Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thunder View Post

This would seem to make sense given some things I’ve heard and you often seem to have pretty good information. What I don’t understand is why he is here at all this season if he won’t see the field.
    My guess is it’s a grades issue and he will play next year which is why I think he’s hanging around.

Comment

Originally posted by TJE_ View Post

My guess is it’s a grades issue and he will play next year which is why I think he’s hanging around.
      Yes, that is the issue. What I’m surprised by was that he didn’t seem interested in going to class while he was actually playing so it seems odd that he is willing to go to class now and not play. Hopefully he has grown over the last year and this second chance will be really good for both player and team.

As for our other star WR, Dakota Larson was definitely in a sling last night. I can’t imagine we will be seeing him for quite some time or at all.

Comment

Originally posted by TJE_ View Post

Good win but still very skeptical about the Wolves. Better on defense but how much better, not sure. Have not been tested at all really. Offense isn’t near what it was last year but it seems they have settled on a QB which should help.
        After a chance to sleep on last nights win this response from TJE is probably the realistic attitude to have. The D has faced a bad UIU offense and a bad Mankato offense. The Mankato QB that started last night really struggled to throw the ball. The defense did play softer in the fourth but was carved up by a true freshman. NSU did a good job against a Wayne offense that has put up points against 2 other defenses that were really bad last season as well. They are much much better than 2021, but I don’t think we really know yet if this is truly a top flight defense.

We’ve discussed the offensive difference a lot here already. It does appear by the playing time last night Madler has wrestled the job from Bonds. He will need to be better than 10-29 though. Several of those incompletions came late in the game on low percentage passes. The NSU offense became ultra conservative in the fourth and that led to some long 3rd down attempts that were just chuck it up and hope. The running game has been better than last year. I hope to see more of Block and Haskins. Brenton and Block both went down with injuries last night so hopefully they are not serious.

Special teams has not been great at times this year either. Eue has missed some makable FG and some of the punts last night were not great. The blocked punt safety oddly probably ended up being a blessing in that they only got 2 points and had further to go to get a FG. If NSU is going to be a possession team with a good D, the special teams need to be better.
        Last edited by Thunder; 09-19-2022, 06:49 AM.

Comment

No matter the circumstances, it’s nice to get the win! Nice work by the Wolves

Comment

Yes, that is the issue. What I’m surprised by was that he didn’t seem interested in going to class while he was actually playing so it seems odd that he is willing to go to class now and not play. Hopefully he has grown over the last year and this second chance will be really good for both player and team.

As for our other star WR, Dakota Larson was definitely in a sling last night. I can’t imagine we will be seeing him for quite some time or at all.
            Sounds like he may take a medical redshirt and play one more year

Comment

Not sure if I have recovered yet from the cardiac arrest that I suffered on the blocked punt. Through three games, the Wolves have forced nine turnovers. Augie has already coughed it up 5 times and had a few fumbles that they were able to jump back on top of. This gives me hope, but I think the Wolves probably need to force 2-3 turnovers to have a shot in this one as Augie is very capable of putting up some numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by unknown View Post
                Not sure if I have recovered yet from the cardiac arrest that I suffered on the blocked punt. Through three games, the Wolves have forced nine turnovers. Augie has already coughed it up 5 times and had a few fumbles that they were able to jump back on top of. This gives me hope, but I think the Wolves probably need to force 2-3 turnovers to have a shot in this one as Augie is very capable of putting up some numbers.
                A lot going in the league but after seeing Duluth/UIU and regardless what Mankato had, we held on and made it happen. I think they have to stick with Madler and let it happen. He may get better as he gains experience but 10-29 isn't anything to get amped up about. So, if they can beat Augie, year is a success and the rest is icing on the cake.

Comment

I also think Madler will be the guy going forward. He gives NSU more of a running threat and like it or not this has to be a run first and defense team. My hope is that if Madler is given the reins entirely he will gain more confidence and grow more quickly into the role. There have been times where he appears to have open receivers but hesitates a little making the throw. His accuracy hasn't been great, but neither was Bonds. If Madler can settle into the role and provide a more consistent passing threat the offense will be ok. The defense is going to have to carry this team, and I believe they are capable of doing it.

