Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 5 Chat

Might as well get the chat going for this week:

Minnesota State-Moorhead at Minnesota-Duluth (12:00)
    Minnesota State-Mankato at Concordia-St. Paul (12:00)
    Wayne State at Winona State (1:00)
    Bemidji State at Minot State (1:00)
    Sioux Falls at Augustana (1:00)
    Northern State at Mary (2:00)
    Upper Iowa at Southwest Minnesota State (5:00)

I think five of the seven games (barring an upset) are heavily favored by one team. I think Wayne has a bit of an advantage over Winona, but I could see that one getting competitive.

GOTW is Sioux Falls @ Augie. To my eye both teams look pretty close this year and it seems like this pick is a coin flip. Should be a good game.

We are planning to have a special guest on the pod this week since it's Key week.

Winona, playing their best football of the year last week....hosting unbeaten Wayne.....interesting.

Comment

Game of the Week: Key to the City.

Next in line: the Battle of the W's.

Comment

Good start Tundra. My nickels’ worth on the Key to the City.... 1) USF better have more offense than run right-run left because Augie’s run defense is too good 2) USF needs to pass like on their last drive vs Duluth (although Duluth may have been in too much prevent) 3) Not sure if Epperson plays or not – haven’t heard anything…he is a major weapon for Augie’s offense. 4) Outside of weird bounces etc, the team with better 0-line play wins this game. 5) USF defense needs a better showing than they had vs. Duluth.

Comment

Come on, it's Beaver Bash week! Everyone knows that is the game of the week, regardless of records.

Almost as good as last week's Beavers/Peacocks affair.

:)
          Millsy

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post
            Might as well get the chat going for this week:

Minnesota State-Moorhead at Minnesota-Duluth (12:00)
            Minnesota State-Mankato at Concordia-St. Paul (12:00)
            Wayne State at Winona State (1:00)
            Bemidji State at Minot State (1:00)
            Sioux Falls at Augustana (1:00)
            Northern State at Mary (2:00)
            Upper Iowa at Southwest Minnesota State (5:00)

I think five of the seven games (barring an upset) are heavily favored by one team. I think Wayne has a bit of an advantage over Winona, but I could see that one getting competitive.

GOTW is Sioux Falls @ Augie. To my eye both teams look pretty close this year and it seems like this pick is a coin flip. Should be a good game.
            I'm not so sure about that many games having heavy favorites.

Minnesota State-Moorhead at Minnesota-Duluth - Duluth should be pretty heavily favored in this one as the Dragons have not gotten their offense off to the start they had hoped.

Minnesota State-Mankato at Concordia-St. Paul - Mankato historically would be a huge favorite here, however I don't think the Mavs can be considered a lock at this point.

Wayne State at Winona State - This should be a great game.

Bemidji State at Minot State - Minot had their chance last week. Green Beavers win big this week.

Sioux Falls at Augustana - As everyone has said, this is the Game of the Week. USF has kind of owned this series over "big brother" and I think they can keep it going.

Northern State at Mary - This game will be close. Mary is 0-4, but have been in every game. Their offense hasn't been nearly as good as last year, but they are still dangerous. The NSU offense isn't good enough to win any games big at this point.

Upper Iowa at Southwest Minnesota State - SMSU has been the surprise of the season with coach Underwood. However, last week showed they are still in the bottom half of the conference. This may be the Mustangs last chance at a win as the schedule gets MUCH tougher after this week. I think the Peacocks will put up a good fight and I expect this game to be close as well.

Comment

It should be an interesting one in Duluth this weekend if nothing else to see who will be playing and if they change anything up. Carmickle continues to be in street clothes so I'm hopeful he gets to a spot where he is able to play. Too good of a player to miss out on his last year of college football. QB room continues to be a crap shoot. Graetz, Olson, Walljasper, Elmes, and Ojile have all lined up at QB in only 4 games. Wonder if any other team in the conference has had 5 different players at QB already this season. I look at their record of 2-2 and look at it two different ways. First, they really should be 3-1 or 4-0 and some bad decisions and poor special teams play has put them to 2-2 but they will win out and make the playoffs. I also look at it as they have yet to impress all year, played not to lose instead of to win last week in Sioux Falls, cant figure out the QB position (kind of an important position), and end up losing 2-3 more going 7-4 or 6-5.

