Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inkblot
    replied
    The GLVC offers every team sport Upper Iowa has. UIU men's soccer and women's lacrosse compete in the GLIAC.

Interesting to note that Jamestown also has men's soccer, so they'd need a home if they go D2.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder
    replied
    So this move doesn't seem to be necessarily about the travel. There are 3 NSIC teams closer than any GLVC. Travel within the South is much better than the GLVC in total. Yes, UIU gets to avoid the long trips to Mary and Minot but those are not every year. Is this because there are more sports offered in the GLVC? Correct me if I'm incorrect, but on the whole I think the NSIC has a higher level of competition than the GLVC. I'd be interested to hear the reasons for a possible move.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post
    Upper Iowa (and St Cloud) are in the GLIAC for men's soccer. Someone could figure out the mileage for UIU to the GLVC compared to the NSIC- I would guess that it might be shorter- I just don't know how much. I could see it happen.
    Glad you asked (all mileages and travel times are estimates via Google Maps):

UIU travel times/distances to current GLVC schools:

GLVC Football Schools

Indianapolis: 458 mi; 7 hr
    McKendree: 376 mi; 6 hr
    Missouri S&T: 393 mi; 6 hr 45 min
    Quincy: 224 mi; 3 hr 45 min
    Truman State: 251 mi; 4 hr 20 min
    Southwest Baptist: 448 mi; 7 hr 30 min
    William Jewell: 344 mi; 5 hr 30 min

GLVC Non-Football Schools

Drury: 465 mi; 7 hr 45 min
    Illinois-Springfield: 318 mi; 5 hr
    Lewis: 279 mi; 4 hr 45 min
    Maryville: 336 mi; 5 hr 30 min
    Missouri-St Louis: 342 mi; 5 hr 30 min
    Rockhurst: 363 mi; 6 hr

UIU Travel Times/distances to current NSIC schools:

Southern Division:

Augustana: 310 mi; 5 hr
    Concordia-St Paul: 186 mi; 3 hr 45 min
    Minnesota State-Mankato: 187 mi; 3 hr 15 min
    Sioux Falls: 309 mi; 5 hr
    Southwest Minnesota: 308 mi; 5 hr 15 min
    Wayne State (Neb.): 306 mi; 5 hr 15 min
    Winona State: 100 mi; 2 hr 5 min

Northern Division:

Bemidji State: 444 mi; 7 hr 15 min
    Mary: 623 mi; 10 hr
    Minnesota-Crookston (non-football): 518 mi; 8 hr 15 min
    Minnesota-Duluth: 335 mi; 5 hr 30 min
    Minnesota State-Moorhead: 425 mi; 7 hr
    Minot State: 692 mi; 11 hr 15 min
    Northern State: 502 mi; 7 hr 45 min
    St Cloud State (non-football): 256 mi; 4 hr 30 min

Mileage wise, it's almost a wash between the average road trip in the GLVC and the averages in the NSIC:

Average travel distance from UIU to all GLVC schools: 353.6 miles
    Average travel distance from UIU to GLVC football schools: 356.3 miles
    Average travel distance from UIU to GLVC non-football schools: 350.5 miles

Average travel distance from UIU to all NSIC schools: 366.7 miles
    Average travel distance from UIU to NSIC Southern Division football schools*: 253.3 miles
    Average travel distance from UIU to NSIC Southern Division schools (with Concordia-St Paul): 243.7 miles

* Concordia-St Paul competes in the NSIC North for football and NSIC South in most other sports

