Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AUGUSTANA VIKINGS 2022

As this season approaches rapidly all freshmen have their photos and bios are on the athletic website and I assume will be moving into the dorms soon. A bit of a surprise includes a graduate transfer quarterback with two years of eligibility left named Casey Bauman. A big kid at 6'6" 230lbs. from Montana St. the FCS. national runner-ups to NDSU. He has a very strong arm. It appears he had 3 FCS offers and several D2 offers including SMSU and MN. ST. Mankato.

Casey Bauman (@cbauman10) / Twitter

Casey Bauman - Football - Augustana University Athletics (goaugie.com)

Last edited by vikingfaithful; 07-22-2022, 04:17 PM.

Will be interesting to see who comes out of camp as QB1.

Comment

Seems like that QB room is stacked! Lots of big bodies and big arms. I can only imagine that Coach Schrenk is like a kid in a candy store with these guys...

Connor as a senior with four years in the system and lots of game experience in the NSIC.

Bauman as a grad transfer junior with lots of life in his arm and feet.

The two sophomores in Scholten who is a former South Dakota AAA State Champion, and Robinson who has time at the FBS level.

Then the two freshmen apparently are pretty salty too. Bearth is a big (6-4 200+) dude who is a high completion percentage guy. Gunnar Hensley, the freshman from California who was hurt his senior season and wasn't able to showcase how good he really is. Gonna be a great group to try and replace the production of Mr. Saddler.

Ready for some football!!!

Comment

Does anybody know when fall practice starts?

Vikings got an Iowa State U. transfer LB. Kade Lynott from just over the border in Hawarden, IA. Augustana and many other D2 schools recruited him heavily in 2019, he chose to walk-on at ISU to join his cousin Hunter Dekkers the most likely QB starter for the Cyclones. Kade put up monster numbers in High School. Kade Lynott - Football - Augustana University Athletics (goaugie.com)

There are 6 QB's on the roster vying for the starting position. I would think 5th year senior Conner Neill is in the driver's seat or maybe Montana St. grad transfer Casey Bauman.

Read Sioux Falls received 5.41 inches of rain Sunday, that's a healthy rain!

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
          Does anybody know when fall practice starts?
          My understanding is that Fall Camp started yesterday in earnest. I assume there is an acclimatization process for a few days in just helmets and shorts before pads go on, but not sure what length of time that would be. Hadn't heard anything about Lynott but just from his bio and twitter, he is a pretty athletic kid.

Comment

Originally posted by WPHB View Post
            Seems like that QB room is stacked! Lots of big bodies and big arms. I can only imagine that Coach Schrenk is like a kid in a candy store with these guys...

Connor as a senior with four years in the system and lots of game experience in the NSIC.

Bauman as a grad transfer junior with lots of life in his arm and feet.

The two sophomores in Scholten who is a former South Dakota AAA State Champion, and Robinson who has time at the FBS level.

Then the two freshmen apparently are pretty salty too. Bearth is a big (6-4 200+) dude who is a high completion percentage guy. Gunnar Hensley, the freshman from California who was hurt his senior season and wasn't able to showcase how good he really is. Gonna be a great group to try and replace the production of Mr. Saddler.

Ready for some football!!!
            With the backups of years past not getting a lot of reps, and Bauman coming in with 3 starts against competition the likes of Texas Tech (when at Montana State)....I'm guessing that if he can grasp the playbook, he's the guy to beat. His upside is pretty strong for our level and can get the ball downfield like Schrenk prefers. I wouldn't call him a runner, but he showed the ability to scoot when needed.

Here's some game action from when he started the 2019 campaign as the Bobcats signal caller..
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ihnw45YKE&t=4s

Here is some perspective on his past..
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWcdvr_EXns

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

With the backups of years past not getting a lot of reps, and Bauman coming in with 3 starts against competition the likes of Texas Tech (when at Montana State)....I'm guessing that if he can grasp the playbook, he's the guy to beat. His upside is pretty strong for our level and can get the ball downfield like Schrenk prefers. I wouldn't call him a runner, but he showed the ability to scoot when needed.

Here's some game action from when he started the 2019 campaign as the Bobcats signal caller..
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ihnw45YKE&t=4s

Here is some perspective on his past..
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWcdvr_EXns
              I'm about the farthest thing in the world from a football expert (or an expert of any kind for that matter), but the kid sure looks like an athlete in that news story footage. Should be fun to see what he can do on the field for the Vikes this year.

Comment

Thursday evening in St. Paul against Concordia U. the Vikings defense was stout against an apparent improved CSP offense.
                AU rushing was outstanding including our tall athletic QB who runs very well. Jarod Epperson and David Addo are a force toting the ball. The glaring weakness was in the throwing part. Casey Bauman has not played in a game since 2019 and it showed in his passes, history says he will get better, hopefully by next week against Bemidji.

Defensively Augie was strong. Eli Weber 2 interceptions and T.J. Liggett 9 tackles followed by Haden Wallace and Peyton Buckley with 7. I thought there would have more been more then 1 sack, but the DL spent much time in CSP backfield.

Next week AU faces a tough task against a great passing team in Bemidji, the same team that ended Augie's playoff run 10 months ago. Coach Jim Heinitz used to say teams improve most from week 1 to week 2.

