Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: NCAA Hockey Tournament

I see that the men's hockey tournament starts today, thought this was was usually scheduled for Friday-Sunday. St Cloud, Mankato, and Duluth are once again making appearances.

Saw the crowd for the Mankato game going on, Mavs up 3-0 as I post this. Looks to be a couple hundred people at best, wish the NCAA would let the top seeds host and play the games at more favorable times.

Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post
    I see that the men's hockey tournament starts today, thought this was was usually scheduled for Friday-Sunday. St Cloud, Mankato, and Duluth are once again making appearances.

Saw the crowd for the Mankato game going on, Mavs up 3-0 as I post this. Looks to be a couple hundred people at best, wish the NCAA would let the top seeds host and play the games at more favorable times.
    Filled out two brackets with two-time CCHA tournament champion Mankato winning both.

Holding the Frozen Four in Boston makes sense, but I'll never understand why the NCAA tries to hold tournament games in non-markets. Sioux Falls is an exception to that, but even then I don't think attendance was that great.

Can't wait for Augustana to get hockey so I can actually start going regularly, since SDSU probably won't ever get a team.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Filled out two brackets with two-time CCHA tournament champion Mankato winning both.

Holding the Frozen Four in Boston makes sense, but I'll never understand why the NCAA tries to hold tournament games in non-markets. Sioux Falls is an exception to that, but even then I don't think attendance was that great.

Can't wait for Augustana to get hockey so I can actually start going regularly, since SDSU probably won't ever get a team.
      The Frozen Four sites have always seemed solid. But playing your games in the middle of the afternoon won't help attendance at all. I say either let the 1 seeds host the first two rounds or place the games in better markets and start the games later so people have a chance to make it.

Comment

The Frozen Four sites have always seemed solid. But playing your games in the middle of the afternoon won't help attendance at all. I say either let the 1 seeds host the first two rounds or place the games in better markets and start the games later so people have a chance to make it.
        The Frozen Four is starting to deviate from that. Next year is Tampa, 2025 is St. Louis, and 2026 is in Vegas. The exception in that stretch is 2024 in St. Paul.

St. Louis will be an interesting one - especially with Lindenwood getting hockey. It's not the worst place to hold it, but it's not exactly in a big college market either. The Golden Knights do have a solid following, but I don't think it will translate to the college side of things.

As for regionals, I like the idea of the high seed hosting, or book it so that each regional is in a tight radius in a college hockey market - like hold one in Mass, one in Minnesota/Sioux Falls/Wisconsin, one in Michigan/Ohio, one in Indiana or something to that effect. High seed gets to play closest to home, that way Mankato isn't being shipped out to Albany, NY.

Comment

Gophers vs Mavs in the frozen four. Go Mavs!!!!!

Comment

I'm on my way to Boston to do my part. Horns up!

Comment

It's time for Denver to bring the trophy a mile high again. Go Pioneers!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                It's time for Denver to bring the trophy a mile high again. Go Pioneers!!!!!!!!!
                No.

Comment

Well to clarify, go Mavs for that game but hopefully my Wolverines take it home. Haven't won in since 98 and it's time to finish the job this year.

Comment

Well to clarify, go Mavs for that game but hopefully my Wolverines take it home. Haven't won in since 98 and it's time to finish the job this year.
                    The other three schools have won the title multiple times and I usually pull for the team that has never won it at all- so I will continue to do that this year.

Comment

No.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

No.
                        With all due respect, yes.

Comment

With all due respect, yes.
                          Disagree.

Comment

The Frozen Four will almost always be close to a sell out. To many people have renewable tickets and want to keep their priority seating assignment. Whether the butts for the seats show up, that is another story, but tickets sold will always be close.

As for the "off" college markets, I think a lot of these season ticket holders have wanted the NCAA to go to these off markets as they view this weekend as a chance to see areas that they may not normally travel to. Tampa has been a hit in the past, I see Vegas being a hit as well, just because people will travel there. I worked the Frozen Four in St. Louis in 2007 when the CHA (Bemidji's league at the time) was the host. The fans loved it as there was plenty to do and see in the down time. With the Frozen Four, it is as much about the destination as it is the games. If you keep going back to the same three cities year after year, the diehard ticket holders get bored.

As for the regionals, the reason they moved them off campus had a lot to do with Michigan. The final straw was the year Michigan hosted at Yost and was a three seed (I can't remember the year). Since they were hosting, they got to use their own locker room while the one seed got relegated to one of the visitor locker rooms. Michigan ended up coming out of the regional, and part of the uproar was that the number one seed didn't get the preferential treatment.

With neutral sites, all teams are treated the same. All stay in hotels, all get the same basic locker room set up, etc. Yes, if you are the host school and make the tournament, you get placed in that regional, but you are still not at "home".

While having the games on campus at the number one seed would most likely lead to higher attendance, it will only work if the host team makes the championship. The host team gets bounced in the first round, crickets for the regional championship.

There are pluses and minuses to both sides of the coin, but I think the NCAA is trying to keep the playing field as level as possible. And I think most of the programs out there, outside of the "blue bloods" that would end up hosting more times than not, are in favor of that.
                            Millsy

Comment

Game day, Go Michigan, Go Mavericks!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X