Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athletic Department Staff Changes/Promotions at MSU

Obviously going on a wild hair here but part of me wonders if this isn't a preparation for a look at D1?
    ????It seems like the realignment of D1 has opened up some opportunities for D2 schools to make the jump.

I agree. I see Mankato trying to make the jump, especially since they have jumped far ahead of St. Cloud in enrollment. They could easily be in the Summitt if they simply put some suites at the football field. There is enough seating there already and they could easily update the stadium to do that .

As for Taylor Center, already good enough especially if they add suites ebven on one side.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
      I agree. I see Mankato trying to make the jump, especially since they have jumped far ahead of St. Cloud in enrollment. They could easily be in the Summitt if they simply put some suites at the football field. There is enough seating there already and they could easily update the stadium to do that .

As for Taylor Center, already good enough especially if they add suites ebven on one side.
      I'm not sure I see the Blake as a place to "easily update"..it seems pretty stationary and not a place that'd be easy or worth throwing a bunch of $$ at to save....instead, maybe knock it down and make a new one. Taylor Center....yes, that'd more than big enough and capable..agreed. I haven't gotten the impression in the past that MSU is motivated for a move to D1..maybe that's changed.

Comment

Gotta think UST's jump and moderate success in football probably made some MSU boosters and department heads more intrigued by the possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
          There is enough seating there already and they could easily update the stadium to do that .
          No

Comment

The Blake is falling apart. They spent something like $180,000 (I forget the exact figure) to put metal bands around the supporting posts. The concrete stands are too close to the field- I've seen players run into them- one USD runner hit it pretty hard and stayed down for awhile. The press box- well, it should have been napalmed years ago. I've been inside- you battle wasps when it is hot, and cold weather isn't much protection. When they hosted Valdosta in Dec of 2012 they put up another booth for TV. The scoreboard kept going out- finally an official came right by me and unplugged a heater that was up there. It needs a handicapped elevator and they locked all of the restrooms and brought in portapotties because it wasn't designed to have games after mid November.

Love the place- best sight lines anywhere- you are on top of the action- and it looks like a college stadium. But they need a new stadium before the old one comes crashing down like Jericho.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
              The Blake is falling apart. They spent something like $180,000 (I forget the exact figure) to put metal bands around the supporting posts. The concrete stands are too close to the field- I've seen players run into them- one USD runner hit it pretty hard and stayed down for awhile. The press box- well, it should have been napalmed years ago. I've been inside- you battle wasps when it is hot, and cold weather isn't much protection. When they hosted Valdosta in Dec of 2012 they put up another booth for TV. The scoreboard kept going out- finally an official came right by me and unplugged a heater that was up there. It needs a handicapped elevator and they locked all of the restrooms and brought in portapotties because it wasn't designed to have games after mid November.

Love the place- best sight lines anywhere- you are on top of the action- and it looks like a college stadium. But they need a new stadium before the old one comes crashing down like Jericho.
              Best grass surface.
              Best sight lines.
              Above average atmosphere.
              Terrible everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Best grass surface.
                Best sight lines.
                Above average atmosphere.
                Terrible everything else.
                Best way to describe it. Beautiful view, beautiful grass, love the berm - snack packs are wonderful, but everything else is abysmal.

Worked great for hockey day though.

Comment

Would hate to see MSU lose all relevancy by going D1, but it's bound to happen eventually. Hopefully it will help them draw 150 fans/game in basketball vs. 100. And hey, paying $10 to see a bunch of non-draftable baseball players is more fun than seeing it for free.

Alright, that's enough saltiness for one post.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                    Would hate to see MSU lose all relevancy by going D1, but it's bound to happen eventually. Hopefully it will help them draw 150 fans/game in basketball vs. 100. And hey, paying $10 to see a bunch of non-draftable baseball players is more fun than seeing it for free.

Alright, that's enough saltiness for one post.

Comment

This could be nothing, but I don't see the need for moving people's responsibilities and adding titles if it doesn't mean the Athletic Department isn't looking at advancing the program in some fashion, whether that's simply stadiums/fields or if it's an entire jump.
                      In my gut it's a way that Mankato is at least preparing itself to be ready if they get looked at by D1 conferences. Doesn't mean they'd make the jump, but I think it's a step in that direction to explore how capable the school is, if asked.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

When I reconnected with the Mavericks courtesy of the internet, I felt kinda old because basketball wasn't played at Otto Arena and hockey wasn't played at All Seasons anymore.

But it's way past time something was done about Blakeslee.

Comment

Lindenwood just announced they are joining the Ohio Valley. It's not entirely apples for apples but if they can get an invite I don't see how Mankato couldn't either.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                            This could be nothing, but I don't see the need for moving people's responsibilities and adding titles if it doesn't mean the Athletic Department isn't looking at advancing the program in some fashion, whether that's simply stadiums/fields or if it's an entire jump.
                            In my gut it's a way that Mankato is at least preparing itself to be ready if they get looked at by D1 conferences. Doesn't mean they'd make the jump, but I think it's a step in that direction to explore how capable the school is, if asked.
                            It could also be rewarding your people with promotions and raises. Sometimes in order to get a certain percentage pay increase, they need to get creative with the title to make it sound like a new role.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                              Lindenwood just announced they are joining the Ohio Valley. It's not entirely apples for apples but if they can get an invite I don't see how Mankato couldn't either.
                              First, no thanks to the OVC.
                              Second, Lindenwood is a geographically perfect addition to the conference. Mankato is not.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X