Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't someone post something about Upper Iowa looking to leave? I don't remember the entire context, but was about switching conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
      Didn't someone post something about Upper Iowa looking to leave? I don't remember the entire context, but was about switching conferences.
      There's been a board rumor, though I don't know how valid it is (and it very well could be valid, I just don't recall the source off-hand).

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
        Upper Iowa to the GLVC - D2 Message Board (d2football.com) I saw it on Twitter too. Possible but still just a rumor.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
          There's no Augie decision to consider here. The rules are that Augie can't go D1 without a conference invite. They didn't get an invite from the Summit League (the only D1 conference that makes any sense for Augie whatsoever). There is no "moving to D1 without an invitation" as realignmentreport1 suggested because D1 doesn't allow independent move-ups like they did 10-15 years ago when SDSU/USD/NDSU/UND moved up out of the NCC. The MVFC would be a basically insurmountable mountain to climb if they tried to go that route (not that the MVFC would let them in anyway), and that still doesn't solve Augie's non-football situation anyway, and other than D1 hockey, individual sports aren't allowed to go D1 while the rest of the athletic department stays D2. So there's really no tangible solution for Augie to go D1.
          Well duh, obviously an invitation has to come first. But if one comes, then there is a decision to make.

Comment

While I haven't dug into the UIU situation in great depth, and they don't have local media to cover it either....I've heard from sources the idea of them moving to the GLVC has more chance of happening than not. If I recall, there's a fall vote in the GLVC and they could be discussed and potentially voted on then. UIU is more in-line with peer institutions in the GLVC and probably a little less overall travel = UIndy is like 6.5 hours from Fayette, whereas Minot is about 11 hours in the NSIC for them..and such.

The Augie thing seems like a wait and see prospect..as it's unlikely any D1 invite will make a lot of dollars and cents (crazy travel) unless it's the Summit..which would leave football up in the air. The Pioneer would be calling..but I don't think they are excited about that, while the Valley doesn't seem to place a lot of value in them being a member. Overall, it feels for now like the Summit ship has sailed and that Augie is D2 unless something attractive pops up..with nothing seemingly on the immediate horizon.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Well duh, obviously an invitation has to come first. But if one comes, then there is a decision to make.
              My point was more to say that, based on how it went with the Summit League and the direction Augie's athletic department has committed to going, any other NSIC school (Mankato, for example) is just as likely to get a D1 invitation as Augie at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                While I haven't dug into the UIU situation in great depth, and they don't have local media to cover it either....I've heard from sources the idea of them moving to the GLVC has more chance of happening than not. If I recall, there's a fall vote in the GLVC and they could be discussed and potentially voted on then. UIU is more in-line with peer institutions in the GLVC and probably a little less overall travel = UIndy is like 6.5 hours from Fayette, whereas Minot is about 11 hours in the NSIC for them..and such.
                So just as a fun hypothetical, let's say Upper Iowa departs and Jamestown joins. How does that affect travel partners in hoops?
                Current setup
                North: MSUM/Northern, BSU/UMC, UMD/CSP, Mary/Minot
                South: SMSU/USF, Augie/Wayne, UIU/Winona, CSP/Mankato

Potential setup
                North: Mary/Minot, Jamestown/Northern, MSUM/UMC, BSU/UMD
                South: SCSU/CSP, WSU/MSU, SMSU/USF, Augie/WSC

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

My point was more to say that, based on how it went with the Summit League and the direction Augie's athletic department has committed to going, any other NSIC school (Mankato, for example) is just as likely to get a D1 invitation as Augie at this point.
                  My money is on Crookston.

What's the buzz in Sioux Falls over D1 hockey?

Comment

From what I understand on Augustana, is there is some bad blood with the Dakota Summit League members from the NCC days which doesn't help Augustana's Summit cause.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

My money is on Crookston.

I, for one, welcome our Golden Eagle overlords.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

With the stadium construction in full swing and the announcement of the Notre Dame games it's definitely picking up. I met the hockey coach at the Kid's Club Kickoff event earlier this week and he's a good dude. He said more game announcements with big name schools would be coming.

Comment

Originally posted by realignmentreport1 View Post
                          From what I understand on Augustana, is there is some bad blood with the Dakota Summit League members from the NCC days which doesn't help Augustana's Summit cause.
                          Shocker.

They kicked the living crap out of Augie in every sport for most of the NCC's existence. Now Augie is spending real money on sports/facilities/etc and seeing that translate into widespread athletic success. State schools are scurrrrrrred. The next opportunity for Augie would be if/when Western Illinois finds a new home.

Comment

Originally posted by IceBoxDragon View Post

I, for one, welcome our Golden Eagle overlords.
                            Only thing that might prevent it, in my view, is the mothership not wanting to share the spotlight with the mighty Golden Eagles.

Comment

Formed in 1992, the NSIC is 30 years old in 2022.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X