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

Both Jamestown and Dakota state are clear speculation. One of those two may make the most sense if UIU leaves, but certainly no guarantees that either would make the jump.
    Oh, gotcha. I could honestly see it happening with either one at some point, but I'd peg Jamestown first.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder
    replied
    Originally posted by WPHB View Post
    If I missed this, then please forgive. Is there a need to replace? Seems like a lot of teams in NSIC already and just as a thought exercise was wondering why replace. Obviously, it would lead to unbalanced divisions and hell for schedule makers, but seems doable. What am I missing?
    The more I look at it, the more I think it is feasible. The GLIAC (Michigan) and GLVC (Missouri) currently operate with 7 teams so they already have non-con games late in the year. If UIU joins the GLVC that gives them 8 football schools. There are natural opponents for NSU, Mary, and Minot with the SD RMAC teams and Chadron. Augie, USF, and Wayne could also play them as the RMAC has 2 non-con games each year. The rest of the RMAC in Colorado would be doable, but a little farther. The other conferences to schedule would be GMAC (Ohio) and LSC (Texas). Those would be longer trips, but one every 2 years should be possible to fit into an athletic department budget. The biggest hurdle would still be working with other conferences to ensure we could have non-con games in the middle and end of the season. GLIAC would be easier as they also have an odd number of teams. The others would have to be willing to accommodate the NSIC which would make their own scheduling more difficult.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder
    replied
    If I missed this, then please forgive. Is there a need to replace? Seems like a lot of teams in NSIC already and just as a thought exercise was wondering why replace. Obviously, it would lead to unbalanced divisions and hell for schedule makers, but seems doable. What am I missing?
    This would be the biggest reason by far. I think it could be doable with abolishing divisions and playing 10 conference games. This would give each team one non conference game each year. That has long been a wish for many, especially the top teams in the conference. However, under this scenario it would require there to be one team each week with a non-con game (one week would have three teams). I can imagine trying to schedule a non-con game for most of the conference will be a little difficult even early in the season. Trying to schedule a nonconference game for Week 11 will be almost impossible. Life is a lot easier when you have your schedules ready to go, but I guess that is one of the reasons ADs have jobs too, they should be able to figure out one nonconference football game a year...

Leave a comment:

• Tundra_Man
    replied
    I believe you hit the nail on the head as to why the NSIC would be interested in a replacement team. Similar to silo-scheduling: while it's not popular with fans, it is very popular with the decision makers because it makes scheduling a lot easier.

Leave a comment:

• WPHB
    replied

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Upper Iowa (and St Cloud) are in the GLIAC for men's soccer. Someone could figure out the mileage for UIU to the GLVC compared to the NSIC- I would guess that it might be shorter- I just don't know how much. I could see it happen.

I would dismiss Dakota State even with the plans for great new facilities. Jamestown would make more sense but they haven't been setting the world on fire, at least in football, in the GPAC which is IMO the top conference in that sport in the NAIA.

Now Morningside would be great- top dog not only in the GPAC but also in the entire NAIA in football. They are already inside the NSIC footprint. I did talk at length about this with one of the Morningside coaches when I watched the Mavs practice in their stadium the night before they played at Wayne back in 2019. He told me that they were happy where they were, especially competing not just for a conference championship but a national one. Made sense.

Like Kearney, outside the footprint- Grand View. A long trip to Des Moines but they have built a great program.
    Last edited by laker; 11-02-2022, 08:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Witwicki
    replied
    Here is what I've heard over the years..

UIU has shown interest in the GLVC before but word was in the past the GLVC wasn't offering. The GLVC makes more sense for UIU due to competitive level, proximity (at least a little better anyhow), and more peer schools seemingly in the GLVC. Since late 2021, I've been getting text messages and such about this idea..so it's not new.

Like some others have eluded to....other than the future facility plans for DSU, they don't seem ready for such a jump....or at least this soon. It's not like they've been wow in NAIA athletics. There's no question their future facilities look outstanding..no matter NAIA or D2.

Assuming there is a replacement need....Jamestown seems to be the most credible solution..as they've expressed potential interest and have schools up near them with Mary-Minot-Moorhead-Northern within a few hours each, etc. At face value they look a little more ready-right-now also.

A friend of mine said don't sleep on the Morningside idea. With a newer Athletic Director who might have ambitions above their current accomplishments in the NAIA.

I assume a Neb Kearney is a little too far away, being 3 hours past Wayne....creating a new geographic outpost. I'm guessing the league would much rather stay within the existing footprint.

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I think the latter is just speculation based on facilities upgrades. I'm not sure their AD is ready to make that jump.
    Both Jamestown and Dakota state are clear speculation. One of those two may make the most sense if UIU leaves, but certainly no guarantees that either would make the jump.

Leave a comment:

• ESU Warrior
    replied
    Dakota State's future plans for facilities;

https://dsu.edu/trojans-unite.html

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    I have heard this rumor and also that Jamestown or Dakota State have been rumored as possible future replacement for UIU.
    I think the latter is just speculation based on facilities upgrades. I'm not sure their AD is ready to make that jump.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied
    This makes much more sense than an Assistant Coach who's telling his Girlfriend that they're dropping to D3 lol....hearing that 3rd hand. I figured that was B.S.

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied
    I have heard this rumor and also that Jamestown or Dakota State have been rumored as possible future replacement for UIU.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X