Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post
    My hunch is USF wouldn't have fired Anderson if they didn't already have his replacement ready to go.
    Agreed. I can't wait for that person's head coaching record to be non-existent or worse than Anderson's run at USF.

Comment

• Coaching can be an incredibly rewarding or disruptive profession. When a head coach loses his job there is a ripple effect as assistant coaches generally are fired as well. Wives, children must move or all find new professions. Jon Anderson and staff are good people, I pray they all land on their feet with minimal hardships.

Comment

• Originally posted by WPHB View Post
        Whether or not they are interested in new coaching bloodlines in the system, two parts of the Keloland article stuck out to me.....wins are about more than athletic records, but also encompassing teaching young men to be productive in the world AND that they were placing a very short window of time on themselves to get the hire made.

As to the first part, cannot imagine anyone disagreeing with that point, but has that been a problem for USF previously?

As to the second point, putting such an artificially short deadline on a coaching hire seems like desperation. USF appears to be a really good athletic program with a good tradition and good kids. Would hate for them to take steps backward just to satisfy a timeline that isn't really necessary. Kids transfer all the time. In and out. If you are really wanting to build a program of good men teaching others to be good men, then why not take your time and be sure you get the right folks? Or do they already know who they want?
        The article is pretty vague in terms of providing a timeline; Gohl mentions that in the era of the transfer portal, it is more beneficial to act quickly. So creating an “artificially short deadline” when USF has traditionally been more involved with FCS transfers than other NSIC programs makes sense for heightened urgency as the whole process has become accelerated.

Speed in the hiring process and creating a program to foster “good men” aren’t mutually exclusive. Just cause you spend a lot of time making your gumbo, doesn’t mean it won’t taste terrible cause you burnt the roux.

Comment

• In this day and age everything moves faster. I would assume they had a pretty good idea who they were targeting. Pretty sure that the candidates also would want to go quickly and get to work. Hoping that they can hang into a few of this kids that are in the portal. Not sure why you wouldn’t wait and meet with the new staff before making that decision but that’s the portal world we live in.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...AwzXbuMXcK6weA

what a shame

Comment

• Originally posted by Guest69 View Post
              If the First Premier ATM has been closed they might as well bring back Bob Young. Let him coach for a few years and groom the next guy who will absolutely win more than 70% of his games......or else.

Comment

• What a mess. I have zero faith in Gohl to make a good decision at this point

Comment

• Originally posted by Guest69 View Post
                  That does suck.

All conference LB transfers.

https://twitter.com/jantzrn/status/1...svznDSY9Q&s=19

Also Quality DB

https://twitter.com/Bojack__1/status...-Y865JCwg&s=19

I like how you can see former and current Coo players interacting in regards to this situation on Twitter. Does seem the transferring/ graduating players feel some sort of way.
                  Last edited by tman28; 11-22-2022, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tman28 View Post

That does suck.

All conference LB transfers.

https://twitter.com/jantzrn/status/1...svznDSY9Q&s=19

Also Quality DB

https://twitter.com/Bojack__1/status...-Y865JCwg&s=19

I like how you can see former and current Coo players interacting in regards to this situation on Twitter. Does seem the transferring/ graduating players feel some sort of way.
                    To be fair some of this kid’s transferring had already planned on before Anderson got fired but the way the situation was handled has caused the rest.

But the transfer situation might not be over. This with the coaching candidates spurning interviews is not a good look.

Whoever gets hired will have to work some magic with the portal to fill some obvious holes

Comment

• New coach has a LOT of work to do or USF could finish as low as 7th in the NSIC next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironlinks View Post
                        New coach has a LOT of work to do or USF could finish as low as 7th in the NSIC next year
                        There were 8 pretty good teams in the conference this season and SMSU is on the rise. I know it’s unfathomable for USF fans to think of a season in the bottom half of the NSIC, but if this hire goes sideways it’s not as far down as it used to be. To be clear, I don’t think that will happen but it is possible.

Comment

• USF has a great comfort level with who's come from the Bob Young coaching tree..as there's a lot of guys and obviously guys like Kalen DeBoer, Chuck Morrell, Ryan Grubb, etc Anyway, USF is run like a mom and pop, not like a big corporation. That said, they looked at both Josh Breske (BHSU HC) and Dusty Hovorka (Lindenwood-FCS OC) immediately after last Monday..and as of this moment it would seem both of those guys are very comfortable in their current roles..and they are staying put. I realize Nick Benedetto was mentioned, but he's too far done the road already and some others are as well in terms of D1 or they already have a better gig. I'm guessing USF felt like they'd be able to get one of those guys..and now, here we are.

From this point forward I think you'll see a combination of some other names who are coordinator level or similar from that coaching tree be sought out..along with taking a broader look at maybe some assistants that are in the playoffs..or maybe some top level NAIA head coaches. USF isn't exactly a wealthy school..so that coaching pool $$ will certainly be an ongoing factor and any potential head coach will want to be certain the $$ support is there from the school going forward.

With this being more of a mom and pop kinda hire, it could be handled more quickly than like with the MN system..which has a waiting period and layers of tape. It's kinda like the old John Wooden line..when considering the portal situation also...."be quick, but don't hurry", with regard to a head coaching hire. However, after their main targets declined, I think this could now take the course of most hires of this sort and include a true search and we might be looking at a hire by the end of the year..versus the end of November. With the holiday coming up here..this is just a hunch.