I thought this would be a much better year for Duluth as they have quite a bit of talent but just cant seem to put it together. I really worry about what 2023 will look like.

Comment

SF won last year with the passing game but if I recall Reisdorfer was fighting an injury which helped limit his production. Augie pass defense is better this year but the coach still likes to dedicate safeties to the run and leave CB's on their own. Hopefully he'll pay more attention to that this week. I also worry about both QB's being healthy and the potential for ruining any rhythm on offense. But if they get those situations game planned and Augie comes to play, Saturday will be a very good day for the Vikings!
                Last edited by BIGvikingFan; 09-27-2022, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately, as an Augustana fan I'm conditioned to expect the worst against the Coo in the key to the city game, but hope springs eternal. The match brings two excellent running and defensive teams. The quarterback advantage goes to USF as Mullen is in his 2nd year starting, while Scholten will starting his 3rd game. I'm thinking maybe using Bauman in RPO situations if he is healthy would be wise. Should be a great game and I believe this is Augie's year. Go Vikings.

Comment

Matt Zimmer's article on the Key To The City game: https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...l/69521225007/

Comment

Excited for the Mustangs matchup against the Peacocks of Upper Iowa - usually a good game between the two. I think it will be a lot like last week, Mustangs put points up early, UIU comes back a bit, and SMSU escapes with a 3-10 point victory.

We're probably in for some heartbreak in the following weeks, but I'm pretty impressed with the year one improvement we've seen thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post

I'm not so sure about that many games having heavy favorites.

Minnesota State-Moorhead at Minnesota-Duluth - Duluth should be pretty heavily favored in this one as the Dragons have not gotten their offense off to the start they had hoped.

Minnesota State-Mankato at Concordia-St. Paul - Mankato historically would be a huge favorite here, however I don't think the Mavs can be considered a lock at this point.

Wayne State at Winona State - This should be a great game.

Bemidji State at Minot State - Minot had their chance last week. Green Beavers win big this week.

Sioux Falls at Augustana - As everyone has said, this is the Game of the Week. USF has kind of owned this series over "big brother" and I think they can keep it going.

Northern State at Mary - This game will be close. Mary is 0-4, but have been in every game. Their offense hasn't been nearly as good as last year, but they are still dangerous. The NSU offense isn't good enough to win any games big at this point.

Upper Iowa at Southwest Minnesota State - SMSU has been the surprise of the season with coach Underwood. However, last week showed they are still in the bottom half of the conference. This may be the Mustangs last chance at a win as the schedule gets MUCH tougher after this week. I think the Peacocks will put up a good fight and I expect this game to be close as well.
                        Must win game for UMary. Not sure whats going on this year with the offense, took a major step back. I thought someone would step up for Little. Has not happened. Also they have not hired an AD as of yet. Odd times for sure.

Comment

Second thoughts on the Key to the City game. Looking at the stats, both teams have played have played one tough game (could be argued Augie has played two) and the stats are very similar. After watching games both teams have played again....the team with better o-line play will probably win. I believe Augie has a better secondary and will be the key to Augie winning. Finally, the "want to" factor is huge in this game, the team with more "want to" for 4 quarters will win.

Comment

Since you guys have the Week 5 chat rolling along here, I will just link my column here. I'm once again joined by Tom Frederick, radio voice for USF..but then were have Jeff Fylling, who is buddies with Tom and also the longtime radio voice for Augie with us from about the middle of the show.

We also pick the top 5 ball carriers in the last decade of NSIC football..and listener mailbag..

https://www.d2football.com/nsic-week-five-preview-2022/

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                              Since you guys have the Week 5 chat rolling along here, I will just link my column here. I'm once again joined by Tom Frederick, radio voice for USF..but then were have Jeff Fylling, who is buddies with Tom and also the longtime radio voice for Augie with us from about the middle of the show.

We also pick the top 5 ball carriers in the last decade of NSIC football..and listener mailbag..
                              https://www.d2football.com/nsic-week-five-preview-2022/
                              Again, thanks for the podcast. Was great to hear Jeff Fylling on the show.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X