Comment

Vikings DB's will be put to the test Saturday against Bemidji who passed for 368 yards on 48 attempts with 29 completions along with 3 int's. Beavers only ran for 68 yards. This is the same team that beat the Vikings last November 28-24 in the 1st. round of playoffs.

Augustana's big, experienced OL made way for 258 yds. of rushing at 6 yds. per run and 2 TD's. Pass game was weak 7 completions on 14 attempts for 62 YD's with 2 TD's and 2 INT's. Will be hard to beat the Beavers with an anemic passing game.

I expect Augie to play very well at home and our 6'7" QB throw the ball more effectively. The defense will be jacked for this game and believe the Vikings will win.

Comment

Watching from afar with the sound off, it appeared that Bauman was still getting rust off, but the game seemed to slow down for him as it progressed. The game did not feel as close as the score indicated. Always felt that Augie was one or two drives away from just dominating the game and minus two offensive miscues, they really never were in a bad position as far as the outcome. Liked what I saw in the play calling and taking what was given. Will have to go back a rewatch, but seemed like OL was dang near perfect for three seconds every play. The final tally of 14 attempts was not what I expected for my first Augie game, but again...if they give you the run, you take the run and go home with a win. Agree wholeheartedly on week one to week two being the biggest growth.

Now, lets go skin some beavers.

Comment

So I was visiting with my son yesterday and he told me that the Northern / Augie rivalry is fairly massive. He seemed to think that there was a significant level of dislike between the two teams/schools/fan bases/towns. As we are not South Dakotans, I was wondering if this rivalry was greater than the USF rivalry. Is this rivalry born out of football or other sports or just genuine in-state issues?

Comment

So I was visiting with my son yesterday and he told me that the Northern / Augie rivalry is fairly massive. He seemed to think that there was a significant level of dislike between the two teams/schools/fan bases/towns. As we are not South Dakotans, I was wondering if this rivalry was greater than the USF rivalry. Is this rivalry born out of football or other sports or just genuine in-state issues?
                        Generally speaking, every Northern State fan wishes desperately that they had gone to Augie.

(I'm kidding. But sometimes I think every Northern State fan thinks that's what every Augie fan thinks about them.)

I think many of the state schools in the area (including SDSU/USD back when they were still D2, but especially Northern now that those two schools are D1), Augie is seen as the spoiled/uppity private school full of entitled kids and that seems to bother them. It doesn't help that in the last 10-15 years Augie has really focused on and invested in athletics and has continued to stay near or at the top of the all-sports standing in the conference most years.

As far as USF goes, the Cougars were NAIA up until... 2010? Something like that. And Augie and USF basically hadn't played each other in football for, like, 30 or 40 years or something until USF jumped to D2, So most of the Augie grads I know basically never played USF and never really developed any "rivalry" with the Cougars. They mostly looked down on USF as an inferior NAIA team, even when USF was regularly competing for and winning national championships at that level. Augie basketball did play USF a handful of times before USF jumped to D2 but I believe Augie won all of those games, so even that didn't really develop a rivalry.

Coincidentally, USF has a very good record against Augie in football since going D2, but I think Augie fans in general still see them as the "little brother," not a true rival.

In a lot of ways, I think Augie fans still really see USD and SDSU as their rivals, even though they haven't played either school in 15+ years now and likely never will again (unless USD and SDSU's athletic departments grow some stones and play Augie in basketball in the future, but I doubt that will ever happen).

Comment

Speaking as a Northern fan, I would say currently Augie would probably our biggest rival. This is mostly born from the competitive nature of the men's basketball games played since Augie joined the NSIC. The football games have mostly been a hammer vs. nail situation. The public vs. private institution also contributes somewhat to the nature of the rivalry as well. Perhaps the biggest factor is the Sioux Falls vs. the rest of South Dakota nature of the schools. As a lifelong South Dakotan, there is a feeling by many that the city of Sioux Falls looks down upon the rest of the state. It is a great community and due to the size compared to everybody else they host most of the big events in the state, but everyone else does sometimes get sick of hearing how great Sioux Falls is.

The quotes from the 2 coaches this week have been telling as well. Coach Schmidt has made it clear that this is a big game and he wants a big crowd of NSU fans to show up. He played up the in-state rivalry and the fact that we haven't had much success against Augie. Coach O basically made it seem like, yes this is a game against a good opponent, but it is not any bigger than most games. Part of that may be because Augie has the Key to the City game next week, but it also shows the differences in personality of the 2 coaches.

My hunch is most Augie fans would tell you the USF rivalry is much stronger, especially in football.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                            In a lot of ways, I think Augie fans still really see USD and SDSU as their rivals, even though they haven't played either school in 15+ years now and likely never will again (unless USD and SDSU's athletic departments grow some stones and play Augie in basketball in the future, but I doubt that will ever happen).
                            This part also bugs a lot of NSU fans. Augie fans always give off the air of superiority that they are so much better than the lowly D2 schools around them. Many NSU fans took great pleasure in Augie getting a dose of reality from the Summit League.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post

This part also bugs a lot of NSU fans. Augie fans always give off the air of superiority that they are so much better than the lowly D2 schools around them. Many NSU fans took great pleasure in Augie getting a dose of reality from the Summit League.
                              Next year's hockey season should be interesting for the same reason.

I would say those games against St. Thomas would be interesting given the Summit League connection, but I know they'll be a snooze fest. *yawn*

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X