Comment

I also think Madler will be the guy going forward. He gives NSU more of a running threat and like it or not this has to be a run first and defense team. My hope is that if Madler is given the reins entirely he will gain more confidence and grow more quickly into the role. There have been times where he appears to have open receivers but hesitates a little making the throw. His accuracy hasn't been great, but neither was Bonds. If Madler can settle into the role and provide a more consistent passing threat the offense will be ok. The defense is going to have to carry this team, and I believe they are capable of doing it.
                    More than anything else I think Madler is in more command of the offense. I think he will only get better with each game.

I think we will know after this weekend what kinda team we really have.

Comment

When the bullets are real it seems Bonds really struggles. The same thing happened last year when Trautman beat him out. Madler has shown the ability to run and make some plays when things break down which keeps the defense honest. No doubt he struggled throwing the ball, especially late; however, the team responded when he came on the field. One other thing to keep in mind is I'm not sure he would have been given the "starter" reps in practice leading up to last week, which makes a difference. I think this week he will be given ALL the starter reps in practice which should help his play this Saturday.

About this week against Augie: one thing is for sure with this program under Schmidt - they play to the level of their opponent every week (for better or worse). I expect that we will be ready to play against Augie and expect a close game at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by #WolvesNation View Post
                        When the bullets are real it seems Bonds really struggles. The same thing happened last year when Trautman beat him out. Madler has shown the ability to run and make some plays when things break down which keeps the defense honest. No doubt he struggled throwing the ball, especially late; however, the team responded when he came on the field. One other thing to keep in mind is I'm not sure he would have been given the "starter" reps in practice leading up to last week, which makes a difference. I think this week he will be given ALL the starter reps in practice which should help his play this Saturday.

About this week against Augie: one thing is for sure with this program under Schmidt - they play to the level of their opponent every week (for better or worse). I expect that we will be ready to play against Augie and expect a close game at the very least.
                        So true on both points. One other thing for this week that could be a problem is the loss of Alvear for the first half. I completely get the idea for the targeting rule, but I'm still not a fan of the implementation. I didn't see any replays of the play, but watching live it seemed like the receiver was slipping/diving for the ball and that changed the target area for Alvear to hit. What would have been a hit to the midsection then became a hit that looked much worse, whether he actually made any contact with the head area I'm not sure.

Comment

Sure ending a 50+ year drought against Mankato was nice, but now it is time to end a 70 year drought to Augie.

They first played each other back in 1923.

I can still remember back in 2011 (I think). It looked like the Wolves had the game in hand. Pretty sure it was Gypsy Days. I remember friends leaving the tailgate to get to the bars early and sticking around to watch Augie Comeback and crush such high spirits.

Then again the Wolves were in SF about five or six years ago and lost a close one toward the end.

May not be totally accurate bit regardless. 70 years is too long.

Madler is listed as the starter. Time to hsve another "rise to the occasion" game.

I really do believe this game is going to be close.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                            Sure ending a 50+ year drought against Mankato was nice, but now it is time to end a 70 year drought to Augie.

They first played each other back in 1923.

I can still remember back in 2011 (I think). It looked like the Wolves had the game in hand. Pretty sure it was Gypsy Days. I remember friends leaving the tailgate to get to the bars early and sticking around to watch Augie Comeback and crush such high spirits.

Then again the Wolves were in SF about five or six years ago and lost a close one toward the end.

May not be totally accurate bit regardless. 70 years is too long.

Madler is listed as the starter. Time to hsve another "rise to the occasion" game.

I really do believe this game is going to be close.
                            Don't make it worse that it actually is...it's only been 19 years (12 games) since Northern topped the evil Vikings. I also think the Wolves can keep this game close and have a chance to pull off the upset. I think there should be a good contingent of NSU fans in attendance so hopefully they have something to cheer for.

Comment

That team from down south.. don't even like saying the university name or their mascot. A 3-1 start to the season with wins over Mankato and Augie would be the best start in a long time. I would also expect a large contingent of Wolves fans to travel south.

Comment

Don't make it worse that it actually is...it's only been 19 years (12 games) since Northern topped the evil Vikings. I also think the Wolves can keep this game close and have a chance to pull off the upset. I think there should be a good contingent of NSU fans in attendance so hopefully they have something to cheer for.
                                Really frustrating to have the history link having different info than the NSU football records data.

Ok, once in the past 70 years.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X