Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NSIC fans....I've been working on my preview. Writeups for 9 of the 14 teams are done. I made time to contact all 14 head coaches for a chat before drumming up my own take on who'd finish where this year..and why. My column will be wrapped up within a week..and posted here. FYI.

Curious....if you super fans here were to rank the teams this year (based on how you think they'll finish)....what's your order? Does Mankato return to the top or maybe Duluth....or do Augie and BSU have the top spots this year again?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
      NSIC fans....I've been working on my preview. Writeups for 9 of the 14 teams are done. I made time to contact all 14 head coaches for a chat before drumming up my own take on who'd finish where this year..and why. My column will be wrapped up within a week..and posted here. FYI.

Curious....if you super fans here were to rank the teams this year (based on how you think they'll finish)....what's your order? Does Mankato return to the top or maybe Duluth....or do Augie and BSU have the top spots this year again?
      It's just my gut feeling, but I think MSU will be better - but won't be the #1 we've been so accustomed to seeing. Augie will be #1.

Comment

8-10 wins
        1. Augie
        2. Bemidji
        3. USF
        4. Mankato
        5. Duluth

4-7 wins
        6. Northern
        7. Winona
        8. Wayne
        9. Mary
        10. Moorhead

0-3 wins
        11. SMSU
        12. Concordia
        13. Minot
        14. Upper Iowa

Comment

Not surprised where SMSU was rated given the turnover, new coach, and disappointing season last year.

On the plus side, If theline is good we can play. 3 starters rutrn on the line so i am optimistic we will be better there. Sherwood can run and if we get some blocking that should help.

Also, as a reminder, last year was the first time in 2 decades we didn't have a lock down awesome qb. We have 2 good ones this year battling it out. My money is on Justus McComb ultimately being the guy who wins the job long term, but I think both will play quite a bit this year as this sorts itself out.

Last year we could hardly run and we couldn't pass. At least in the pass when the run game struggled we could throw it around and score.

Bringing back Boyer Bauman is also a good move.

Having said all that best case scenario is probably 6-5 if everything goes well. The South is just so loaded and the re are unknowns.

I think it is also clear Underwood can coach. before his budget and funding and scholarships were cut, SCSU was pretty good.

Comment

I have sneaky suspicion this will be the year of the Cougar in the South. In yesterday's Argus Leader story on fall practice the Coo are determined not to have an early season gaff that's plagued them recently. QB Mullen enters his 2nd season starting and the league's best RB Thuro Reisdorfer is playing his last college season, USF had the top defense last season only giving up 20 points a game.

Augustana has all the pieces to repeat as the overall league champion, The big question is at QB play after 4 mostly up years of Texas gunslinger Kyle Saddler there will be a new sheriff under center, if the play is very good the Vikings could repeat.

Don't know much about the Mavericks except their 6-5 season was probably an anomaly for the NSIC historically best program along with UMD.

Having little knowledge of UMD or BSU, I'm sure they will both challenge for the league trophy. Thankfully our media leader Matt Witwicki will fill us in with his much-anticipated FB preview. The man put's a great deal of time for us. He would be a terrific SID.

My guess.
            AU. 9-2, USF. 9-2, MSU 8-3
            UMD 9-2, BSU 8-3

The growth in parity has been enjoyable in recent years, Mary, Moorhead, Northern, Wayne and Winona.
            Once it was the big 2, (UMD, MSU) now has grown to big 5.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
              I have sneaky suspicion this will be the year of the Cougar in the South. In yesterday's Argus Leader story on fall practice the Coo are determined not to have an early season gaff that's plagued them recently. QB Mullen enters his 2nd season starting and the league's best RB Thuro Reisdorfer is playing his last college season, USF had the top defense last season only giving up 20 points a game.

Augustana has all the pieces to repeat as the overall league champion, The big question is at QB play after 4 mostly up years of Texas gunslinger Kyle Saddler there will be a new sheriff under center, if the play is very good the Vikings could repeat.

Don't know much about the Mavericks except their 6-5 season was probably an anomaly for the NSIC historically best program along with UMD.

Having little knowledge of UMD or BSU, I'm sure they will both challenge for the league trophy. Thankfully our media leader Matt Witwicki will fill us in with his much-anticipated FB preview. The man put's a great deal of time for us. He would be a terrific SID.

