Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BulldogFan View Post
    Weather not looking good for the Duluth game this Fridaywith cold and rain forec?asted after getting about 10" of snow yesterday. How are the other schools doing with their spring games? Any happen yet?
    Game is still on even with the cold and rain. check out the 3rd floor of Malosky to stay warm and dry

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
      Northern has it's spring game this weekend and there was a Story about spring in the paper today with quotes from Coach Schmidt. He is obviously very high on the receiving corps and the linebackers. The OL and DL seem like they will be the biggest question marks, but we shall see I suppose. Unsurprisingly, transfers will play a big part in the Wolves 2022 season (and most every college team. It would seem there will be transfer starters at QB, WR, DL, S and maybe others.
      Thunder,

If last season was any indication of how NSU will go about their business in the future, I'd say they'll be maybe the most active program in the usage of the portal. Coach Schmidt is portal-savvy..and wanted to make a splash in his first year, and for the most part I'd say he did..as the Wolves were in a spot to make the playoffs but couldn't take care of business in their final two games of the season with losses to BSU and Duluth..both winnable games. In order to maintain the level set last fall by Schmidt and his staff they'll likely need those same type of D1 transfers to maintain..since plenty was now lost year-to-year. In future seasons Northern might see more of the fruits of their labor more with their high school recruits of these last few classes they've gotten. Like NSU, Wayne was able to hit on some key transfers..especially skill positions like QB, RB, WR.

Mankato tried the plug-n-play route with the portal a year ago and it ended up being square peg / round hole..as they didn't have the experienced leaders of years previous to anchor the squad. I think their results were more a product of just too much to replace, frankly. I think some of the top teams will have spot-fill usage at best with the portal....teams like Augie, USF, UMD..who all seem to wanna not mess with their successful formula too much..whereas some others might not have much to lose by playing the portal more often.

We are very much in the infancy of this portal situation. This last season we did get a chance to see how it could impact teams. There's certainly a push and pull with the portal....as you don't want to create a culture that suggests a transfer is on the way to take a starting role as a 4-year guy feels like they are ready to step-in for that spot. On the flipside though as a coach you wanna have the best athletes you can get into your program..and then let the chips fall how they may.

Undoubtedly we will see more additional activity as spring camps wrap up and FCS guys find out they aren't where they wanna be on their existing depth chart..and then look for greener grass elsewhere. Some of those guys might land in key spots for NSIC teams that really need a dude at QB, WR, and so forth. Don't think the musical chairs is over just yet for the upcoming campaign.

Comment

Spoke yesterday with Coach OJ at Augie....dispute volatile weather potentially showing up during the next 24-48 hours in Sioux Falls, the Vikings will be having their Spring Game..which is a modified scrimmage and position groupings deal. I've attended before and I'd say it loosely would be considered a scrimmage. 1pm tmrw.

USF will be having their Spring Game next Saturday and it's a little more of a typical scrimmage.

Other reports from the spring..?

Comment

Augustana spring game Saturday calls for 75 degrees with a 40 pct of thunderstorms. Will be interesting to see how QB's play as there will be a new starter this fall after 4 years of Kyle Saddler who will graduate.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Thunder,

If last season was any indication of how NSU will go about their business in the future, I'd say they'll be maybe the most active program in the usage of the portal. Coach Schmidt is portal-savvy..and wanted to make a splash in his first year, and for the most part I'd say he did..as the Wolves were in a spot to make the playoffs but couldn't take care of business in their final two games of the season with losses to BSU and Duluth..both winnable games. In order to maintain the level set last fall by Schmidt and his staff they'll likely need those same type of D1 transfers to maintain..since plenty was now lost year-to-year. In future seasons Northern might see more of the fruits of their labor more with their high school recruits of these last few classes they've gotten. Like NSU, Wayne was able to hit on some key transfers..especially skill positions like QB, RB, WR.
            I think everyone knew there would be quite a few transfers and a lot of roster turnover with a new coach in town. Coach Schmidt did a great job filling out the roster for his first year of games and the product on the field was very entertaining. It's crazy to think the Wolves were just a handful of plays away from possibly starting the season 10-0. Every level and sport of college athletics will be portal heavy going forward. My view is that if Northern can remain "portal neutral" every season it will be a good trend. What I mean is if they bring in roughly the same number of transfers that they lose each season that will be good. I feel it will be important for all NSIC to continue to try to recruit high schoolers well and develop talent. You just have to hope they stay with you and don't move up.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
              Augustana spring game Saturday calls for 75 degrees with a 40 pct of thunderstorms. Will be interesting to see how QB's play as there will be a new starter this fall after 4 years of Kyle Saddler who will graduate.
              The other thing for their game this weekend, there's talk of winds between 30-50mph during the middle of the day. Unfortunately, it's been crazy windy in the upper midwest much of the spring ball period.

I just saw on twitter that Winona is having theirs tmrw at 2pm....pregame stuff before that. If you're a Warrior supporter, get out there and see what the new coach has cooking and such.

Comment

I watched the Winona Spring Game over the weekend....as they had a stream of the game.

