Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy smokes, 40-17 record and fired? There must have been some behind the scenes things going on. Anyone on the inside at USF have any add'l info? A bit of a shocker I'd say!

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post
      ... Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Young work with Deboer at some point. ...
      If you are referring to Bob Young and Kalen DeBoer, then yes. DeBoer was a wide receiver from '93 to '96 under Young, then in 1997 became a student assistant. DeBoer left for a couple years to help coach high school football, then returned to be USF's offensive coordinator from 2000 to 2004. When Young retired after the 2004 season DeBoer was promoted to head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post
        If you are referring to Bob Young and Kalen DeBoer, then yes. DeBoer was a wide receiver from '93 to '96 under Young, then in 1997 became a student assistant. DeBoer left for a couple years to help coach high school football, then returned to be USF's offensive coordinator from 2000 to 2004. When Young retired after the 2004 season DeBoer was promoted to head coach.
        I apologize, I meant Anderson worked with Deboer. I read an ESPN article that said Deboer was proud of Anderson. I believe Anderson was on the staff when Deboer was there. I agree with Peacock, get the feeling there could have been some behind the scenes things going on that triggered the change.

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

I apologize, I meant Anderson worked with Deboer. I read an ESPN article that said Deboer was proud of Anderson. I believe Anderson was on the staff when Deboer was there. I agree with Peacock, get the feeling there could have been some behind the scenes things going on that triggered the change.
          Oh, gotcha. Anderson was part of USF's coaching staff in various roles from 2002 through 2012, so yes he was there during DeBoer's tenure as head coach. I believe Anderson was the special team's coach under DeBoer, but don't quote me on that.

My gut also tells me there were issues other than just win/loss record but I have no evidence to support or refute that idea. I'll let others closer to the inner sanctum weigh in with any information they have rather than me speculating.

Comment

This is more than wins and losses. Eventually someone needs to be accountable for the culture and discipline issues that we experience on game day. Unsportsmanlike penalties, poor end of game management and situations in the locker room all roll up to the head coach eventually. I am looking forward to seeing the next leader at USF. Go COO.

Comment

Dusty H???? I agree with Smithers' assessment. The two meltdowns at Winona and home to Wayne is more about all aspects of coaching than anything else. Also, in 2021 USF had an offense that seemed to be 3 plays......2022 new OC and same thing all over again. The offensive play calling left a lot to be desired. The new coach has a lot of work to do considering how tough the top of the conference is. Mankato is back, Bemidji and Duluth tough and Winona and Wayne will be tough for a long time. I also think Augie will be better next year.

Comment

If they keep it "in the family", does Benedetto have a better resume than Hovorka?

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                  If they keep it "in the family", does Benedetto have a better resume than Hovorka?
                  I can not see Benedetto leaving a Co-Defensive Coordinator job at a DI school to come back and coach. Feels like a step backward. If they do get him, that would be one of the most impressive hires I can remember to date in the NSIC.

Comment

Benedetto's brother just won the AAA HS championship.........no one really challenge them all season...........Maybe both of them?

Comment

Can someone give me the short story on both of these guys?

Comment

I just read Anderson's goodbye. He listed out all of his accomplishments. Never seen an HC do that after getting let go.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                          I just read Anderson's goodbye. He listed out all of his accomplishments. Never seen an HC do that after getting let go.
                          I just saw that on Twitter. Glad I am not the only one who thought that was a bit different. I imagine those types of things are never easy, so I am not blaming or even criticizing, just different. And to be honest has quite the list of accomplishments for his next HC job.

Comment

It is a hilarious goodbye letter. My favorite part is the "no major NCAA violations or misconduct"

Congrats on following the rules!

https://twitter.com/CooCoachA/status..._fmDsFkow&s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                              Me personally would not mind this but I don't see it happening

Comment

Originally posted by WPHB View Post

I just saw that on Twitter. Glad I am not the only one who thought that was a bit different. I imagine those types of things are never easy, so I am not blaming or even criticizing, just different. And to be honest has quite the list of accomplishments for his next HC job.
                                Thought it was an odd "goodbye". Sounds like a defense against future allegations of wrongdoing.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X