was which team was going to have the ball last because that team was going to win.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

great game, that was so fun, Homecoming too so there was a GIANT packed crowd. Just a crazy game. from the opening kickoff the only questions was which team was going to have the ball last because that team was going to win.
              3899 in attendance that day for Homecoming, Place was electric

Comment

• Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

I feel like I've been correcting you a lot lately Tundra πŸ˜‰ But yea, it was 2015 for Papillion's long run. I looked it up to confirm...

"Led by junior quarterback Luke Papillion, USF ran out the clock except for the final three seconds. In fact on a 4th and 22 and 24 seconds left on the clock, Papilion ran off 21 seconds of the clock by navigating back and forth across the field before being stopped for a one yard gain and just enough time for SMSU to run one play from their own 25-yard line."

https://usfcougars.com/news/2015/10/17/210430857.aspx
                2015 USF was rated # 5 too and SMSU gave them all they could handle.

SMSU was 8-3 that year losing only to Augie, USF,and Mankato - USF and Mankato were rated when we played them.

great crowd that day too 2850 ---

we had 4764 that year vs Moorhead for Homecoming,

Comment

SMSU was 8-3 that year losing only to Augie, USF,and Mankato - USF and Mankato were rated when we played them.

earlier that year in 2015 we beat SCSU 21-20 -- SCSU missed their 3rd extra point, That Husky team coached by Scott Underwood. I brought that up to him recently.

Comment

That Moorhead game was bonkers. It might have been the only game I was able to attend that year. I got special permission to leave work early from my boss, and showed up in my work clothes because I didn't have time to change. Two unlikely 3-0s playing on homecoming? I really love this conference!

I got a seat on the far endzone, usually the empty section of the stadium but this day it was shoulder to shoulder. People all over the berm and on the concourse, and Moorhead brought a crowd. I had the best seat in the house for that patented Gimbel Flea Flicker, and because of that it's "my seat" to this day.

Of the games I've been too, that ranks #1 for atmosphere, and #2 for program importance (#1 being UMD the following year, Blake almost tore my arm off after that TD. It's a wonderful memory).

Comment

earlier that year in 2015 we beat SCSU 21-20 -- SCSU missed their 3rd extra point, That Husky team coached by Scott Underwood. I brought that up to him recently.
                      How'd he react to that? haha.

I remember that game too - I left work to go get lunch, I planned to sit in the grass lot and eat while listening, but I think it was finishing up on my drive to Hardees. I couldn't believe we beat the mighty Huskies. I miss that program, but, I also don't.

Comment

• Get to know Scott Underwood of Southwest Minnesota State and Gustavus’ Zach Jakes in Football Across Minnesota (startribune.com)

Nothing we don't already know for the most part, but still a neat nod.

Comment

• Planning to head to USF and take in the Game. why not ! supposed to be nice and we have a fun team. I have only been to Bob Young stadium once in the last decade so why not.

Comment

• Swami from SMSU is going to be on the pod with Tom and I this week....(released later this afternoon)

FYI Mustang fans..

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                              Swami from SMSU is going to be on the pod with Tom and I this week....(released later this afternoon)

FYI Mustang fans..
                              Nice to see you guys meander out of the Sioux Falls city limits....ha

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                                Swami from SMSU is going to be on the pod with Tom and I this week....(released later this afternoon)

FYI Mustang fans..
                                great podcast as always

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X