Kudos to
                @WinonaState_FB

Comment

quick thoughts from the Winona game..

#12 Trevor Paulson - he's an athlete at QB, 6'3 but can move..made some plays. They had some other QB's in the scrimmage as well. Xfer RB from Northern Iowa Nick McCabe took the first carry of the game and ran bullish through the middle and was hard to bring down. Got a feeling he's going to be part of their plans offensively..and they'll have some nice depth in the RB room.

A lot more bubble screens and QB keepers on zone read runs than I ever recall in the past with the Warriors. Aarion Lacy had a swarming thump on a wideout who had to wait a little too long for a short route. Coach Bergy was in the middle of the field kinda navigating things and got on the mic before the start of the game to talk to the fans. While the pic above makes it look like a sparse crowd, this was a few mins before they began..and plenty of people seemingly arrived on a chilly windy day.

I was going to stop by Augie but my son had a indoor baseball practice that interfered with that..and there was also steady 40mph winds in the Sioux Falls area which made being outside fairly miserable.

Please post Spring Game updates / info here. Thanks.

Comment

Not NSIC related - but I did make it to SDSU's spring game on Saturday in between SMSU/SDSU VB in Marshall the morning and the Stampede game in SF at night.

They held it indoors at their track facility, which I thought was cool. Not much to report, but it was cool to see.

Comment

UMD spring game was pretty uneventful and didn't show much. Weather was cold and drizzly with the wind that was impacting everyone. Logan Graetz came out as QB1 and didn't do too much while throwing 2 picks. In his defense he never had much time to throw the ball but was hoping for more here. Walljasper came in as QB2 and completed a few passes but was also constantly scrambling to avoid the rush. He had a couple nice runs that were whisteled quickly by the refs to avoid any contact but can see he was comfortable running the ball. Elmes came in and played for both the Maroon and White teams and had a couple nice runs as well. Olson didnt play so didnt see anything there. Wiese was quoted afterwards that its an open competition for the starting QB job amongst the 4 but I believe its more of a battle for QB2 as Graetz seems to be the lock to start.

There was no running game for either side all day. In fact, very little offense. So either the defense is going to be great this year or the weather and familiarity of each other made it more difficult. It also seemed like there wasn't much interest in seeing much during the game. I've never seen a spring game where you walk to halftime with 40 seconds left on the clock. No 2 minute drill the whole game and no tempo either. Game ended with about 30 seconds on the clock in a victory formation kneel down.

Comment

MSU spring game: Way too windy for any passes or kicks. Field showed the effect of hockey day in Minnesota- the only green was underneath where the rink had been, the surrounding areas even though covered showed the abuse of use. One player was taken away in an ambulance- appeared to have a severe lower leg injury. Lots of people at the BBQ afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                          I watched the Winona Spring Game over the weekend....as they had a stream of the game.

Kudos to
                          @WinonaState_FB
                          I was hoping to get to the game but ended up going out of town. Drove by the campus in the early afternoon and looked like a lot of activity in the area, saw the HBC Channel 25 van and some game day experience tents set up. Saw some good buzz about it on twitter from some former players. Looing foward to the season, now just need something to do for the next 4ish months to kee myself busy.

Comment

Anybody get to Augie's game? How was it? The article on their page has one line about the game and the talks about the captains (sounds like good choices).
                            https://goaugie.com/news/2022/4/23/s...-football.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by BulldogFan View Post
                              UMD spring game was pretty uneventful and didn't show much. Weather was cold and drizzly with the wind that was impacting everyone. Logan Graetz came out as QB1 and didn't do too much while throwing 2 picks. In his defense he never had much time to throw the ball but was hoping for more here. Walljasper came in as QB2 and completed a few passes but was also constantly scrambling to avoid the rush. He had a couple nice runs that were whisteled quickly by the refs to avoid any contact but can see he was comfortable running the ball. Elmes came in and played for both the Maroon and White teams and had a couple nice runs as well. Olson didnt play so didnt see anything there. Wiese was quoted afterwards that its an open competition for the starting QB job amongst the 4 but I believe its more of a battle for QB2 as Graetz seems to be the lock to start.

There was no running game for either side all day. In fact, very little offense. So either the defense is going to be great this year or the weather and familiarity of each other made it more difficult. It also seemed like there wasn't much interest in seeing much during the game. I've never seen a spring game where you walk to halftime with 40 seconds left on the clock. No 2 minute drill the whole game and no tempo either. Game ended with about 30 seconds on the clock in a victory formation kneel down.
                              Th Bulldogs were without 6 very key plays, who will be back in the fall, the coaches got what they wanted out of the game considering the terrible weather and wind. the coaches are very optimistic about the 2022 season. I agree it looks like Graetz has the inside track at QB, as he was good last yr before his injury, Garret will be back in the fall with a lot of experience and is a very good leader, the coaches really like Walljasper and he is tough as nails with great feet. the D will be very solid but very young at cornerbacks, the O line has the potential to be the best in a while.very tough schedule, should be an exciting season

Comment

Heading west to catch the Spring game this weekend. Looking forward to it but the weather seems less than ideal

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X