Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

Looking out for ACHA team as they move to Division 1. It would not surprise me if they made the push for NCAA. Could be a reason Lennon left, I have nothing concrete but from the outside looking in its an interesting dynamic.
    I kind of keep an eye on UMary's hockey program since we have billeted for the Alexandria Blizzard in the past. Always seemed like a player of two from the Blizzard ended up moving on to the Marauders.

Hockey is definitely an interesting dynamic in an athletic department. It seems that you either have an AD that is behind the program or an AD that is dead set against a program, especially at smaller schools. I get it, hockey is an expensive sport and a niche sport, but it is one that a small school can carve out an identity with, if handled correctly.

It will be interesting to see what Augustana can do with their move. I really think it will be a good move for them.
    Millsy

Comment

Originally posted by Millsy View Post

I kind of keep an eye on UMary's hockey program since we have billeted for the Alexandria Blizzard in the past. Always seemed like a player of two from the Blizzard ended up moving on to the Marauders.

Hockey is definitely an interesting dynamic in an athletic department. It seems that you either have an AD that is behind the program or an AD that is dead set against a program, especially at smaller schools. I get it, hockey is an expensive sport and a niche sport, but it is one that a small school can carve out an identity with, if handled correctly.

It will be interesting to see what Augustana can do with their move. I really think it will be a good move for them.
      All great points Millsy, seeing how the Sioux Falls community supports their USHL team I think it will be a good move for Augustana. Another interesting point that comes to mind with the Mary AD position is that Myron Schulz (former Head football coach and professor of Sports Management) left last year to take the AD position at Bismarck State College. If Lennon was planning on leaving youd think Schulz could have possibly gotten the hand off. Just some food for thought, you said it best, if handled correctly hockey can really elevate a school and athletic program but its a fine line as its costs are very high and its success depends on how well the team is doing.

I would never take anything away from a student athlete however the ACHA has many club teams, I am thinking there could be a transition for Mary to go NCAA and the conversation looked like high level administration was favoring hockey. Only time will tell as its been almost a month since the initial AD posting.

Comment

Add Duluth to the list of NSIC schools looking for an AD.

Comment

All great points Millsy, seeing how the Sioux Falls community supports their USHL team I think it will be a good move for Augustana. Another interesting point that comes to mind with the Mary AD position is that Myron Schulz (former Head football coach and professor of Sports Management) left last year to take the AD position at Bismarck State College. If Lennon was planning on leaving youd think Schulz could have possibly gotten the hand off. Just some food for thought, you said it best, if handled correctly hockey can really elevate a school and athletic program but its a fine line as its costs are very high and its success depends on how well the team is doing.

I would never take anything away from a student athlete however the ACHA has many club teams, I am thinking there could be a transition for Mary to go NCAA and the conversation looked like high level administration was favoring hockey. Only time will tell as its been almost a month since the initial AD posting.
          I think with UND hockey being such a big draw (dare I say #2 most popular team in the state?), I think North Dakota definitely has the market for a second team. I've been hoping NDSU would be up to the task, but they don't seem interested at all. Minot expressed interest some years back but nothing came of it.

Rooting for UMary to take the plunge. I'd like college hockey to grow.

Comment

I do remember Minot State looking at the D1 route, like you said nothing came of it. I would be interested in the inner workings of how this transition comes about, I am assuming it is a ton of money with risk. (See Wayne State University, Detroit) I think you are right, North Dakota does have the appetite for a second D1 team. I have not heard too much about the AD position, just rumblings of a possible NCAA hockey move.

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...ision-i-hockey

Comment

Minot finalists - Current Assist AD Weppler, former UMary staffer Forde, former Williston AD Artamenko.

Mary completed zoom interviews, on-campus TBD.

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysabeaver View Post
                Minot finalists - Current Assist AD Weppler, former UMary staffer Forde, former Williston AD Artamenko.

Mary completed zoom interviews, on-campus TBD.
                Interesting Minot's finalists include a former Mary staffer and a Mary grad.

Comment

Minot just posted the 4 finalists for the AD job. I would think a decision will be made before the 4th and they will announce after the 4th.
                  Anyone know these names? Who is the favorite of the group?
                  https://msubeavers.com/news/2022/6/1...-position.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Red Rising View Post
                    Minot just posted the 4 finalists for the AD job. I would think a decision will be made before the 4th and they will announce after the 4th.
                    Anyone know these names? Who is the favorite of the group?
                    https://msubeavers.com/news/2022/6/1...-position.aspx
                    Based on their bios - that's an interesting group. Internal candidate, a guy who is currently a farmer, JUCO Director, and an executive for Schutt. I'm thinking they either go internal or with the JUCO director, but that's purely speculation based on the bios.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Based on their bios - that's an interesting group. Internal candidate, a guy who is currently a farmer, JUCO Director, and an executive for Schutt. I'm thinking they either go internal or with the JUCO director, but that's purely speculation based on the bios.
                      I wonder if Forde is getting a sniff at UMary. Really curious as to who Mary hires as it will set the tone as to where they plan to take their hockey program and could answer questions as to why Schulz and Lennon have jumped ship.

Comment

Any news on the Minot, UMary AD search? This seems to be taking an unusually long time. Mary posted twice and the Minot finalists interviewed weeks ago. Any info would be appreciated.

Comment

Any news on the Minot, UMary AD search? This seems to be taking an unusually long time. Mary posted twice and the Minot finalists interviewed weeks ago. Any info would be appreciated.
                          Northern took around nine months on this last hire, for what it's worth.

Comment

New AD named:
                            https://msubeavers.com/news/2022/7/6...athletics.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by WhyNotMinot View Post
                              Forde, looks like s great hire for MSU.

Comment

Originally posted by WhyNotMinot View Post
                                Thanks, appreciate it. So odd some schools wrap these up within a month or so and some drag on. Interesting.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X