Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointing loss. This one was on the coaches in my opinion. There use of personnel is mind boggling in my opinion. Augie was playing their third string QB and we still lost.

Still don’t have a QB. And honestly, their best QB they have playing tight end at 5’11 215. Mind boggling

Comment

Originally posted by TJE_ View Post
      Disappointing loss. This one was on the coaches in my opinion. There use of personnel is mind boggling in my opinion. Augie was playing their third string QB and we still lost.

Still don’t have a QB. And honestly, their best QB they have playing tight end at 5’11 215. Mind boggling
      I thought Madler did better today. But when you drop off from Hunter to guys with no experience and lose two (not to be repetitive) all-American level WRs, we knew what was coming.

That said, we had Mankato crushed, we outgained Augie in yards, these past two years is a place I never thought we'd be. Our defense is incredible through four games.

In football it is tough to time personnel and get things right at the same time, im be thankful for being even close right now.

After seeing UMD and Bemidji now, I don't think there is a game left that the Wolves can't win. Bemidji and Duluth certainly aren't what they've been in the past. UMary still has the best QB (thought exited late today with injury) and best WR in the league so they could certainly win.

Not saying we win out, but not a single game wegaon't compete in the rest of the way, unless of courae a losing streak happens and players give up.

Comment

2 tough losses with a lot in common. NSU had turnovers at the goal line in both games. NSU was crushed in turnover margin in both games. This one had the bonus of gifting Augie a TD with the fumble. This defense is incredible. The offense is no where near good enough to overcome turnovers.

Coach Schmidt didn’t sugar coat things in the postgame interview. The fumble by Madler was bad. He was a little better today, but not good enough to be a good team like Augie. I don’t know what the answer is. I still feel like he is the best option and you are going to have to live with the bad plays as he learns. NSU needs to bounce back next week against a team they should beat, but a team that is a dangerous opponent.

Comment

I don’t agree about the defense. Upper Iowa was terrible. Mankato was decimated by injuries on offense yet when their what 4th string QB came in late he was eating us up. Another series or two of him in the game and that’s another loss. Pretty sure Augie was in their 3rd string QB.

I realize you guys are comparing to the previous years but I think this is a poorly coached team and we have already reached our peak with them.
          Last edited by TJE_; 09-24-2022, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I don’t agree about the defense. Upper Iowa was terrible. Mankato was decimated by injuries on offense yet when their what 4th string QB came in late he was eating us up. Another series or two of him in the game and that’s another loss. Pretty sure Augie was in their 3rd string QB.

I realize you guys are comparing to the previous years but I think this is a poorly coached team and we have already reached our peak with them.
            I'm not expert on play calling as I only played one year of football, so you could certainly be correct about that.

You seem like you may be a players parent, so could certainly have insight to personnel.

However, idk what more we could ask for. We just aren't where we need to be at the QB level and missing two studs at receiver.

I dont think the NSIC is very strong, probably due to injuries. Regardless, our two losses to two of the top (atleast) three NSIC teams. Our defense has held them all better than the others. Today's loss was a lot to do with turnovers. Very winnable game. Same for Wayne, could have but didn't. It is what it is. But very satisfied with this squad all things considered.

Comment

We’ll have to agree to disagree I guess. UIU was terrible against NSU, but has shown some competence against other teams. Wayne didn’t do much outside of a big play. Mankato was completely shut down until NSU changed the way they played defense in the 4th. Augie, including Scholten, have shown they can put up points and the defense held them to 14. If the offense had been able to even be ok, NSU could very well be 4-0 right now.

Comment

Say Augie was on their 3rd string QB all you want, they still couldn’t run the ball on our front 7. Luckily the Mankato game was 60 minutes just like every other game played and didn’t need to give them more time.

