Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This probably should go on a new thread, but eh. There is no way to really know, and I'm not sure Northern's 2023 QB is even on the roster yet...but let's get reckless. The Wolves probably draw as easy of schedule as you can have in the NSIC, missing both Mankato and USF. Duluth and Augie are both in Aberdeen. Dare I say its time for Coach Schmidt to deliver on the hope he has brought to NSU? I say 9-2 is a realistic expectation for next season. Go ahead, call me crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post
      This probably should go on a new thread, but eh. There is no way to really know, and I'm not sure Northern's 2023 QB is even on the roster yet...but let's get reckless. The Wolves probably draw as easy of schedule as you can have in the NSIC, missing both Mankato and USF. Duluth and Augie are both in Aberdeen. Dare I say its time for Coach Schmidt to deliver on the hope he has brought to NSU? I say 9-2 is a realistic expectation for next season. Go ahead, call me crazy.
      Considering our recent history's, I'd rather play Mankato and USF than Duluth and Bemidji, haha (I know you can't not play division opponents)

If Karst doesn't come in, I think its safe to assume Vespo is QB1 but, for whatever reason i thought Max Thompson would be some golden goose of a recruit. He certainly could turn out to be and I hope he does, but with this roster, I sure hope we can have some serious experience. Karst would do that more than any qb we have.

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Considering our recent history's, I'd rather play Mankato and USF than Duluth and Bemidji, haha (I know you can't not play division opponents)

If Karst doesn't come in, I think its safe to assume Vespo is QB1 but, for whatever reason i thought Max Thompson would be some golden goose of a recruit. He certainly could turn out to be and I hope he does, but with this roster, I sure hope we can have some serious experience. Karst would do that more than any qb we have.
        Completely agree on Mankato/USF or Duluth/Bemidji. NSU needs to find a way to beat those teams somehow. I had heard Karst got offered by USD so perhaps there are some more D1 offers in his future. Rumor is that if he chooses a D2 school it would be Northern, but the D1 temptation may be too much to resist.

Comment

Completely agree on Mankato/USF or Duluth/Bemidji. NSU needs to find a way to beat those teams somehow. I had heard Karst got offered by USD so perhaps there are some more D1 offers in his future. Rumor is that if he chooses a D2 school it would be Northern, but the D1 temptation may be too much to resist.
          This will sound like head in the clouds thinking, but with what we have returning, it has to be a simple pitch. We haven't won a conference title in 20+ years, we haven't been in a playoff game. You can cement a legacy by being the missing piece that leads Northern to a historic season. If it all works out, then you can move on or see if we have what it takes to do it again the following season.

Comment

• Welp, there goes our QB1.

I just don't see us having someone to take this talented offense over the hump. Remain optimistic but incredibly disappointing.

Comment

Welp, there goes our QB1.

I just don't see us having someone to take this talented offense over the hump. Remain optimistic but incredibly disappointing.
              Yeah, that was disappointing news over the weekend. Supposedly people who know thought he would be here if he chose D2, I guess he found somewhere he liked better. Maybe he read the unhinged board postings here from some of their fans and thought it sounded like fun...

Comment

• It’s been interesting over the last week or so to see they hype tweets sent out by members of the coaching staff regarding guys this spring. Obviously, the QB spot is of the most interest to Wolves fans. I’ve seen Schlichte mention Vespo at QB, but perhaps the biggest head turner is that Jacob Van Landingham has joined the QB room. I’m really not sure what to make of that.

Comment

It’s been interesting over the last week or so to see they hype tweets sent out by members of the coaching staff regarding guys this spring. Obviously, the QB spot is of the most interest to Wolves fans. I’ve seen Schlichte mention Vespo at QB, but perhaps the biggest head turner is that Jacob Van Landingham has joined the QB room. I’m really not sure what to make of that.
                  I believe years ago he was a HS QB or went to Virginia Tech as one, I can't remember.