My guess.
              UMD 9-2, BSU 8-3

The growth in parity has been enjoyable in recent years, Mary, Moorhead, Northern, Wayne and Winona.
              Very astute post. I think that the title runs through the home of Joe Foss. We could have the top teams knocking each other off.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                Not surprised where SMSU was rated given the turnover, new coach, and disappointing season last year.

On the plus side, If theline is good we can play. 3 starters rutrn on the line so i am optimistic we will be better there. Sherwood can run and if we get some blocking that should help.

Also, as a reminder, last year was the first time in 2 decades we didn't have a lock down awesome qb. We have 2 good ones this year battling it out. My money is on Justus McComb ultimately being the guy who wins the job long term, but I think both will play quite a bit this year as this sorts itself out.

Last year we could hardly run and we couldn't pass. At least in the pass when the run game struggled we could throw it around and score.

Bringing back Boyer Bauman is also a good move.

Having said all that best case scenario is probably 6-5 if everything goes well. The South is just so loaded and the re are unknowns.

I think it is also clear Underwood can coach. before his budget and funding and scholarships were cut, SCSU was pretty good.
                Sounds like there is a social/open practice on Monday? I'm planning to make the drive over, at least for the practice part.

SMSU QBs... always a show. I'm hoping whoever becomes "our guy" can be a leader for a few years. Seems like we haven't really had for the past 3-4 years.

I'm cautiously optimistic this year. Underwood impressed me at the spring game with his leadership, so I'm hoping between that and the new roster - maybe it won't be such a dull season. Then again, I thought the same thing every year since 2014, and...

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

1. Augustana
                  2. MSU Mankato
                  3. UM Duluth
                  4. Sioux Falls
                  5. Bemidji
                  6. MSU Moorhead
                  7. Northern
                  8. Winona
                  9. Wayne
                  10. Mary
                  11. SMSU
                  12. Concordia SP
                  13. Upper Iowa
                  14. Minot

Comment

Comment

My guess.
                      UMD 9-2, BSU 8-3

I tend to agree with you on USF

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Sounds like there is a social/open practice on Monday? I'm planning to make the drive over, at least for the practice part.

SMSU QBs... always a show. I'm hoping whoever becomes "our guy" can be a leader for a few years. Seems like we haven't really had for the past 3-4 years.

I'm cautiously optimistic this year. Underwood impressed me at the spring game with his leadership, so I'm hoping between that and the new roster - maybe it won't be such a dull season. Then again, I thought the same thing every year since 2014, and...
                        It's only been 1 year on the QB. Boyer Bauman had a great year in 2019 -- he missed 2 games because of injuries - or maybe would have throw for 3000 yards.

no season in 2020... so just 2021 where the QB play was bad

Comment

It's only been 1 year on the QB. Boyer Bauman had a great year in 2019 -- he missed 2 games because of injuries - or maybe would have throw for 3000 yards.

SW hired an excellent head coach in Scott Underwood, he produced good W/L seasons with little support financially and always under contraction threats. Plus their stadium was antiquated with little community support. Give him 2-3 years to gain traction and the Mustangs will be competitive.

Comment

Good points. It felt like a lot longer ago with Gimbel finishing up - though that was only in 2018. I must have been thinking of it in MAY (Mustang Athletic Years).

Definitely a fan of Bouman and certainly appreciate his contributions. A real Mustang if there ever was one. Happy that he's back on the sidelines - especially after spending last year with USD.

And yes, was definitely not impressed with last year's QB. I gave him way too much leeway during the season. Very little experience as a leader, and maybe this is just me - but he felt like one of those FBS transfers that was "too good for D2." I'm ready to move on, and will have much greater expectations this year.

Comment

SW hired an excellent head coach in Scott Underwood, he produced good W/L seasons with little support financially and always under contraction threats. Plus their stadium was antiquated with little community support. Give him 2-3 years to gain traction and the Mustangs will be competitive.
                              The new fixtures at the stadium do look nice. I snuck in for a sneak peak of the turf last night, and the goal posts really do stand out.

Now if we could just get a new videoboard... hmm...

Comment

Augustana
                                Bemidji
                                Duluth
                                Northern
                                Sioux Falls
                                Mankato
                                Mary
                                Winona
                                Wayne
                                Southwest
                                Moorhead