Must be some sour grapes with the coaching staff, but I think we’re a QB and having a vertical threat back at WR from being a top team in this conference. Somewhere we can’t say we’ve been in atleast 20 years. This coaching staff has things going in a great direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post

We’ll have to agree to disagree I guess. UIU was terrible against NSU, but has shown some competence against other teams. Wayne didn’t do much outside of a big play. Mankato was completely shut down until NSU changed the way they played defense in the 4th. Augie, including Scholten, have shown they can put up points and the defense held them to 14. If the offense had been able to even be ok, NSU could very well be 4-0 right now.
                  Kato has had a tough road with injuries. Not only are they on their #3 QB(freshman!!) but now are down their #1 WR and yet they have played real tough and has been in every game this year. I don’t think many teams would be sitting at 3-1 playing QB3!!! With all that said, I see a lot of parity in the league. If you don’t play your best, you will get beat. I guess my point is, everyone can go back and say” Would have could have should have”. I can’t wait until Kato plays NSU at NSU in a few years, I really want to go and see that new stadium. My son really liked the coaches at NSU during his recruitment!!

Comment

Originally posted by #WolvesNation View Post

Say Augie was on their 3rd string QB all you want, they still couldn’t run the ball on our front 7. Luckily the Mankato game was 60 minutes just like every other game played and didn’t need to give them more time.

Must be some sour grapes with the coaching staff, but I think we’re a QB and having a vertical threat back at WR from being a top team in this conference. Somewhere we can’t say we’ve been in atleast 20 years. This coaching staff has things going in a great direction.
                    Still think coaching isn’t an issue with this team?

Comment

Still think coaching isn’t an issue with this team?
                      What's the quick fix? You got solutions we'd love to hear them.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

What's the quick fix? You got solutions we'd love to hear them.
                        I have suggestions. About to head back to Aberdeen. Post more soon.

To be up 20-6 at the half against an 0-4 team and not score a single point in the second half and they score 14 unanswered is Mary making adjustments and our coaches doing nothing. Got out coached.

Comment

To be up 20-6 at the half against an 0-4 team and not score a single point in the second half and they score 14 unanswered is Mary making adjustments and our coaches doing nothing. Got out coached.
                          Unfortunately that’s standard for Northern football. I have yet to see a legit team since Coach Heupel left.

Comment

An 0-4 team with 4 one possession losses. This wasn't Upper Iowa or Crookston that isn't competitive in any games. Losses to Mankato (4-1), Wayne (4-1), and Winona (4-1). Not bad losses.

That being said, it definitely was a game we should have won. The unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after the big 3rd down sack late in the 4th quarter by Nate Robinson was a killer. I can give you the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties as being a potential coaching/discipline issue. This isn't the first time we've seen 15 yards tacked against us, especially on big plays.

Play calling has certainly been very conservative on offense, but coming off the loss at Augie where a strip sack essentially lost us the game I would have to imagine the idea in this game plan was just not to lose the game. Don't do anything to give them points on the board and keep the ball moving with positive gains.

I think what we're seeing is how bare the cupboards were at playmakers under Coach Dosch. Hopefully the underclassmen that have been recruited by Schmidt and company start to show their potential soon. The lack of vertical threat is concerning - I can't necessarily fault the play calling because I don't see a WR out there that can take the top off the defense. Noland is solid in the underneath/mid range routes but doesn't have the speed we need. Outside of him, I don't see a lot of juice on the field.

Onto Gypsy Days.... a little less excitement than one would like heading into this week.

Comment

Originally posted by #WolvesNation View Post

An 0-4 team with 4 one possession losses. This wasn't Upper Iowa or Crookston that isn't competitive in any games. Losses to Mankato (4-1), Wayne (4-1), and Winona (4-1). Not bad losses.

Onto Gypsy Days.... a little less excitement than one would like heading into this week.
                              Like several teams we have played this year, they were playing a backup QB and he won NSIC player of the week against us.

I think Fruechte is going to tear us a new you know what this weekend and we don’t have the offense to keep up.

Comment

I think Fruechte is going to tear us a new you know what this weekend and we don’t have the offense to keep up.
                                Agree to disagree. Winona's first trip to Dacotah Bank stadium with 5,500-6,000 people will be a bit of a shell shock. I think we play well at home and come out with back to back wins against Winona.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X