Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Curious, was Jed Stugart part of the Bob young coaching tree? One thing for sure he is a hell of a coach.
    He was not. Interestingly, Kalen DeBoer recommended him. They got to know each other in 2008 when USF had to face Langston in the NAIA playoffs..who'd just beaten Jed's MNU squad (KS)..and they Jed reached out to Kalen to let him know that Langston kinda tried to bully his squad and there was a bunch of drama on the field before kickoff..and such. They ended up striking up a friendship. USF beat Langston later that week.

Comment

• Originally posted by USFIllini View Post
      I’m curious of what makes this an attractive job? Max exodus of players, seeing how the last staff was let go, obviously a lower paying position I’m finding out now, an AD who doesn’t seem to care of the football program wins or loses?
      Why only hire from the USF coaching tree? Why not find the best candidates available?
      I realize you are newer to the USF program, but out in these parts the USF Cougar football program is well known for their massive success in the NAIA world and then they parlayed that into a very successful transition to D2. Frankly, they haven't had a lot of $$ during this time and NSIC coaches in general aren't real well paid..a fact that I think is relatively untold. I realize you were hoping the coaches were going to talk with the players after being fired, but honestly that's not how an exit like this happens.

I could be wildly mistaken, but I think some of the portal guys stay. It's a problem, for sure, but the portal is real part of any coaching change in 2022.

Why USF would want to hire from the Bob Young coaching tree..you'd kinda have to know Bob Young and what he means to this program. Kalen DeBoer (Washington Huskies) is from that coaching tree, along with his existing staff. Certainly it's not all they are looking at..but to get someone who's still playing football (playoffs) is going to take some time as well.

I wont agree with your take on the AD and things like that, but I can see your frustration with this process. I'm looking more here and on our pod about what the future brings.

Comment

I’m curious of what makes this an attractive job? Max exodus of players, seeing how the last staff was let go, obviously a lower paying position I’m finding out now, an AD who doesn’t seem to care of the football program wins or loses?
        Why only hire from the USF coaching tree? Why not find the best candidates available?
        USF only lost two games the first year that they joined the NSIC in 2012- a one point loss at Winona and a tough loss at undefeated MSU. They should have made the playoffs but that was in the days that only six made it. Regardless, they transitioned from the NAIA to D2 seamlessly. They haven't been a one year wonder, they are a contender year in and year out. They are a football school- that makes them attractive.

2012 Football Schedule - University of Sioux Falls Athletics (usfcougars.com)

Comment

• Seeing some of the USF guys in the portal getting offers from other NSIC schools. Is that possible for an undergraduate transfer?

Comment

• USF needs to be careful what they wish for. Nebraska used to be a big time program that was too good for a 8 to 9 win coach too and well…

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post
              USF needs to be careful what they wish for. Nebraska used to be a big time program that was too good for a 8 to 9 win coach too and well…
              Reading between the lines from quotes from the coach and the school, it appears that on-field results have nothing to do with the separation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Reading between the lines from quotes from the coach and the school, it appears that on-field results have nothing to do with the separation.
                Looks like it. More information coming out from within the programs football alumni. Interesting because I could never see crazy situations arise with such a nice guy like coach Anderson. But seems like a change may be needed in retrospect. Happy Thanksgiving!
                Last edited by tman28; 11-24-2022, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Seeing some of the USF guys in the portal getting offers from other NSIC schools. Is that possible for an undergraduate transfer?
                  Absolutely possible. There are not rules about conferences and stuff in the portal. In the old days, D1 programs (I’d assume other levels as well) would authorize a transfer, but block certain schools or within the conference. With the portal, the player is much more in control and can go wherever

Comment

• Landon Freeman scholarship offer to D1 FCS Samford. USF coaching Pipeline at work there. Hakeem Johnson a former USF DB just recieved 2nd tm All conference for Samford. Jordan Knapke a former USF DB also recieved 3rd tm All Conference for Northern Colorado as well. Seeing a theme.... would like to keep these top notch recruits as I believe Justin Mathuei is as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeFBGuy View Post

Absolutely possible. There are not rules about conferences and stuff in the portal. In the old days, D1 programs (I’d assume other levels as well) would authorize a transfer, but block certain schools or within the conference. With the portal, the player is much more in control and can go wherever
                      Hoops used to have a rule blocking in-conference transfers with immediate eligibility, but I don't think that's the case on the football side.

Comment

• The silence regarding this coaching search is fairly enjoyable as a fan of an opposing school.

in related news the portal gets another one:

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...z_QcE4M3Q&s=19

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                          The silence regarding this coaching search is fairly enjoyable as a fan of an opposing school.

in related news the portal gets another one:

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...z_QcE4M3Q&s=19
                          He won't be playing D2 next season

D line was their strength on defense last year and 9 guys who got meaningful playing time have either used up eligibility or transferred. Don't know what to make of next season

Comment

He won't be playing D2 next season

D line was their strength on defense last year and 9 guys who got meaningful playing time have either used up eligibility or transferred. Don't know what to make of next season
                            Yup. Conor Rice too. They have to hit Transfer Portal hard. But this usually means rebuild.

Comment

• The thought with Durfee is he was going to likely be gone either way..as the Argus article a month ago had propped him up in a such a way that he was likely going to end up at D1. The coaching staff even told me that before the year.."we are going to have a hard time keeping this guy"..

Since the initial candidates didn't pan out for the administration, I think this second portion of search has likely moved out in scope to outside the initial coaching tree..and the Thanksgiving holiday wasn't good timing for them as it slowed things down with needed people not on campus much of last week. I think there's a real chance something could occur yet this week, as we saw with Winona..sometimes there are a few layers to these things as that search took much longer than this..SMSU wasn't a sprint either. The sudden firing has likely jilted the players more than the turnover at a Winona..where they knew Sawyer was done at the end of the season well in advance.

This is just another example of how the portal will change processes for programs going forward.

Comment

• Yes, I’m hearing Durfee has had some P5 communication . Will be interesting. I was hoping the new coach could keep a few of these guys but unless something happens soon, that will be a long shot.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X