Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Wolves fans, how do we feel? I think most NSU supporters view a 6-5 finish as a little bit of a disappointment. Granted, 6-5 in the NSIC North is a little tougher to come by than it was a few years ago with Crookston and SCSU gone. The past 2 seasons have seen NSU defeat USF, Winona (2x), and Mankato (albeit depleted at QB). That alone would have been cause for celebration a few years ago. The losses to Mary have been extremely disappointing. We almost knocked off Bemidji last year, but have not been terribly competitive in the other 3 games with the Beavers and Duluth. However, I still always believe we will be competitive in any game on our schedule which is an improvement from pre-Schmidt.

In 2021 the offense was electric and the defense was abysmal. In 2022 the defense was really good, but the offense struggled. The offense did seem to improve as Madler and Schlicte gained valuable experience. My hope is we get some playmakers back for the 2023 season and keep the momentum going on defense. The investment into the program has lifted expectations. Coach Schmidt has also lifted expectations in the program. 2024 should be seen as a season in which the Wolves compete for a playoff spot. The Wolves need to be better than 6-5 next year, and for crying out loud beat Mary.

Comment

• Ben Noland
      @BenNoland13
      ·
      57m
      Thankful for my time at Northern State. I am now in the transfer portal and looking forward to a new challenge with the 2 years of Eligibility I have remaining.

I'm going to assume this is partly due to Ingram and Larson returning next year and maybe the depth chart not being favorable..? Thoughts NSU peeps..

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
        Ben Noland
        @BenNoland13
        ·
        57m
        Thankful for my time at Northern State. I am now in the transfer portal and looking forward to a new challenge with the 2 years of Eligibility I have remaining.

I'm going to assume this is partly due to Ingram and Larson returning next year and maybe the depth chart not being favorable..? Thoughts NSU peeps..
        Hezekiah Trotter will also be returning next year.

Comment

• Probably time to make the 2023 thread but we'll wait to see exactly how many transfer out. This is undoubtedly going to be a thing every year so hard to really look forward until around next September.

If our recievers are back, biggest question is, do we have what we need at QB? If not, can you sell a "big time" transfer talent on having two all-American level recievers back? I'm not as in depth as Thunder and Swisher so I'm sure you two can dig in more over time.

Are we disappointed in 6-5, absolutely. But as a program we are winning games that were never wins before, keeping most games close and honestly, with the big suspension and injuries to start the year AND not really knowing what we'd have in a qb, it was tough to have really high expectations.

Comment

• Starting OL Josh Witt and Jacob Schloe, WR Kaleb Skelly, LS Bobby Cleary, DL Ben Moore, TE Aidan Enneking are in the transfer portal.
            Last edited by Swisher; 11-18-2022, 12:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swisher View Post
              Starting OL Josh Witt and Jacob Schloe, WR Kaleb Skelly, LS Bobby Cleary, DL Ben Moore, TE Aidan Enneking are in the transfer portal.
              Of course they are....man, being a college coach has to be exhausting, especially in football.

Again, not saying these kids shouldn't have the right to do whatever, but again, my big pull to college sports was loving the development of players over four to five years and that is mostly gone.

It's a bummer but is what t is

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Of course they are....man, being a college coach has to be exhausting, especially in football.

Again, not saying these kids shouldn't have the right to do whatever, but again, my big pull to college sports was loving the development of players over four to five years and that is mostly gone.

Couldn't agree more. You spend the time recruiting the kid, two, three, and sometimes, four years of development, and then when you are starting to get some return on your investment, they fly off to another coup where they may, or may not, play.