Like VKF stated..the departing coaching staff are very good people..as I stated in my pod last week when I spoke about this subject. Here’s to hoping they find suitable spots to continue their coaching career..heck, maybe within the league.

There’s no question Anderson and his staff were having success..their record shows that..not to mention not being a higher paid staff in the league. It’s apparent the ongoing after the whistle penalties came to a boiling point and the players coming unglued in the closing moments of the Wayne game painted a bad picture for a Christian University with recruits there and on senior day, etc. As a result, the administration got a ton of blowback from alums/donors to make a change, and that’s what occurred.

With the portal..and in today’s world decisions are made quickly, often times knee-jerk, and I think there's a bit of that anytime a staff is fired. While most of the time a program will say "you're gone" the moment you hit the portal, I think that I'd have pause in situations like this if I'm the new coach..as the reason the kids are in the portal is seemingly because of the indecision that came from the coach being let go in the first place. In these cases, I'd want to talk with those players..as the new coach..and let them know what you're all about and welcome them back in..if interested.

There isn’t a right answer for USF going forward on this hire. If they rush, you run the risk of not getting a person you truly want at this point..and if you take too long you risk having half of the football team in the portal. It feels at the moment like it’s going to get worse here for a stretch before it gets better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                            USF has a great comfort level with who's come from the Bob Young coaching tree..as there's a lot of guys and obviously guys like Kalen DeBoer, Chuck Morrell, Ryan Grubb, etc Anyway, USF is run like a mom and pop, not like a big corporation. That said, they looked at both Josh Breske (BHSU HC) and Dusty Hovorka (Lindenwood-FCS OC) immediately after last Monday..and as of this moment it would seem both of those guys are very comfortable in their current roles..and they are staying put. I realize Nick Benedetto was mentioned, but he's too far done the road already and some others are as well in terms of D1 or they already have a better gig. I'm guessing USF felt like they'd be able to get one of those guys..and now, here we are.

From this point forward I think you'll see a combination of some other names who are coordinator level or similar from that coaching tree be sought out..along with taking a broader look at maybe some assistants that are in the playoffs..or maybe some top level NAIA head coaches. USF isn't exactly a wealthy school..so that coaching pool $$ will certainly be an ongoing factor and any potential head coach will want to be certain the $$ support is there from the school going forward.

With this being more of a mom and pop kinda hire, it could be handled more quickly than like with the MN system..which has a waiting period and layers of tape. It's kinda like the old John Wooden line..when considering the portal situation also...."be quick, but don't hurry", with regard to a head coaching hire. However, after their main targets declined, I think this could now take the course of most hires of this sort and include a true search and we might be looking at a hire by the end of the year..versus the end of November. With the holiday coming up here..this is just a hunch.

Like VKF stated..the departing coaching staff are very good people..as I stated in my pod last week when I spoke about this subject. Here’s to hoping they find suitable spots to continue their coaching career..heck, maybe within the league.

There’s no question Anderson and his staff were having success..their record shows that..not to mention not being a higher paid staff in the league. It’s apparent the ongoing after the whistle penalties came to a boiling point and the players coming unglued in the closing moments of the Wayne game painted a bad picture for a Christian University with recruits there and on senior day, etc. As a result, the administration got a ton of blowback from alums/donors to make a change, and that’s what occurred.

With the portal..and in today’s world decisions are made quickly, often times knee-jerk, and I think there's a bit of that anytime a staff is fired. While most of the time a program will say "you're gone" the moment you hit the portal, I think that I'd have pause in situations like this if I'm the new coach..as the reason the kids are in the portal is seemingly because of the indecision that came from the coach being let go in the first place. In these cases, I'd want to talk with those players..as the new coach..and let them know what you're all about and welcome them back in..if interested.

There isn’t a right answer for USF going forward on this hire. If they rush, you run the risk of not getting a person you truly want at this point..and if you take too long you risk having half of the football team in the portal. It feels at the moment like it’s going to get worse here for a stretch before it gets better.
                            Thanks for the insight Witt. USF is a great program with great people hoping everyone who has been misplaced gets a job in place moving towards next season. This is an interesting scenario, it reminds me of when Alabama football only hired from within the Bear Bryant coaching tree for the longest time. I think Nick Saban was one of the first hires that wasn't from his coaching tree. Will be interested to see if they sway away from the Young coaching tree on this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                              USF has a great comfort level with who's come from the Bob Young coaching tree..as there's a lot of guys and obviously guys like Kalen DeBoer, Chuck Morrell, Ryan Grubb, etc Anyway, USF is run like a mom and pop, not like a big corporation. That said, they looked at both Josh Breske (BHSU HC) and Dusty Hovorka (Lindenwood-FCS OC) immediately after last Monday..and as of this moment it would seem both of those guys are very comfortable in their current roles..and they are staying put. I realize Nick Benedetto was mentioned, but he's too far done the road already and some others are as well in terms of D1 or they already have a better gig. I'm guessing USF felt like they'd be able to get one of those guys..and now, here we are.

I’m curious of what makes this an attractive job? Max exodus of players, seeing how the last staff was let go, obviously a lower paying position I’m finding out now, an AD who doesn’t seem to care of the football program wins or loses?
                              Why only hire from the USF coaching tree? Why not find the best candidates available?

Comment

• Curious, was Jed Stugart part of the Bob young coaching tree? One thing for sure he is a hell of a coach.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X