Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't able to make it to the NSU spring game last week, but there was a decent write up in the paper with some quotes from Schmidt. As with everyone else in this part of the country, I think the weather made it difficult to get a good sense of the team. I was a bit to surprised to see Schmidt say that the QB job is Bonds job to lose. The WRs will be very good next season. The transfer from MoWest was apparently impressive and the article did confirm Dakota Larson will be back next year along with Ingram, Lux, Nolan, and the transfer from Missouri State. I also expect Stanley Haskins, a local small town kid, to take the role of Vance Barnes next season. I think Haskins has the potential to be an explosive playmaker used all over the field. The only real headline for the D in the paper was that the "Defensive Line Shines". Unfortunately, I read that more of a red flag on the biggest issue the Wolves will face for the 2022 season. The OL is a huge question mark, and it doesn't matter how skilled your outside players are if your QB doesn't have time to get them the ball. Overall, expectations have been raised in Aberdeen. In the past, a .500 season was a good year. Now, I think most NSU fans are hoping to be playing important games in November with a shot to get into the playoffs.

Comment

Comment

What's on the Spring Game schedule for this week? USF I see. Gophers moved theirs inside and said no fans, so I'm without a football related activity this weekend.

Might hit up USF, or see SDSU baseball play.

Comment

All my plans got cancelled, so I made it down to USF for the afternoon. Good crowd given the crappy weather. Fun game.

Comment

Rained heavy before but pretty much quit during the Spring game then immediately opened up after. So in that case it worked out. Winds were tough but it was entertaining. A lot of energy and a nice way to end the Spring season. Come Fall when they are healthy I think the USF defense is going to be very good. On a side note I think they had over 100 recruits there

Comment

Originally posted by USFIllini View Post
              Rained heavy before but pretty much quit during the Spring game then immediately opened up after. So in that case it worked out. Winds were tough but it was entertaining. A lot of energy and a nice way to end the Spring season. Come Fall when they are healthy I think the USF defense is going to be very good. On a side note I think they had over 100 recruits there
              Defense played great. Good note on the weather. I made it up to the second deck for the first time, that's a pretty neat view from up there. Definitely enjoyed my visit to the Bob, as a I always do.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Defense played great. Good note on the weather. I made it up to the second deck for the first time, that's a pretty neat view from up there. Definitely enjoyed my visit to the Bob, as a I always do.
                Next time gimme a heads up. I was wandering the sideline and got a few shots as the weather cleared up briefly.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Next time gimme a heads up. I was wandering the sideline and got a few shots as the weather cleared up briefly.
                  For sure! If you saw a guy walking around in a Mavs hat, that was me.

Comment

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post

Th Bulldogs were without 6 very key plays, who will be back in the fall, the coaches got what they wanted out of the game considering the terrible weather and wind. the coaches are very optimistic about the 2022 season. I agree it looks like Graetz has the inside track at QB, as he was good last yr before his injury, Garret will be back in the fall with a lot of experience and is a very good leader, the coaches really like Walljasper and he is tough as nails with great feet. the D will be very solid but very young at cornerbacks, the O line has the potential to be the best in a while.very tough schedule, should be an exciting season
                    I can see them using multiple QB's this season unless someone really breaks out as "the guy". Last year when Larson was out they were quick to pull guys and didn't seem too convinced with either Olson or Graetz. Maybe that short leash made them play tighter, who knows. Walljasper may be the wild card as a true running QB. I guess we will know in a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by BulldogFan View Post

I can see them using multiple QB's this season unless someone really breaks out as "the guy". Last year when Larson was out they were quick to pull guys and didn't seem too convinced with either Olson or Graetz. Maybe that short leash made them play tighter, who knows. Walljasper may be the wild card as a true running QB. I guess we will know in a few months.
                      This seems to be one of the things to watch for outta Duluth....what direction they go at QB. They seem real comfortable with Graetz being the guy, except for the fact he doesn't make plays with his feet as a runner the way other UMD QB's have been able to. Against better squads the Bulldogs like to have the ability to have the QB take off on a tough 3rd down and move the chains..or near the end zone. It'll be interesting to watch UMD finally having to move away from Larson at QB and how that'll go..and if some level of a 2 QB system gets utilized with the 2nd guy having the ability to scamper.

Overall it does seem like they'll be a fair amount of turnover at the QB spot for the top squads....with Augie no longer having Saddler, UMD with Larson gone, Ekowa being done at MSU, Trautman at Northern all done, Owen Burke finished at Winona..etc. That in mind, teams like Bemidji, Mary, MSUM, and Wayne have to like the fact they are returning a high performer at that position. USF returns Mullen, who was steady but not dynamic..but that's also seemingly in-line with being a ball-control offense primarily. BSU getting speed running back Jalen Frye returning from injury..along with Alt and BB at wideout, their offense has the makings of hitting the ground running immediately.

Comment

This seems to be one of the things to watch for outta Duluth....what direction they go at QB. They seem real comfortable with Graetz being the guy, except for the fact he doesn't make plays with his feet as a runner the way other UMD QB's have been able to. Against better squads the Bulldogs like to have the ability to have the QB take off on a tough 3rd down and move the chains..or near the end zone. It'll be interesting to watch UMD finally having to move away from Larson at QB and how that'll go..and if some level of a 2 QB system gets utilized with the 2nd guy having the ability to scamper.

Overall it does seem like they'll be a fair amount of turnover at the QB spot for the top squads....with Augie no longer having Saddler, UMD with Larson gone, Ekowa being done at MSU, Trautman at Northern all done, Owen Burke finished at Winona..etc. That in mind, teams like Bemidji, Mary, MSUM, and Wayne have to like the fact they are returning a high performer at that position. USF returns Mullen, who was steady but not dynamic..but that's also seemingly in-line with being a ball-control offense primarily. BSU getting speed running back Jalen Frye returning from injury..along with Alt and BB at wideout, their offense has the makings of hitting the ground running immediately.
                        I know the fanbase is excited to get Logan Nelson back. It also looks like they are on the verge of getting him another weapon as a UNLV TE grad transfer is heading to Mary. Got to give credit where credit is due, Bagnell seems to be getting in some quality grad transfers that have been making great impacts. RB Smalls from U of South Florida was a big surprise last year.

Comment

My guess is Wiese keeps his decision underwraps until game 1. Watching his interviews last year disguising who was healthy and who would be playing QB makes me believe he will not be overly forthcoming with his plans at signal caller. No matter who he chooses they will have a very solid team around them and Im looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.

Other team Im curious about is Auggie. They had a transfer from Utah that didnt travel with the team last year and wondering if he is the real deal or overly stretched going to a power 5.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X