Comment

• Originally posted by texcap View Post

Couldn't agree more. You spend the time recruiting the kid, two, three, and sometimes, four years of development, and then when you are starting to get some return on your investment, they fly off to another coup where they may, or may not, play.
                  Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

While this is certainly true, NSU has definitely seen the benefit of the transfer portal over the past 2 seasons as well. Marshall, Robinson, Kutterer, Chuol, Ingram, Willis, and others have come in. Would I love to cheer for the same players for 4 years? Sure. But that is not going to be the reality of college athletics any more. Coach Schmidt has embraced the portal and any coach that doesn't probably won't be a coach for long. It might take a few weeks each season to figure out who the new guys are, but if they put a Wolf on their helmet I will be happy to cheer for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post

While this is certainly true, NSU has definitely seen the benefit of the transfer portal over the past 2 seasons as well. Marshall, Robinson, Kutterer, Chuol, Ingram, Willis, and others have come in. Would I love to cheer for the same players for 4 years? Sure. But that is not going to be the reality of college athletics any more. Coach Schmidt has embraced the portal and any coach that doesn't probably won't be a coach for long. It might take a few weeks each season to figure out who the new guys are, but if they put a Wolf on their helmet I will be happy to cheer for them.
                    The emotions of being a fan tug at you when players leave. But you’re 100% spot on, and all our teams will need to embrace players come and go with the portal.

Comment

Very good take....not just for the Wolves either..this could apply to any fanbase.

Comment

Well yeah, I mean not going to cheer against your own team. All I'm saying is there isn't this build up who is coming back and what pieces are added for recruits and anticipation for the next year.

People can have whatever opinion they want on things, if people want to embrace this new era then good for them and I'm happy for them. It just doesn't do it for me personally and has really killed a lot of the old enthusiasm that used to exist. That seems to be the case with a lot of our older alumni as well, which makes sense since I've always felt I was about 40 years older than I am.

We can say that the portal has worked out, certainly individually, but we are still talking about 7-4 and 6-5. We've gotten four or five qbs (I believe) since Schmidt came through the portal and we still had two guys who were recruits as our main qbs. Again, some have been major position upgrades but much more haven't worked out. So idk. Like you said it isn't changing back. So like most of the best things in life, it's in the rear view mirror. (IMO)

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                          Ben Noland
                          @BenNoland13
                          ·
                          57m

That’s part of it but not the only reason

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Well yeah, I mean not going to cheer against your own team. All I'm saying is there isn't this build up who is coming back and what pieces are added for recruits and anticipation for the next year.

People can have whatever opinion they want on things, if people want to embrace this new era then good for them and I'm happy for them. It just doesn't do it for me personally and has really killed a lot of the old enthusiasm that used to exist. That seems to be the case with a lot of our older alumni as well, which makes sense since I've always felt I was about 40 years older than I am.

We can say that the portal has worked out, certainly individually, but we are still talking about 7-4 and 6-5. We've gotten four or five qbs (I believe) since Schmidt came through the portal and we still had two guys who were recruits as our main qbs. Again, some have been major position upgrades but much more haven't worked out. So idk. Like you said it isn't changing back. So like most of the best things in life, it's in the rear view mirror. (IMO)
                            NSU has WAY too many transfers out of the program. I get it his first couple years but at this point it’s over the top. Schmidt is clearly having problems keeping players which to me is a signal of a bigger problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by TJE_ View Post

NSU has WAY too many transfers out of the program. I get it his first couple years but at this point it’s over the top. Schmidt is clearly having problems keeping players which to me is a signal of a bigger problem.
                              Does NSU have significantly more transfers than other NSIC schools? NSU undoubtedly has more transfers than it did 5-10 years ago, but everybody does. It stinks losing 2 very good OL last year and it would appear 2 more very good young OL this year, but if they have the opportunity to go to bigger schools you can’t really fault them.

Comment

Does NSU have significantly more transfers than other NSIC schools? NSU undoubtedly has more transfers than it did 5-10 years ago, but everybody does. It stinks losing 2 very good OL last year and it would appear 2 more very good young OL this year, but if they have the opportunity to go to bigger schools you can’t really fault them.
                                I was told recently that yes NSU has quite a bit more than other NSIC schools.

The OL leaving this year. One is leaving because the degree he is pursuing is not offered at NSU and the other is going to walk on at an FBS school.

Bohle was smart to leave last year as he is playing at Arizona St. The other player that went to North Dakota I don’t think is playing at all.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X