Somebody once eluded to the fact that our vest qb last year wasn't even playing qb...maybe this is what he was referring to? Idk. I'm just really dissapointed we didnt bring an experienced qb.

Comment

I believe years ago he was a HS QB or went to Virginia Tech as one, I can't remember.

Somebody once eluded to the fact that our vest qb last year wasn't even playing qb...maybe this is what he was referring to? Idk. I'm just really dissapointed we didnt bring an experienced qb.
                    I don’t think that door is necessarily closed. There is still a lot of portaling to occur before fall camp opens.

Comment

Wonder who could have said that....hmmmm.

Anyone see the spring game Saturday?

Comment

• Originally posted by TJE_ View Post

Wonder who could have said that....hmmmm.

Anyone see the spring game Saturday?
                        You I'm guessing?

I didnt but everything I heard was defense is fantastic again and offense isnt looking great at qb.

Comment

You I'm guessing?

I didnt but everything I heard was defense is fantastic again and offense isnt looking great at qb.
                          As is the case with a lot of spring games, hard to get a real good read as a lot of guys didnt play. On Offense a couple starting lineman as well as Dway and Dakota did not play. On defense several starters didnt play like Ian and Grozinger.

First two drives Vespo was at QB. Moved the ball well. Scored on one of them. The next six to 8 drives Van Landingham played and he was able to be tackled so they could see what he could do running the ball as well. Had a few good passes one of them probably would have been a TD if not dropped. Ran the ball quite a bit and was very impactful there. One run was for 60 yards or so. I am guessing he ran for over 100 yards

So I would say with two all american receivers back this year, offense may be a in pretty good shape.

Defense struggled to stop the QB running when Van Landingham was in but other than that looked pretty good I thought. Last years strength was really at LB so we are not as strong there this year. Word on the street is Nate Rob may come back for more season. If so, that would be HUGE. Should be better at Dline.

Comment

As is the case with a lot of spring games, hard to get a real good read as a lot of guys didnt play. On Offense a couple starting lineman as well as Dway and Dakota did not play. On defense several starters didnt play like Ian and Grozinger.

First two drives Vespo was at QB. Moved the ball well. Scored on one of them. The next six to 8 drives Van Landingham played and he was able to be tackled so they could see what he could do running the ball as well. Had a few good passes one of them probably would have been a TD if not dropped. Ran the ball quite a bit and was very impactful there. One run was for 60 yards or so. I am guessing he ran for over 100 yards

So I would say with two all american receivers back this year, offense may be a in pretty good shape.

Defense struggled to stop the QB running when Van Landingham was in but other than that looked pretty good I thought. Last years strength was really at LB so we are not as strong there this year. Word on the street is Nate Rob may come back for more season. If so, that would be HUGE. Should be better at Dline.
                            Much better insight than anything I'd heard, haha. Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the info, unfortunately I wasn't able to make it last Saturday. I have heard very little about it, other than the clip going around of the walk-on OL that was awarded a scholarship. That was a neat video if you haven't seen it. The rumor I've heard is that the staff is still working the portal in search of another QB. If I had to make a bet, I would say the QB that takes the most snaps next season probably is not on campus yet.

Comment

Thanks for the info, unfortunately I wasn't able to make it last Saturday. I have heard very little about it, other than the clip going around of the walk-on OL that was awarded a scholarship. That was a neat video if you haven't seen it. The rumor I've heard is that the staff is still working the portal in search of another QB. If I had to make a bet, I would say the QB that takes the most snaps next season probably is not on campus yet.
                                I do believe they will bring in one more QB but I dont think he will be the starter. I am pretty sure it will either be Vespo or Van Landingham or maybe a combination of the two as they bring different skill sets. It appears there is a pretty big drop off talent wise after those two so they could use some depth. Also, if Vespo is the clear cut QB1 they will move Van Landingham around to other positions to get him the ball. He wont stand on the sidelines. So they will certainly need another QB hopefully with experience in case he was to get hurt.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X